Gatewood responding well

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think we will be for a pleasant surprise if he has to take the reigns for some odd reason.

I have to cop to backup QB-itis with him. Not in the crazy, "bench the future draft pick" sense. But in the "it's fun to watch that guy play football and I want to watch some more of it" sense. He's electric. And he's getting the right kind of praise from the people watching him practice.

(This is where I'll remind everyone that Jeremy Johnson- like the Kick Six, Cam Newton, Kevin Greene and Bo Jackson- was a very unusual thing that you should not expect to happen again at Auburn anytime soon, if ever.)

So if things remain on schedule (lol) this is what we will look like, if I'm not mistaken:

Stidham 2018

Willis 2019 (assuming Stid goes pro) as a junior

Willis 2020 as a senior

Gatewood 2021 as a RS junior

Gatewood 2022 as a RS Senior

Nix 2023 as a Senior

Now I'm not naive enough to think this is how it will actually pan out. In fact if history is any indication, I'd say there's just as good of a chance that our starter in 2021 or 2022 is someone that has not even been mentioned on this board one time and is currently on someone else's roster and will transfer to us for whatever reason.

Not even Viper could've predicted Nick Marshall would be our QB for 2013 back in 2011 when NM was a HS senior. Or Jarrett freaking Stidham would be our QB for 2017 back while the 2015 class was choosing their schools. Or Cam Newton would be AU's best QB back in 2007...

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I think we will be for a pleasant surprise if he has to take the reigns for some odd reason.

One hopes.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

So if things remain on schedule (lol) this is what we will look like, if I'm not mistaken:

Stidham 2018

Willis 2019 (assuming Stid goes pro) as a junior

Willis 2020 as a senior

Gatewood 2021 as a RS junior

Gatewood 2022 as a RS Senior

Nix 2023 as a Senior

Now I'm not naive enough to think this is how it will actually pan out. In fact if history is any indication, I'd say there's just as good of a chance that our starter in 2021 or 2022 is someone that has not even been mentioned on this board one time and is currently on someone else's roster and will transfer to us for whatever reason.

Not even Viper could've predicted Nick Marshall would be our QB for 2013 back in 2011 when NM was a HS senior. Or Jarrett freaking Stidham would be our QB for 2017 back while the 2015 class was choosing their schools. Or Cam Newton would be AU's best QB back in 2007...

I remember seeing Cam say he was considering Auburn out of high school, but we had one Kodi Burns committed. Funny they both wound up on the same team, but after Burns had changed positions.

I hope Gatewood is the man even next season. Not a knock on Willis, but I just really want to see what he can do.

Not in the least bit surprised Gatewood needs work, E and an host of others pretty much warned us that he was raw and would take some time.

I did not think Gatewood would come in and be a Heisman candidate after his freshman season. Give the kid some time and he will shine like we all want him to. We are in good hands with MW & JS for 2018. This is a good thing no doubt while JG gets comfortable with running the offense. Red shirt for JG is likely for 2018 while he learns the ropes.

Optimally we can redshirt JG.  I'm just glad we seem to be off of that "new QB starter every year" treadmill we were on. This is the most talented trio we've had at one time in a long time. 

8 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Optimally we can redshirt JG.  I'm just glad we seem to be off of that "new QB starter every year" treadmill we were on. This is the most talented trio we've had at one time in a long time. 

Amen. 2014 wasn't that long ago, but it feels like a *very* long time ago. And if you include Cox and Willis, that was 6 QBs ago. 

19 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So Gatewood is who we thought he'd be....highest upside of all our QBs, but has a looong way to go.  He and Bo Nix should have a heck of a competition one day, after Malik has graduated. 

Some of us, yes. 

Super hypothetical but if Gatewood were to go down as a starter in 2022 we know the Nix guys have a way of coming in during tough times and thriving.  

On 3/13/2018 at 10:04 AM, lionheartkc said:

In some ways, these articles are painful to read because it feels like the players/coaches are giving canned compliments, first because they haven't really had time to assess the new players, and second, because they are freshman and the odds are soundly against them coming in and being amazing right away. I just feel like, if they said what they were really thinking it would go more like "I know you want him to be great, I do too, but he's a freshman, so he's just kind of a ball of talent with a lot of learning to do. Right now, he probably wouldn't start for UAB." 

Aside from that, I wonder what level of playing time he will see on A-Day. It will be fun to see him out there.

That's one way to put a really negative spin on compliments. Keep up the bad work.

4 hours ago, blueridge said:

That's one way to put a really negative spin on compliments. Keep up the bad work.

LMAO, you are bashing one of the most pro-AU sunshine posters on this board.  

wde

I cannot remember when we had this good of a problem at the QB position. This is a good problem in that we have elevated our talent level at the QB position with JS, MW, JG and Bo Nix when he hits the plains. I am not in the least bit concerned if MW has to step in for JS if the situation arises. I have a feeling that MW will see the field a good deal in 2018 in a very good way. 

Archived