Sign in to follow this  
SCTiger2011

Can it get any worse?

Recommended Posts

Despite the thread title, it's meant as an optimistic question.  Last night, Auburn hit foul trouble within the first minute, played a freshman at point for over half the game, got next to nothing offensive production from Brown, Harper, and Okeke, shot 20% from 3 and something like 35% from the field...and won.  Looking at Clemson, it seems they play a more physical style than Charleston, so I guess there is more danger in the foul trouble extending from our guards down to our (only) two "big" men.  That's worrisome, but I can't think of any way possible the lid stays on the basket as much as it did last night.  As for a "critical player," with McLemore out, I think the road to this team's success goes through Okeke being more of a threat offensively, particularly on the perimeter.  If he can knock down a few outside and earn tighter defensive pressure beyond the arc, I think it'll open up some easy backdoor opportunities inside as well as get Mu/Bryce/Jared some confident looks.  I also really like having Okeke and Horace on the court at the same time.  

 

Edited by SCTiger2011
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




Could get worse - in classic Auburn target-on-our-back style, a scumbag Yahoo reporter is proclaiming Auburn only advanced because we "tricked" referees into having Harper take a free throw instead of Okeke near game's end. How? Okeke handed Harper the ball. Yahoo willy described it as an old "ploy". Why do our sports info or higher ups not call these clowns out more?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't care -  we won. 

 

We can't afford for Chuma to look like a freshman. Davion did a hell of a job at the wheel, considering the circumstances. If not for a late run we gave up Davion would've led us to a 5 pt lead or so at the half. Its not ideal but we are so short handed at this point we really need our freshman to play above their heads tomorrow. 

Anyone heard anything about Horace's back?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can't get any worse, but it will darn sure have to get a whole lot better or we're done tomorrow. Bryce and Jared both had key shots down the stretch... they will have to play a complete game against Clemson. Mu is rarely down two games in a row. Gonna be a good one tomorrow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Could get worse - in classic Auburn target-on-our-back style, a scumbag Yahoo reporter is proclaiming Auburn only advanced because we "tricked" referees into having Harper take a free throw instead of Okeke near game's end. How? Okeke handed Harper the ball. Yahoo willy described it as an old "ploy". Why do our sports info or higher ups not call these clowns out more?

Like it would have made a difference. Chuma shoots about 68% at the line. If he hits one of two it's the same result as what we got from Harper. No trickery involved, just refs not paying attention... imagine that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Could get worse - in classic Auburn target-on-our-back style, a scumbag Yahoo reporter is proclaiming Auburn only advanced because we "tricked" referees into having Harper take a free throw instead of Okeke near game's end. How? Okeke handed Harper the ball. Yahoo willy described it as an old "ploy". Why do our sports info or higher ups not call these clowns out more?

Our last AD didn’t have the Spine to “call these clowns out”

Time will tell if that trend continues in the future. 

There is only so much the coaches can do. You know the T-shirts Bruce Pearl had the team wearing early in the season? You know the four dollars the crowd threw at the players, Bruce Pearl reported that money to the NCAA?

We need our athletic department to step up, with similar actions, if this is ever going to stop. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Our last AD didn’t have the Spine to “call these clowns out”

Time will tell if that trend continues in the future. 

There is only so much the coaches can do. You know the T-shirts Bruce Pearl had the team wearing early in the season? You know the four dollars the crowd threw at the players, Bruce Pearl reported that money to the NCAA?

We need our athletic department to step up, with similar actions, if this is ever going to stop. 

There is nothing that can be done. Bitching about it would make it WAY worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

There is nothing that can be done. Bitching about it would make it WAY worse.

I don’t see it that way, especially right now. There is a lot of angst against “fake news” of all sorts. An AD has a responsibility to defend the University. Especially Inferences about cheating of any sort. Even more so when those inferences are inaccurate. Putting a reckless “journalist” in their place is a good thing. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Could get worse - in classic Auburn target-on-our-back style, a scumbag Yahoo reporter is proclaiming Auburn only advanced because we "tricked" referees into having Harper take a free throw instead of Okeke near game's end. How? Okeke handed Harper the ball. Yahoo willy described it as an old "ploy". Why do our sports info or higher ups not call these clowns out more?

What's to call out?  The report is accurate...and as for "proclaming"?  

"So where does blame lie here? First and foremost with the referees, but also with any court-side officials, and even with Charleston players, coaches, or any member of the team’s staff."

https://sports.yahoo.com/auburn-tricked-unknowing-refs-seal-ncaa-tournament-win-charleston-194015929.html

Edited by PowerOfDixieland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer to the title thread is a resounding yes based on game versus Clemson. This is going to be worse than beating TAm put on UNC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

What's to call out?  The report is accurate...and as for "proclaming"?  

"So where does blame lie here? First and foremost with the referees, but also with any court-side officials, and even with Charleston players, coaches, or any member of the team’s staff."

https://sports.yahoo.com/auburn-tricked-unknowing-refs-seal-ncaa-tournament-win-charleston-194015929.html

You mean other than the title "Auburn tricked unknowing refs..."?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I think we can safely say, the answer is: yes. 

Shame on you...I was going to come back here with an "Asked and Answered" retort...stealing my thunder, man...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Shame on you...I was going to come back here with an "Asked and Answered" retort...stealing my thunder, man...

Little video clip someone posted showed at least one, and maybe more,  AU players quit while the game was still in reach. 

That said...I don't think we've seen the worst yet....but tonight was pretty close....but I expect more...:(

Edited by AU64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this