AU RBs in NFL - Contract News

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, toddc said:

We are claiming to be RBUniversity not RBNFL! I think we have consistently had success with our running backs, year after year, no matter the system run!

I'll give you RG(ame)U? Does that work?

(That's a pro-Gus and pro-Auburn post, btw.)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, toddc said:

We are claiming to be RBUniversity not RBNFL! I think we have consistently had success with our running backs, year after year, no matter the system run!

You do have a really good point.  I think you made @McLoofus and I's conversation pointless.  :rollin:

My perspective was always that RBU was the university that had the most RB talent consistently at the university. It's an added bonus to throw in how many make it to the NFL and more so for those that succeed.

For Auburn, we've had a ton of talent but extremely bad luck when our guys turn pro. Injuries, RB by committee, and other issues have derailed so many careers that could've been really good. It's definitely hard to compare with Bama and Georgia with their recent stars succeeding in the league.

Still, we'll continue to keep our streak of 1,000 yard rushers going for years to come. ;)

27 minutes ago, toddc said:

On top of that, we've done more with less (more success with lower rated players, just in case anyone wanted to misread that and think I was dogging our backs) at running back than any other team out there.  As Loof pointed out, a lot of that has to do with Gus's system and I like to think a fair amount of it has to do with Horton. 

What I wonder most about is why our backs always seem so fragile and others' don't. It does make you wonder about ALL aspects of various schools training programs. 

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

On top of that, we've done more with less (more success with lower rated players, just in case anyone wanted to misread that and think I was dogging our backs) at running back than any other team out there.  As Loof pointed out, a lot of that has to do with Gus's system and I like to think a fair amount of it has to do with Horton. 

What I wonder most about is why our backs always seem so fragile and others' don't. It does make you wonder about ALL aspects of various schools training programs. 

When it comes to fragility I think a lot of running backs get beat up like ours-see Gurley and Fournette for examples! This is a tough league we’re in (SEC ) and it happens to the best of them. I’m hoping our new-found passing game helps with that having JS and Bo Nix!

I am so happy for Corey . He was undervalued imo during his time at Auburn. He signs as an undrafted free agent , makes the squad, had a base salary of just a little over 600k and now with this tender he will potentially be making 2 mil. I know the Jag fans I know love him and thinks he has a lot more value than Yeldon

16 minutes ago, toddc said:

When it comes to fragility I think a lot of running backs get beat up like ours-see Gurley and Fournette for examples! This is a tough league we’re in (SEC ) and it happens to the best of them. I’m hoping our new-found passing game helps with that having JS and Bo Nix!

Yea... I was speaking more of one specific team with a know proclivity for deer antler spray, but at the same time, look back at the discussion of how many of our guys have their NFL careers cut short vs everyone else.

6 hours ago, abw0004 said:

All colleges like to say it, but Auburn really is RBU.  With our success over the past 10 years of 1,000 yard rushers and the ability to get guys in the NFL, no one can really argue with that.  Not to mention, we have had a history of developing 3* guys into top tier players.

Only over the past 10 years?

With Auburn's history NOBODY can dispute AU is Running Back U :jossun:

How about this...

Auburn is "We-Do-More-With-Less-Talent-RB-University"  ..."But-Not-Necessarily-In-The-NFL-Where-Our-Backs-Flake-Out-Or-Get-Injured-Sometimes-But-We-Used-To-Be-Really-Really-Good"

That's going to be a long acronym, but it sums up the feelings around here very succinctly.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I am so happy for Corey . He was undervalued imo during his time at Auburn. He signs as an undrafted free agent , makes the squad, had a base salary of just a little over 600k and now with this tender he will potentially be making 2 mil. I know the Jag fans I know love him and thinks he has a lot more value than Yeldon

Fantastic kick returner and a home run waiting to happen. Gotta love it.

lol no we are not anywhere close to RB U. I do not even know how or where that got started. Besides Bo Jackson none of our guys have been a household name to the casual fan base. No one remembers the Rbs we have had in the NFL with the most success. Sadly no one knows who Tucker Frederickson,  Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Brent Fullwood or William Andrews is even though they have a combined 13 pro bowls between them. They just are not household names to the casual fan and more importantly RECRUITS.  Ok so Even if you want to keep it to just college success we have had only 1 rb win the heisman or get any major award when it comes to just the college game. We have not had 1 of our Rbs win the doak walker award. We have not had any of our Rbs win the maxwell award. What we have had is recently a great system for any type of rb no matter the skill set or talent to put up big numbers to get to 1k yards. Cap, Corey Grant and Barber are all guys just brought in to fill out a roster. They are flat out not good enough to be a starter. It would be the same for Tre Mason if he were still in the NFL. He is just there for depth purposes. We have only had 2 RBs be All Americans (cadillac and tre mason by the sporting news) since 86 when Brent Fullwood was one. Ronnie Brown was the last RB to be a pro bowler for us in 08 and before that it was Stephen Davis who was a 3 time pro bowler but more significantly a first team all pro in 99. Something no other Auburn RB not even Bo Jackson has achieved in the NFL. The kids barely remember Stephen Davis. Even caddy and ronnie brown legacy is waning. Why is that? LACK OF NFL SUCCESS. NFL Success is where legacies never die because the past greats are talked about weekly on telecasts and we just do not have that.

