testing physicality of running backs

aubiefifty

Auburn testing physicality of running backs early in spring practice

Updated Mar 12, 9:00 AM; Posted Mar 12, 9:00 AM

Gallery: Auburn Spring Football Practice: March 6, 2018

0 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Having to replace its Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway in the fall, Auburn is putting its running backs through a physical gauntlet this spring to see if a leader emerges from the back.

The Tigers have five running backs on the roster and two signees due to arrive in the summer. Quarterbacks aren't live and the first two practices of spring weren't in pads, but the two last week prior to spring break featured hits on the running backs.

"I felt it was real important that we get our running backs tackled," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said, "and also protecting live and everything that went with it."

Kam Martin, Malik Miller, Devan Barrett, JaTarvious Whitlow and Asa Martin are splitting reps and each trying to show they're worthy of significant playing time. That's not to exclude signees Shaun Shivers and Harold Joiner.

Middle linebacker DeShaun Davis cited Martin and Whitlow as having particularly good outings last Tuesday.

The defense intends to do its part in sorting out the competition in the offensive backfield.

"We are a defense, but at the end of the day we are the Auburn Tigers," Davis said. "For us to be successful, they have to be successful. We've seen a year when they move the ball well and put up points and seen a year where they struggle and don't put up points.

"We know in our offense the running back is a very critical position. We are going to lean on the running game and I know the coaches want to see who is going to actually take that next step and be the man. It's our job as a defense to get the best out of those guys."

Johnson believes there's a chance four or five backs could play over the course of next season, which could give Auburn a stable of rushers like Georgia had last season.

"All those guys are very talented. All those guys are willing to work," Johnson said. "It hasn't been like that since my freshman year. We've had three or four running backs on scholarship and one of us would be hurt at different times. I think they have a real chance to play four or five and I think they would really chance to be really good.

"... It's just one of them eventually is going to have to step up and say, 'Hey, I am the lead dog.' There's nothing wrong with that and there's no disrespect to the other ones. They're all really talented but one of them has to step up and say, 'I know the coaches can count on me 100 percent of the time.' That's where the real competition is."

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

50 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Middle linebacker DeShaun Davis cited Martin and Whitlow as having particularly good outings last Tuesday.

WHICH MARTIN!?!?!?! Creepy is never going to stop trolling this fanbase.

(Mostly sarcasm.)

i am pretty sure it is asa martin........would you rather the board remain dead cus that is all i can find. shrugs........

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i am pretty sure it is asa martin........would you rather the board remain dead cus that is all i can find. shrugs........

He's not dogging on you, 50, he's dogging on Crepa for, once again, not doing his job very well.  We ALL appreciate you posting the article, but we're also going to rag on the writers when they do a sub par job.

Oh... and I hope it's Asa. It would be awesome to have a freshman ready to go out of the gate.

10 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Haha, I get why you said that Fifty, but I am not complaining about you posting the article at all. And a spiteful little dweeb is a better beat writer than no beat writer. And he doesn't have the easiest assignment.

I actually logged on this morning hoping for informative aubiefifty posts, and you delivered! Much obliged. 

On March 13, 2018 at 9:56 AM, aubiefifty said:

I would agree. Kam Martin is not a 20 carry a game back. He is way too small. I hope they give Joiner a real chance when he arrives and don't just auto move him to receiver. 

20 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

I would agree. Kam Martin is not a 20 carry a game back. He is way too small. I hope they give Joiner a real chance when he arrives and don't just auto move him to receiver. 

I don't know Kam's measurements (and frankly too lazy to look them up) but this was repeatedly said about KJ over the last 3 years.  Just saying....

Note: And yes I know he was injured every year, but when he was healthy he was definitely carrying the rock more than 20 a game.

29 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I don't know Kam's measurements (and frankly too lazy to look them up) but this was repeatedly said about KJ over the last 3 years.  Just saying....

Note: And yes I know he was injured every year, but when he was healthy he was definitely carrying the rock more than 20 a game.

Also, I'm not sure how we got from Davis saying "Martin and Whitlow in particular had good days" to "Martin and Whitlow are 20-carry-a-game guys". "We" will never stop fetishizing big RBs, though. 

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, I'm not sure how we got from Davis saying "Martin and Whitlow in particular had good days" to "Martin and Whitlow are 20-carry-a-game guys". "We" will never stop fetishizing big RBs, though. 

At least we have great kickers though....

Archived