AU RBs in NFL - Contract News

RunInRed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All colleges like to say it, but Auburn really is RBU.  With our success over the past 10 years of 1,000 yard rushers and the ability to get guys in the NFL, no one can really argue with that.  Not to mention, we have had a history of developing 3* guys into top tier players.

24 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

All colleges like to say it, but Auburn really is RBU.  With our success over the past 10 years of 1,000 yard rushers and the ability to get guys in the NFL, no one can really argue with that.  Not to mention, we have had a history of developing 3* guys into top tier players.

I'm gonna have to disagree here.  Sure, we have 1000 yard rushers, but its not hard to do with our offense.  If we were truly RBU we wouldn't be whiffing on all the top RB recruits.  Look at Bama, Oklahoma and OSU and their RBs in the NFL currently..

3 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I'm gonna have to disagree here.  Sure, we have 1000 yard rushers, but its not hard to do with our offense.  If we were truly RBU we wouldn't be whiffing on all the top RB recruits.  Look at Bama, Oklahoma and OSU and their RBs in the NFL currently..

Yeah Bama backs are trash in the NFL because they're overused, burned out, and over bulked. Don't know enough about OU backs to really tell you but not many have had our consistent RB success in the NFL.

27 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Over the past 10 years, bama has destroyed us in this department. And, after this draft, uga will be ahead of us, too.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yeah Bama backs are trash in the NFL because they're overused, burned out, and over bulked. Don't know enough about OU backs to really tell you but not many have had our consistent RB success in the NFL.

Which Auburn RB recently has had a successful NFL career?

I'll give you Eddie Lacy and Trent Richardson, but Bama has Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake and TJ Yeldon all getting significant playing time currently in the NFL.

Oklahoma has DeMarco Murray, Adrian Peterson, Perine and Mixon should be starting for Cincy this year.

Ohio State - Ezekiel Elliot

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Over the past 10 years, bama has destroyed us in this department. And, after this draft, uga will be ahead of us, too.

This is exactly right.  Just because we have a couple RBs in the NFL is no reason to call us RBU.  Look at their production, use, NFL reputation and salaries and then get back to me.  Bama & UGa both have top tier RBs playing on teams that are game planned around.  Not knocking the achievements by Grant, Barber or any player making it professionally.  Just saying that the top tier RBs in the NFL right now are not ex-AU players.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Huh? I really don't understand how this myth persists. Trent Richardson is the only saban-at-bama RB to bust in the NFL. Mark Ingram just had a 1,000 yard season. Tennessee just made roster moves to officially make Henry their starter after 744 yards last season. Lacy had over 1,100 yards in each of his first two seasons. Yeldon is ahead of Grant on Jacksonville's depth chart. Kenyan freaking Drake had over 600 yards for Miami last year.

Our consistent RB success in the NFL??? That's nuts, my man. We haven't had a guy with a meaningful NFL career since Ronnie Brown. Maybe we would have if injuries hadn't taken down Tate, Irons and Caddy, but they did. Rudi Johnson, Stephen Davis, Bo Jackson... I mean, that's going back over 30 years now. Who else ya got? For a team that cranks out all these 1,000 yard rushers, I would call our NFL success to be the exact opposite of consistent.

1 minute ago, LKEEL75 said:

This is exactly right.  Just because we have a couple RBs in the NFL is no reason to call us RBU.  Look at their production, use, NFL reputation and salaries and then get back to me.  Bama & UGa both have top tier RBs playing on teams that are game planned around.  Not knocking the achievements by Grant, Barber or any player making it professionally.  Just saying that the top tier RBs in the NFL right now are not ex-AU players.

And we really need to change that.

There's definitely a bad luck element to it. Jovon Robinson and Mike Dyer absolutely could have been that kind of guy. Tate, too. Tre could have had a nice career in one of the several committees you see in the NFL now. Caddy was a monster but just wasn't constructed to carry the ball 30 times a game in the NFL (not that many guys are) and the Bucs just chewed him up. Irons got sniped before he even got a shot. Mario Fannin was making a little noise in Denver camps but kept getting hurt. Even Bo Jackson's career was way too short. I mean, damn, that sucks! But it doesn't change the end result. We cannot claim a recent pattern of success in the NFL.