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

I've tried to rack my brain for our "claimable" and best RBs since the Post-Bowden era (even though I know RBU goes back further than this, but in today's world no high school recruit cares about the 80s, and it's even debatable if they know who guys like Cadillac and Ronnie Brown even are)

In that run off the top of my head we have had:

Ronnie Brown

Cadillac Williams

Kenny Irons

Brad Lester

Ben Tate

Mario Fannin

Michael Dyer

Onterio McCalebb

Tre Mason

CAP*

Corey Grant*

Peyton Barber*

Kam Pettway*

Kerryon Johnson*

If it’s post Bowden, you can throw in Rudi Johnson and Heath Evans. Either way, it is an impressive list. 

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no we are not anywhere close to RB U. I do not even know how or where that got started. Besides Bo Jackson none of our guys have been a household name to the casual fan base. No one remembers the Rbs we have had in the NFL with the most success. Sadly no one knows who Tucker Frederickson,  Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Brent Fullwood or William Andrews is even though they have a combined 13 pro bowls between them. They just are not household names to the casual fan and more importantly RECRUITS.  Ok so Even if you want to keep it to just college success we have had only 1 rb win the heisman or get any major award when it comes to just the college game. We have not had 1 of our Rbs win the doak walker award. We have not had any of our Rbs win the maxwell award. What we have had is recently a great system for any type of rb no matter the skill set or talent to put up big numbers get to 1k yards. Cap, Corey Grant and Barber are all guys just brought in to fill out a roster. They are flat out not good enough to be a starter. It would be the same for Tre Mason if he were still in the NFL. He is just there for depth purposes. We have only had 2 RBs be All Americans (cadillac and tre mason by the sporting news) since 86 when Brent Fullwood was one. Ronnie Brown was the last RB to be a pro bowler for us in 08 and before that it was Stephen Davis who was a 3 time pro bowler but more significantly a first team all pro in 99. Something no other Auburn RB not even Bo Jackson has achieved in the NFL. The kids barely remember Stephen Davis. Even caddy and ronnie brown legacy is waning. Why is that? LACK OF NFL SUCCESS. NFL Success is where legacies never die because the past greats are talked about weekly on telecasts and we just do not have that.

Don't you realize that the media conspiracy against Auburn started before Tucker Fredrickson? Mystery solved. ;). I was at Auburn when Cribbs, Andrews and Brooks were there. We were a good head coach away from winning it all. 

16 hours ago, AUDevil said:

How about this...

Auburn is "We-Do-More-With-Less-Talent-RB-University"  ..."But-Not-Necessarily-In-The-NFL-Where-Our-Backs-Flake-Out-Or-Get-Injured-Sometimes-But-We-Used-To-Be-Really-Really-Good"

That's going to be a long acronym, but it sums up the feelings around here very succinctly.

For some reason I read that in Derrik Zoolander's voice

As far as recruiting pitches... I think Auburn has a better angle than a lot of other universities. Taking lower tiered backs and getting them their shot at the NFL would appeal more to me than another university who has had 5, 5* top 50 recruits make it to the NFL. As one pitch shows it can put anyone from a myriad of skill sets into the NFL at the position, where a university like bamas get the kids that are already supposed to be NFL bound one day.

That works both ways though, as in Cam doesn't help us be "QBU" as he had talent oozing out of him and was NFL bound no matter what, I don't see how Auburn really uses Cam as a pitch to young QB recruits.... except to show that they'll let an extremely talented QB do whatever he's best at and won't pigeon hole him.

42 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

As far as recruiting pitches... I think Auburn has a better angle than a lot of other universities. Taking lower tiered backs and getting them their shot at the NFL would appeal more to me than another university who has had 5, 5* top 50 recruits make it to the NFL. As one pitch shows it can put anyone from a myriad of skill sets into the NFL at the position, where a university like bamas get the kids that are already supposed to be NFL bound one day.

