Jeff Sessions hates him some Andrew McCabe

TitanTiger

Cold ass move.  Sessions fires McCabe and though it wasn't unexpected or undeserved, he chose to do so 48 hours before he could have retired with 21 years of service and been eligible for his full pension benefits.  Damn, son.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/sessions-fires-mccabe-he-can-retire-n856751

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Politics has no place in the FBI. Probably should have been done sooner, but I have no problem with it overall. Good move.

58 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

What a load of horse crap  Toobin. Nuff said.

“The FBI expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and accountability,” the attorney general said. He quoted from the internal report, “all FBI employees know that lacking candor under oath results in dismissal and that our integrity is our brand.”

27 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

What a load of horse crap  Toobin. Nuff said.

“The FBI expects every employee to adhere to the highest standards of honesty, integrity, and accountability,” the attorney general said. He quoted from the internal report, “all FBI employees know that lacking candor under oath results in dismissal and that our integrity is our brand.”

I haven’t read the IG report— can you shoot me a copy?

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I haven’t read the IG report— can you shoot me a copy?

Wait for it....................

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Cold ass move.  Sessions fires McCabe and though it wasn't unexpected or undeserved, he chose to do so 48 hours before he could have retired with 21 years of service and been eligible for his full pension benefits.  Damn, son.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/sessions-fires-mccabe-he-can-retire-n856751

The officials at OPR are not political appointees. The senior career official at the OPR(Office of Personal Responsibility) made the recommendation based off of the OIG(Office of Inspector General) report.  Both the OPR and OIG concluded McCabe misled them on multiple occasions. It's hard to feel sorry for him when the recommendation came from within the agency McCabe was part of.

McCabe's statements after being fired didn't do James Comey any favors. McCabe's statement about having the authority to share information with a reporter and that Comey had knowledge of him sharing the information is a contradiction to statements Comey made at a Congressional hearing in May 2017:

“I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor,” McCabe stated. “As deputy director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter.”

If the “interaction” means leaking the information, then McCabe’s statement would seem to directly contradict statements Comey made in a May 2017 congressional hearing. Asked if he had “ever been an anonymous source in news reports about matters relating to the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation” or whether he had “ever authorized someone else at the FBI to be an anonymous source in news reports about the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation,” Comey replied “never” and “no.”

Read all of the article at: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/378919-mccabe-just-made-life-tough-for-comey-and-the-special-counsel

Another point made from the article:

The McCabe controversy could also make life tougher for special counsel Robert Mueller. While McCabe lashed out at Trump in his statement, he may have just given Trump the long-sought cover to use his pardon power. If McCabe is not charged, Trump could cite that decision as the basis for pardoning Flynn, as a matter of equity and fairness.

If their finding is correct, I’m curious about whether the norm is to always fire or have they allowed people to retire. Is the issue about losing the confidence of the agency, and thus your job, or punishing someone who otherwise has had a strong career?

Funny that all the Trump and Session critics ignore some facts.

1. mc

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Total baloney. I guess the Trump/Sessions detractors want to ignore some basic facts.

1 McCabe violated the Hatch Act.

2. He leaked the false dossier and some sensitive/confidential info to the NYT

3. He lied under oath.

4. And last, but certainly not least, the FBI's own IG and Office of professional Responsibility recommended to Session that he be fired. It's sad to see a career guy go down like that but he brought it on himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/17/andrew-mccabes-firing-was-justified-and-right-thing-to-do.html

4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Politics has no place in the FBI. Probably should have been done sooner, but I have no problem with it overall. Good move.

Can you explain exactly what his offense was that justified this?

People who worked with him during his career have a high opinion of him.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/17/594610589/ex-fbi-agent-on-mccabe-firing-lack-of-candor-is-a-serious-offense

MARTIN: First of all, your reaction to President Trump's comments that this is a, quote, unquote, "great day" for the FBI?

GAGLIANO: Look. I think it's definitely unseemly and beneath the office of the president. I haven't been a fan of much of his tweeting in regards to the punching down that it appears that he's doing. Andy McCabe was a civil servant, and no matter what the president thinks about him or his service, definitely shouldn't have been tweeting out things like that. I think it's - disparaging remarks like that from the Oval Office certainly don't serve the public interest.

MARTIN: But you've been - or rather - I don't know if I want to say a skeptic of Mr. McCabe, but you have some questions for Mr. McCabe yourself. I mean, you wrote about this back in January when he announced that he was going to retire. So just - if you could, would you walk me through your concerns or your possible concerns about Mr. McCabe?

GAGLIANO: Sure. Well, first of all, in the interest of full disclosure for your listeners, I know Andy personally. In the early 2000s, I was a SWAT team leader for the New York office of the FBI, and Andy was a young SWAT operator at the time. And my interactions with Andy - he was a man of courage and integrity, and the two or three years that we worked together, I have nothing but good things to say about him.

Now, sometime in the mid-2000s, Andy transitioned down to FBI Headquarters. Sometimes, when you get inside of the Beltway, and you become subject to the machinations of FBI Headquarters, it changes your perspective on things. I think he is an honorable patriot, and I just think he made some mistakes. And I think that probably describes a fair amount of us in the FBI and across the country.

MARTIN: Well, one of the points that you made in your piece is that there are two separate issues here, which may or may not be related or conflated. One is that Mr. McCabe ran afoul of President Trump because of his close association with fired FBI Director James Comey. Also, Mr. McCabe's wife ran for office - state office - as a Democrat, which the president claims made him partial to Hillary Clinton. You know, on the other hand, there is this allegation by the Justice Department's inspector general. So are those two things related? I mean, should we even be talking about them in the same breath?

