difference between Grimes and Hand

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Understood, I enjoy stat's post as well.

Haha maybe!  I'm an analyst as well for that big beverage company based in Atlanta.

Sweetwater?!?! Awesome. J/k. My bro-in-law works at CC. I went and had lunch with him there one day. Freaking awesome building. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

But the conversation is difficult, because Herb raised JB's boys for a couple years and JB will raise Herb's (more or less). Also, did Hand get a bump with Ashley from GRob, who... Jeff Grimes? Who recruited that guy?... recruited and JB coached?

Too many moving parts. My main point was that the talent is close enough to equivalent that we probably need not fear a meaningful drop-off in OL recruiting under Grimes, and that it is reasonable to expect better overall OL play than we would have gotten. I'm not saying people *should* expect it, although I do.

Now, when it comes to recruiting other position groups, I'm guessing that Grimes will be very little help whereas Hand might have been more useful. I really have no idea. I think I read somewhere that some of the other coaches would've appreciated more of an assist from the replacement. 

Agreed. I'm taking it from the perspective of who was better at judging talent by what they saw and not what the stars say, but you are right, coaching is a strong variable that throws a wrench into any real assessment of these particular players.

53 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Haha maybe!  I'm an analyst as well for that big beverage company based in Atlanta.

Did not know you worked there.  Two of the top exec's are clients of mine.  I actually just saw them last week.

50 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Freaking awesome building. 

Fun fact:  That building is constructed only using stainless steel for the supports.  The extra expense was paid to ensure the build lasted almost forever.  Extremely rare that a skyscraper is built like that due to the cost.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Not going to say this if more intelligent than what you presented, but the big question to me is, of the members of those classes, who ended up living up to or surpassing their star ranking and who ended up just being a name on the recruiting roster.

2014:
X - I'd say he played at about a 3-star level for us
Braden - well surpassed his 4-stars

2015:
Kim - TBD
Harrell - lived up to his 4-stars
Carr - TBD
Sharp - TBD
Horton - Surpassed his 3-stars

2016: 
Hamm - TBD

2017: 
Ashley - TBD
Brahms - TBD
Troxell - TBD

Based on that, this year will be the tale of the tape. Ashley, Hamm, Brahms, and Kim all have had buzz around them this Spring. If the majority of Hand's guys live up to their billing, I'd have to give the edge to him, but if they flame out, Grimes brought in 2 guys who were better than advertised and two who lived up to their billing. Here's hoping Hand wins, because we need his guys to be good.

What say Grimes coaches up Hands recruits and we get the best of both worlds for the next 2-3 years. Then when o-line recruits see what Grimes does with 4* & 5* talent they are come here instead of:

GA had a haul of 4 & 5* talent this year, they could get another year of studs this year but beyond that I don’t see it happening for playing time.

Turds always get a few, because of the Championships and putting guys in the NFL.

UT is a wait and see, but Pruit could offer early playing time. Interesting to see how this plays out. He did get 1-2 this year.

UF I think will get a recruit or two just because it is UF and the rest will come if they show on the field. 

LSU will be interesting to see what the do offensively this year, they seem to be in limbo right now.

There should be no reason not to get 3-4 this year. Even if Grimes needs help recruiting.

2 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Understood, I enjoy stat's post as well.

You mean Eagle Rock Distributing?  :beer2:

;)

At the end of the day, give me Grimes and I will give you an OL that is mean and nasty and ready to make their coach proud each time they take the field whether it be practice or the game day battle in the trenches. I am anxious to see how we compare this spring game to last year's spring game. I think it will be good.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Not going to say this if more intelligent than what you presented, but the big question to me is, of the members of those classes, who ended up living up to or surpassing their star ranking and who ended up just being a name on the recruiting roster.

2014:

2015:
Kim - TBD
Carr - TBD
Sharp - TBD

2016: 
Hamm - TBD

2017: 
Ashley - TBD
Brahms - TBD
Troxell - TBD

Based on that, this year will be the tale of the tape. Ashley, Hamm, Brahms, and Kim all have had buzz around them this Spring. If the majority of Hand's guys live up to their billing, I'd have to give the edge to him, but if they flame out, Grimes brought in 2 guys who were better than advertised and two who lived up to their billing. Here's hoping Hand wins, because we need his guys to be good.

i believe Darious James transferred in 2015 year  and eligible to play 2016   I have him down as a 4* but i can honestly say he didnt meet expectations. maybe others disagree.  

4 hours ago, auskip07 said:

i believe Darious James transferred in 2015 year  and eligible to play 2016   I have him down as a 4* but i can honestly say he didnt meet expectations. maybe others disagree.  

He didn't meet my expectations. To me, he was the weak link in last year's line. 

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:18 PM, lionheartkc said:

2014:

2015:
Kim - TBD
Carr - TBD
Sharp - TBD

2016: 
Hamm - TBD

2017: 
Ashley - TBD
Brahms - TBD
Troxell - TBD

If those guys improve because of vastly improved coaching then the edge would be a canyon in Grimes favor...

16 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

If those guys improve because of vastly improved coaching then the edge would be a canyon in Grimes favor...

Agreed. You will never find me arguing anything but Grimes being a vast improvement on the field.

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:51 AM, Win4AU said:

Based on Twitter it looks like Herb is racking up O line guys at Texas.  Where was that at Auburn?  Oline wasn’t a problem last time Grimes was here so hopefully he can get that solid again.  No more 12 sack games!  

I think Texas is drawing them, not Herb...kind of like covering yourself with poo-poo and taking credit for the flies showing up.

Texas must have seen something in him? I expected his recruiting to be better at Auburn. With Grimes I don’t expect we will see total collapses of the oline like with Hand. I don’t expect his recruiting to be that good either. I never understood why our oline took several games to play as a unit under Hand. Not saying Hand is a bad coach but at Auburn he seemed to be more hype than production.

To be honest, I expect offensive lines under Hand is going to be substantially better at Texas than what he had at here. He was an average offensive lineman coach competing against the very best defensive linemen anyone can find at the SEC. You'd be hard pressed to find any team in Big 12 that has defensive linemen as ferocious and brutal as in the SEC.

Along with Texas's national brand in football, I don't think Hand has to haul his way to get prospects in recruiting. 

Archived