@McLoofus you can’t credit Eddie Lacy’s two non-fat seasons in one breathe and discount Cadillac’s career in the next. Cadillac matched Lacy’s best single season, and he kept getting checks after coming back from a surgery that no RB had ever returned from in NFL history. And he had that surgery twice, each knee. Notably, they have the same number of 1000 yard total yardage seasons (2) and another with just under it. Plus, again, Lacy can’t get a job seven years out. Any RB that wins ROY and remains a contributing RB for seven years had a meaningful career. 

I don’t disagree that AU backs have not had great careers, but that was straight disrespect you threw at Cadillac. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

In that time period we have put in Ben Tate, Tre Mason, CAP, Peyton Barber, Corey Grant, and maybe one other that I am forgetting.  In this years draft we have two RB's that could be drafted.  I still put us ahead of Alabama and Georgia.  

58 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Which Auburn RB recently has had a successful NFL career?

I'll give you Eddie Lacy and Trent Richardson, but Bama has Mark Ingram, Derrick Henry, Kenyan Drake and TJ Yeldon all getting significant playing time currently in the NFL.

Oklahoma has DeMarco Murray, Adrian Peterson, Perine and Mixon should be starting for Cincy this year.

Ohio State - Ezekiel Elliot

If you go back as far as Peterson, we can too.  On top of what I mentioned above you can add Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs.

33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

In that time period we have put in Ben Tate, Tre Mason, CAP, Peyton Barber, Corey Grant, and maybe one other that I am forgetting.  In this years draft we have two RB's that could be drafted.  I still put us ahead of Alabama and Georgia.  

If you go back as far as Peterson, we can too.  On top of what I mentioned above you can add Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Brandon Jacobs.

I forgot CAP, but we can't claim Jacobs.

And in terms of all guys currently in the NFL, we may or may not have numbers on uga but after this draft we will not, we won't have a Gurley, we almost certainly won't have a Chubb and there's a good chance we won't have a Michel. As for bama, it's not even close. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

As for bama, it's not even close. 

For Alabama, all they have is Henry and maybe Drake.  All of their other RB's are not starters.  Ingram, and Yeldon are not starters.  Corey Grant is an entirely different skill set than Yeldon so it is hard to compare both.  Ingram has had one good season as of late.  If you look at previous seasons, he has not done as well.  Drake is doing pretty decent so the jury is out on him.  This year we will know.  And if you look over the course of the last 10 years, we have given more RB's chances in the NFL than either team, even excluding the early 2000's which is where Brown, Williams, and even Irons come into mind.

Our streak of 1,000 yard rushers is not to be discounted either, even if our system is built for it.  If you do, then Georgia would be entirely discounted.

43 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

@McLoofus you can’t credit Eddie Lacy’s two non-fat seasons in one breathe and discount Cadillac’s career in the next. Cadillac matched Lacy’s best single season, and he kept getting checks after coming back from a surgery that no RB had ever returned from in NFL history. And he had that surgery twice, each knee. Notably, they have the same number of 1000 yard total yardage seasons (2) and another with just under it. Plus, again, Lacy can’t get a job seven years out. Any RB that wins ROY and remains a contributing RB for seven years had a meaningful career. 

I don’t disagree that AU backs have not had great careers, but that was straight disrespect you threw at Cadillac. 

It has been a long time since you swooped in to nitpick one of my posts. I was getting lonely.

The dude said that bama RBs are all busts. Lacy was not a bust. And no, Caddy did not have a career that people are going to remember. He had a career that Auburn fans and Tampa Bay fans are going to remember. Yes, he came back from injury. Yes, he is a hero, a class guy and one of the gutsiest dudes to ever wear O&B. But he did not have a meaningful NFL career. Here are his yardage totals:

Not sure where you came up with that 2nd 1,000 yard season. I guess you're counting APY? Okay. Cool.

