Softball vs. uat game 1

10 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Mikey, I totally agree with your comment about pitching to Doyle.  I can't fathom why he did that.  And we'll just have to agree to disagree about the silk purse.  Myers got a team that had underachieved, but look at who was on it.  Carosone- Cooper - Rhodes - Estell - Melero.  I don't see that kind of consistent hitting power in the 25 girls we have now.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned; we lost three 2019 recruits when Myers resigned.  That doesn't affect this year's team, obviously, but something to remember.

That's part of my point. Carosone, Cooper and Rhodes, to name just three, were bench warmers and .200 hitters. Meyers built them into all SEC /all American players. I'm not seeing any player improving like that with this staff.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thing I found - only 12 players have at least 20 ABs this year (next highest are Tissier and Maresette with 7 ABs each), vs 15 in 2017 and 14 in 2016. Tissier and Fornis should both have played at lot more at this point imo. It's actually pretty surprising Fornis wasn't given more of a shot last year when we only really had 1 solid OF starter for the first part of the season. And Tissier could be next year's starting catcher, might want to get her some ABs and give Shea the occasional rest.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

That's part of my point. Carosone, Cooper and Rhodes, to name just three, were bench warmers and .200 hitters. Meyers built them into all SEC /all American players. I'm not seeing any player improving like that with this staff.

Carosone and Cooper started every game as freshmen and hit .389 and .418 respectively.

19 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Carosone and Cooper started every game as freshmen and hit .389 and .418 respectively.

OOPS! I thought they were in the group that Meyers resurrected.

9 hours ago, wildling said:

Interesting thing I found - only 12 players have at least 20 ABs this year (next highest are Tissier and Maresette with 7 ABs each), vs 15 in 2017 and 14 in 2016. Tissier and Fornis should both have played at lot more at this point imo. It's actually pretty surprising Fornis wasn't given more of a shot last year when we only really had 1 solid OF starter for the first part of the season. And Tissier could be next year's starting catcher, might want to get her some ABs and give Shea the occasional rest.

Sometimes a coach sees enough in practice and individual sessions to have a feel on ability and where they fit on the depth chart.  At that point, you want those with a higher ceiling to get the experience and development.

1 hour ago, 4WDE said:

Sometimes a coach sees enough in practice and individual sessions to have a feel on ability and where they fit on the depth chart.  At that point, you want those with a higher ceiling to get the experience and development.

So out of these last few good/great recruiting classes there are only 12 women with decent ceilings? I don't buy it, and it doesn't help that the two players CMD did choose to give an opportunity to have been been pretty bad.

6 hours ago, wildling said:

So out of these last few good/great recruiting classes there are only 12 women with decent ceilings? I don't buy it, and it doesn't help that the two players CMD did choose to give an opportunity to have been been pretty bad.

Yes, some have higher ceilings than others.  That’s normal. That tells me what he has seen, he felt like those gave him the best chance for success. If you had seen players in high school, summer, and practice, I would tend to agree with his evaluation. Buy what you want, just the way it works.

Archived