That works both ways though, as in Cam doesn't help us be "QBU" as he had talent oozing out of him and was NFL bound no matter what, I don't see how Auburn really uses Cam as a pitch to young QB recruits.... except to show that they'll let an extremely talented QB do whatever he's best at and won't pigeon hole him.

I would be okay with it if we appealed to 5 star recruits.

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol no we are not anywhere close to RB U. I do not even know how or where that got started. Besides Bo Jackson none of our guys have been a household name to the casual fan base. No one remembers the Rbs we have had in the NFL with the most success. Sadly no one knows who Tucker Frederickson,  Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, Brent Fullwood or William Andrews is even though they have a combined 13 pro bowls between them. They just are not household names to the casual fan and more importantly RECRUITS.  Ok so Even if you want to keep it to just college success we have had only 1 rb win the heisman or get any major award when it comes to just the college game. We have not had 1 of our Rbs win the doak walker award. We have not had any of our Rbs win the maxwell award. What we have had is recently a great system for any type of rb no matter the skill set or talent to put up big numbers to get to 1k yards. Cap, Corey Grant and Barber are all guys just brought in to fill out a roster. They are flat out not good enough to be a starter. It would be the same for Tre Mason if he were still in the NFL. He is just there for depth purposes. We have only had 2 RBs be All Americans (cadillac and tre mason by the sporting news) since 86 when Brent Fullwood was one. Ronnie Brown was the last RB to be a pro bowler for us in 08 and before that it was Stephen Davis who was a 3 time pro bowler but more significantly a first team all pro in 99. Something no other Auburn RB not even Bo Jackson has achieved in the NFL. The kids barely remember Stephen Davis. Even caddy and ronnie brown legacy is waning. Why is that? LACK OF NFL SUCCESS. NFL Success is where legacies never die because the past greats are talked about weekly on telecasts and we just do not have that.

This. We had a more reasonable RBU claim until probably after Ben Tate. Since then, other football factories have easily out paced Auburn in consistent RB production on the college field and in the pros. We are about as close to being Offensive Tackle U as we are RBU right now. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would be okay with it if we appealed to 5 star recruits.

lol, Me too.

I just don't think success of past top recruits weigh as heavily on them, as it would be non top-tier recruits. If everyone in the country wants you, if everyone is constantly telling you that you're NFL bound, and more than that if you truly believe you are an NFL talent.... Then you're gonna be looking for more than "what other RBs went here in the past?"

15 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

lol, Me too.

I just don't think success of past top recruits weigh as heavily on them, as it would be non top-tier recruits. If everyone in the country wants you, if everyone is constantly telling you that you're NFL bound, and more than that if you truly believe you are an NFL talent.... Then you're gonna be looking for more than "what other RBs went here in the past?"

That's a fair point. It's not the only factor. But it is a factor.

If we start getting guys drafted in the top 3 rounds again, and if we can claim another Ronnie Brown or Stephen Davis, our coaches will definitely be selling those things on the recruiting trail. 

13 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

If it’s post Bowden, you can throw in Rudi Johnson and Heath Evans. Either way, it is an impressive list. 

Thanks. I don't know how I forgot those guys :slapfh:

13 minutes ago, bigsixfive said:

LSU has to be in the conversation. They consistently pump RBs into the NFL... and pretty much every other position except QB. 

Man. 8 guys drafted in the last 10 years. That's more than bama. And a few of those guys have had serious careers, with Fournette obviously being one of the best guys in the league. 

So yeah, we're actually behind all 3 of our main rivals in the RBU department. 

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Man. 8 guys drafted in the last 10 years. That's more than bama. And a few of those guys have had serious careers, with Fournette obviously being one of the best guys in the league. 

So yeah, we're actually behind all 3 of our main rivals in the RBU department. 

LSU even gets bonus points because along with landing the big recruits, they, like us, train the lesser recruits up. Hester, Hill, Ridley... none were huge names and all but Hill were 3 stars out of high school

And Derrius Guice was a beast in his own right. Not too upset about seeing him gone that's for sure.

On a related note, if juice is spelled with a J and pronounced "juice" why exactly is Derrius Guice's name not pronounced like Derrius GOOSE?

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

And Derrius Guice was a beast in his own right. Not too upset about seeing him gone that's for sure.

On a related note, if juice is spelled with a J and pronounced "juice" why exactly is Derrius Guice's name not pronounced like Derrius GOOSE?

I thought it through, and though it may be rough, I must let you find your own way to that bough of the language tree. 

Archived