Amazing rookie season. That 823 in year 5 is awesome. Otherwise, there's not a lot there that's going to impress the average NFL fan. He was never an all pro. He never made it to the playoffs. Those are just numbers. They're not disrespect. 

I've tried to rack my brain for our "claimable" and best RBs since the Post-Bowden era (even though I know RBU goes back further than this, but in today's world no high school recruit cares about the 80s, and it's even debatable if they know who guys like Cadillac and Ronnie Brown even are)

In that run off the top of my head we have had:

Ronnie Brown

Cadillac Williams

Kenny Irons

Brad Lester

Ben Tate

Mario Fannin

Michael Dyer

Onterio McCalebb

Tre Mason

CAP*

Corey Grant*

Peyton Barber*

Kam Pettway*

Kerryon Johnson*

This is a strong list of very good college running backs. However the NFL success rate of these guys is pretty low. Caddy and Ronnie were the most productive and if you venture away from an AU message board some will tell you Ronnie didn't live up to a #2 pick (they will say only 5k yards career rushing for a #2 pick is coming up short) while Caddy and Irons' careers were ruined by injury. The 5 guys with asterisks by their name are still writing (or just starting) their legacies so we will see and I was generous with putting a * by CAP. So we have had a bunch of really good college RBs come through our program. There's nothing wrong with being an awesome college RB and just not being an NFL player. But it's hurting our claim of RBU IMO.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

This is a strong list of very good college running backs. However the NFL success rate of these guys is pretty low. Caddy and Ronnie were the most productive and if you venture away from an AU message board some will tell you Ronnie didn't live up to a #2 pick (they will say only 5k yards career rushing for a #2 pick is coming up short) while Caddy and Irons' careers were ruined by injury. The 5 guys with asterisks by their name are still writing (or just starting) their legacies so we will see and I was generous with putting a * by CAP. So we have had a bunch of really good college RBs come through our program. There's nothing wrong with being an awesome college RB and just not being an NFL player. But it's hurting our claim of RBU IMO.

The only thing I would add is that Ben Tate had a pretty good and reliable career so I would put him up there with Ronnie and Caddy.  If Tre Mason truly has his act together and a team gambles on him he could potentially be there as well.

31 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For Alabama, all they have is Henry and maybe Drake.  All of their other RB's are not starters.  Ingram, and Yeldon are not starters.  Corey Grant is an entirely different skill set than Yeldon so it is hard to compare both.  Ingram has had one good season as of late.  If you look at previous seasons, he has not done as well.  Drake is doing pretty decent so the jury is out on him.  This year we will know.  And if you look over the course of the last 10 years, we have given more RB's chances in the NFL than either team, even excluding the early 2000's which is where Brown, Williams, and even Irons come into mind.

We've had 6 running backs and 1 fullback go. That includes 3 guys who weren't drafted. 3 guys on that list actually started at RB in the NFL, if I'm not mistaken. (Barber actually started a game at some point after all their other guys went down, right?) One of those 3 got almost to 1,000 yards through 2 seasons before flaming out of the league. Another has 646 through 2 seasons. The star of the show in ten years of Auburn running backs in the NFL, Ben Tate, made it 5 seasons for a total of 2,363 yards. He peaked in his first year with 942 yards.

bama has had 7 running backs and 1 fullback get drafted in that same time. I'm not sure how many of their guys signed on as free agents. Richardson, that all-time bama bust that he was, had 2,032 yards. Lacy has 3,614. Yeldon has 1,458. Henry has 1,234. Drake has 644. (That's almost 1,900 yards from bama's most recent RB draft.) And, of course, the star of their show, Ingram, has 5,362 yards (and a Heisman). Without looking, I will confidently guess that he alone has more yards rushing than all Auburn RBs drafted in the last 10 years combined. 

As for uga, Gurley's already at 3,296. He's got about the same as Tate, Mason and Barber combined. 

Edit: TL;DR- Of guys who went pro in the last 10 years, bama has had 5 guys with over 1,000 career NFL rushing yards to Auburn's 1. UGA has had 2 with over 3,000 and Auburn has had none.  

