Tucker Brown moves to Center

lionheartkc

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Along those lines, the other advantage with Stidham in the Cannon formation is we can use the RBs still in a shotgun or pistol formation, so when the D-line is past them, Stidham can use the RBs as extra receivers and throw them the ball - prevents any fumbles on the handoff exchange as well as everything could be a forward pass and heck even behind the line means we could have lineman downfield legally - Tiger, I think you are on to something here.....

Just put Sippos back there and let him run some "Rugby" plays where they lateral it like 7 times.  On forth down he could punt or fake punt...  

1 hour ago, GBAU83 said:

Along those lines, the other advantage with Stidham in the Cannon formation is we can use the RBs still in a shotgun or pistol formation, so when the D-line is past them, Stidham can use the RBs as extra receivers and throw them the ball - prevents any fumbles on the handoff exchange as well as everything could be a forward pass and heck even behind the line means we could have lineman downfield legally - Tiger, I think you are on to something here.....

I think we are about to be Co-OC's. If there's team out there that can go for 2 every time, go for it on 4th every time, and kick onsides kicks after each score then the Cannon Offense has a bright future!

If I remember correctly a tight end under Pat Dye turned out to be a really good interior lineman. Made all-pro. I believe his name was Chris Gray. Can anybody can verify?

It's curious, but it could free up one of the other centers to play another OL position.

Goodness knows Casey Dunn was a useful addition.

It may also mean our real TEs will be playing TE next year.

3 hours ago, creed said:

If I remember correctly a tight end under Pat Dye turned out to be a really good interior lineman. Made all-pro. I believe his name was Chris Gray. Can anybody can verify?

Yep. Gray turned out to be a stud. 

9 hours ago, meh130 said:

It's curious, but it could free up one of the other centers to play another OL position.

I don't think he took any traditional TE reps from anyone, and was only in on meaningful snaps as a jumbo package TE. Could be wrong though.

Good point about freeing up other centers. Sounds like Kim and Brahms are locked in at center but this probably lets Horton continue to focus on guard a little more- where we really need him to be able to stay, IMO- and might even allow Irvin to get some guard reps when he gets here, although we are now (thankfully) focusing more on guys specializing at one position. 

I think we are in good shape with the center position and would not read too much at all into this. If Brown can play the position, then let him play it. Needs to put on weight if I am not mistaken. I think our OL is going to be better than most may think. Grimes will get the most out of them and will coach them up as best as can be.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:12 AM, LKEEL75 said:

That is scary news.  If we can't find a mean streak in one of our highly rated C then why the heck did we recruit them?  I want the meanest SOB on the field at C.  I don't care if he is the biggest or not.  Just mean and can consistently snap the ball.  And by consistent I mean 99.99999% of the time hitting the QB in the chest.

Not defending coaches here but I’d say it’s reasonable to say it can be tough finding a “mean streak” in kids when you have to start recruiting them at 16 years old or younger. Certainly happens, but i can see how it’s a crap shoot. Kim for example was a very highly rated and thought of recruit. I remember thinking at the time that he would definitely be a starter within 2 years. Hard to predict the changes, especially mentally, from age 16 to say 20. 

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Hard to predict the changes, especially mentally, from age 16 to say 20.

And from one year to the next. Really hope having Grimes back can get Kim back on track. Like you said he was a highly rated center.

On 3/14/2018 at 9:46 PM, meh130 said:

On 3/18/2018 at 8:48 PM, doc4aday said:

I think we are in good shape with the center position and would not read too much at all into this. If Brown can play the position, then let him play it. Needs to put on weight if I am not mistaken. I think our OL is going to be better than most may think. Grimes will get the most out of them and will coach them up as best as can be.

Brown (6’3 288) weighs more than Brahms (6’3 276) while Kim is only at 6’3 293.

Casey Dunn was 6’3 292

When it was announced Dunn was coming here, a lot of people on this board immediately stated he will be a nice back up, he was to small at 6’3 and did not weigh enough at 292 and was coming from DII. 

Pugh was 6’4 297 and Dismukees was 6’3 295

** All heights and weights according to AU Bio’s

All of our centers recently have been about the same size. 

Lets go off talent 

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Brown (6’3 288) weighs more than Brahms (6’3 276) while Kim is only at 6’3 293.

Casey Dunn was 6’3 292

When it was announced Dunn was coming here, a lot of people on this board immediately stated he will be a nice back up, he was to small at 6’3 and did not weigh enough at 292 and was coming from DII. 

Pugh was 6’4 297 and Dismukees was 6’3 295

** All heights and weights according to AU Bio’s

All of our centers recently have been about the same size. 

Lets go off talent 

Hey, I agree with you on this. I did not realize that Brown was at the weight he was. I was thinking he was around 260 lbs. I agree with talent over weight 110%.  I trust Coach Grimes to get the most out of all of his linemen. Hand did a decent job, but I think Grimes is an all around better coach for us who understands what Gus wants to get done with his offense.

Archived