GAGLIANO: So the Department of Justice has an Office of the Inspector General, and that's headed by an inspector general, and this is a political appointee. And in this instance, it's Michael Horowitz, who was appointed in 2012 by President Barack Obama. Everything I'd heard about him was that he was ruthlessly efficient at his job and that he maintained that persona of not being bipartisan but being nonpartisan, meaning that his office followed the evidence. They investigated employees that might be guilty of wrongdoing without fear or favor.

And I think that's what he's done in this instance - in the instance of Mr. McCabe - and I think that the report, once it's released, is going to answer a lot of questions that we've all been speculating about but should bring some closure to what actually happened.

MARTIN: How does the timing sit with you? I mean, does it look vindictive to you?

GAGLIANO: It would if this was being launched from the White House. But I have the utmost trust and confidence in the IG's office. Now, whether you're on the job for two days, Michel, or whether you're two days away from retirement, it doesn't matter. Lack of candor is a serious offense. I don't believe that President Trump could have, should have, would have had any impact on the IG's report.

MARTIN: On the other hand, the president has been personally vilifying Mr. McCabe and vilifying the FBI as an organization for some time now. Do you have a sense of whether the rank and file is more disturbed by the attacks on Mr. McCabe as a person and on the agency writ large or by these allegations? Mr. Trump seems to believe that these specific allegations against Mr. McCabe are ones that would disturb the agents more greatly. So do you have a sense of that?

GAGLIANO: The FBI is not a monolith. There are people that vote Democratic. There's people that vote Republican. In the beginning, I criticized folks that made a big deal over the president's mean tweets and how it was impacting the FBI. And I said, ah, that's ridiculous. FBI agents are going to put their head down, and they're going to do their job.

And then, of recent, I've seen a number of polls come out, including one from Axios that recently stated that apparently 49 percent of the American public that were polled have a favorable opinion of the FBI. So that means less than 1 out of 2 Americans have trust and confidence in the job of the FBI. Now, that has a deleterious effect on the American public because we need the public to have their trust and confidence in the FBI so that while we're pursuing investigations, the public comes forward with information, the public trusts the process.

MARTIN: That's James Gagliano. He spent 25 years in the FBI. He's now a law enforcement analyst for CNN and The Hill among others, and he teaches at St. John's University. Mr. Gagliano, thanks so much for speaking with us.

GAGLIANO: Michel, thanks for having me. I enjoyed it.

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Didn't I read that the Inspector General and an internal Ethics committee recommended the firing some time ago......when he was put on leave.  Just wondering what took so long to get it done.  Should have been done when those internal and non-partisan committees recommended he be discharged.   Sounds like Sessions was under pressure not to fire him. 

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Nailed it:

Andrew McCabe FIRED, a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI - A great day for Democracy. Sanctimonious James Comey was his boss and made McCabe look like a choirboy. He knew all about the lies and corruption going on at the highest levels of the FBI!

Every sentence is a lie. Every sentence violates norms established by Presidents of both parties. Every sentence displays the pettiness and the vindictiveness of a man unsuited to the job he holds.

2 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Seriously? ?

Yep...Guy was fired for legitimate reasons and Sessions being criticized from every direction. You can bet he has been hearing it for a while.

17 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Funny that all the Trump and Session critics ignore some facts.

1. mc

Total baloney. I guess the Trump/Sessions detractors want to ignore some basic facts.

1 McCabe violated the Hatch Act.

2. He leaked the false dossier and some sensitive/confidential info to the NYT

3. He lied under oath.

4. And last, but certainly not least, the FBI's own IG and Office of professional Responsibility recommended to Session that he be fired. It's sad to see a career guy go down like that but he brought it on himself.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/17/andrew-mccabes-firing-was-justified-and-right-thing-to-do.html

Did I say he didn't deserve to be forced out?  My only thought about it was that in situations like this, it's not unusual, if not customary, to simply allow him to turn in his resignation less than 2 days later and let him have his pension.  Or wait two more days to fire him.  It's just pretty damn cold to do it less than 48 hours before he could retire.  Not something you see every day.

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Did I say he didn't deserve to be forced out?  My only thought about it was that in situations like this, it's not unusual, if not customary, to simply allow him to turn in his resignation less than 2 days later and let him have his pension.  Or wait two more days to fire him.  It's just pretty damn cold to do it less than 48 hours before he could retire.  Not something you see every day.

That’s a key point. You also have a President that publicly dictated the outcome he wanted. Did that influence the career guys? Did the career guys just think he should be out, but allowed to retire?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s a key point. You also have a President that publicly dictated the outcome he wanted. Did that influence the career guys? Did the career guys just think he should be out, but allowed to retire?

Seems from what I read they wanted him fired......otherwise, did he deserve to walk away with a 1.8 million dollar pension?   Not sure about the pension....but he might be lucky not be prosecuted for some of the stuff that has done.  The recommendations came from "career people".....civil service and not likely many of them cared one way or the other about what DT said. 

18 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems from what I read they wanted him fired......otherwise, did he deserve to walk away with a 1.8 million dollar pension?   Not sure about the pension....but he might be lucky not be prosecuted for some of the stuff that has done.  The recommendations came from "career people".....civil service and not likely many of them cared one way or the other about what DT said. 

What law was violated? What charges have been brought?

Archived