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The only thing I would add is that Ben Tate had a pretty good and reliable career so I would put him up there with Ronnie and Caddy.  If Tre Mason truly has his act together and a team gambles on him he could potentially be there as well.

While I agree with you the problem in our claim to be RBU is that we are putting Ben Tate with his 2k total NFL rushing yards in the same class as arguably our 2 best RBs in the modern era. This does not bode well for our argument IMO

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Tate never played a full season. His games played went 15, 11, 14, 8, 3. He's on record as saying that he wishes he'd played safety instead. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We've had 6 running backs and 1 fullback go. That includes 3 guys who weren't drafted. 3 guys on that list actually started at RB in the NFL, if I'm not mistaken. (Barber actually started a game at some point after all their other guys went down, right?) One of those 3 got almost to 1,000 yards through 2 seasons before flaming out of the league. Another has 646 through 2 seasons. The star of the show in ten years of Auburn running backs in the NFL, Ben Tate, made it 5 seasons for a total of 2,363 yards. He peaked in his first year with 942 yards.

bama has had 7 running backs and 1 fullback get drafted in that same time. I'm not sure how many of their guys signed on as free agents. Richardson, that all-time bama bust that he was, had 2,032 yards. Lacy has 3,614. Yeldon has 1,458. Henry has 1,234. Drake has 644. (That's almost 1,900 yards from bama's most recent RB draft.) And, of course, the star of their show, Ingram, has 5,362 yards (and a Heisman). Without looking, I will confidently guess that he alone has more yards rushing than all Auburn RBs drafted in the last 10 years combined. 

As for uga, Gurley's already at 3,296. He's got about the same as Tate, Mason and Barber combined. 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

While I agree with you the problem in our claim to be RBU is that we are putting Ben Tate with his 2k total NFL rushing yards in the same class as arguably our 2 best RBs in the modern era. This does not bode well for our argument IMO

Maybe I am biased, but with our record of putting RB's consistently in the spotlight with their 1,000 yard seasons and an opportunity to go into the draft still would trump the other opposing teams.  Maybe our yards aren't as flashy in the NFL, but we are able to do it on a more consistent basis than the other teams mentioned, which is something to note.  Every year almost we have an NFL ready RB, where everyone else it might be every other year.  What they do in the NFL is out of our hands at that point.

On a lighter note, I feel like this thread we are trading Pokemon cards or taking part in the Racial Draft from The Chapelle Show.  "I will give you this running back, but I will take this one instead."

tiger-woods-draft.gif

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Maybe I am biased, but with our record of putting RB's consistently in the spotlight with their 1,000 yard seasons and an opportunity to go into the draft still would trump the other opposing teams.  Maybe our yards aren't as flashy in the NFL, but we are able to do it on a more consistent basis than the other teams mentioned, which is something to note.  Every year almost we have an NFL ready RB, where everyone else it might be every other year.  What they do in the NFL is out of our hands at that point.

On a lighter note, I feel like this thread we are trading Pokemon cards or taking part in the Racial Draft from The Chapelle Show.  "I will give you this running back, but I will take this one instead."

tiger-woods-draft.gif

Right, there is a ton of value in getting the guys to the NFL. But I'd feel more confident about being RBU if our guys kept balling out at the next level. Just my personal opinion.

Also, the AU football delegation would like to trade Michael Dyer for Brandon Jacobs

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Respectfully, the facts just don't back that up. Not only has bama had twice as many RBs get drafted in the last 10 years as us, but they've all gone in the 1st 3 rounds. That includes the 2016 draft, when Henry went in the 2nd and Drake went in the 3rd. We've got a 2nd, 3rd and 5th rounder in that time. (uga, despite only having 4 guys drafted in that time, has 2 1st rounders and one of them was the Offensive POTY this past season. Two 1,000 yard seasons in his first 3 years compared to none from Auburn RBs since 2006.)

tiger-woods-draft.gif

*love*

We are claiming to be RBUniversity not RBNFL! I think we have consistently had success with our running backs, year after year, no matter the system run!

Archived