Softball vs. uat game 3

14 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Hmm. Never, seen that in any rule book.  What's the rule reference for that?  I'd love to read it. 

Actually, if you watch the umpires (It's difficult when watching on tv I know) but the home plate umpire throws his hands up immediately and calls time.  He doesn't wait for the results of the play to make the call.   If it's called on a big play its only an unfortuante coincidence.  Nothing more.

I'm guessing then you haven't seen the current NCAA softball rule book for 11.2.5?  Check it out.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/19/2018 at 2:29 PM, 4WDE said:

It is doable, but not done well (because of the difficulty level, especially in college) or consistent.  Yes, and the ump is supposed to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when the chalk lines are gone.  Until replay is used (which could be a while), it will still be missed and/or inconsistent.  

25 minutes ago, 4WDE said:

I'm guessing then you haven't seen the current NCAA softball rule book for 11.2.5?  Check it out.

Ok.  Going to try this again since apparently you didn't understand what I was asking for.  I'm well aware of the rule reference you gave. Not disputing that rule.  That's what this discussion is about after all.  :headscratch:     But, where is it in the rule book that the umpire is supposed to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when the chalk lines are gone?   That's what I was asking for the rule reference for. 

When someone  quotes a post and bolds a particular portion of that quote, its typical for their comment to reference that bold part.  Just an FYI. :)

5 hours ago, jared52 said:

I noticed the ump at the time as well, but also noticed that the batters box was practially gone on the inside so how he knew she was out, and how Draper was supposed to know where the line was is beyond me. If they are going to emphasize this, they need to put new chalk down every other inning to insure everyone knows where the line is.

I wish they had always been doing this but even more so with this rule change.  It would be better for all parties involved, whether its the batter, fielder, umpires or fans.   Seems it would be a pretty simple thing to implement as well.

34 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Ok.  Going to try this again since apparently you didn't understand what I was asking for.  I'm well aware of the rule reference you gave. Not disputing that rule.  That's what this discussion is about after all.  :headscratch:     But, where is it in the rule book that the umpire is supposed to give the batter the benefit of the doubt when the chalk lines are gone?   That's what I was asking for the rule reference for. 

When someone  quotes a post and bolds a particular portion of that quote, its typical for their comment to reference that bold part.  Just an FYI. :)

I apologize.  It is under rule 11.15.1.  I'm guessing you haven't seen or read it either.

11.15 Illegally Batted Ball

An illegally batted ball occurs when the batter contacts the pitch and: 11.15.1 Any part of her foot is touching the ground outside the lines of the batter’s box.  Note: In cases in which there are no batter’s box lines evident, good judgment must be used, and the benefit of any doubt must go to the batter.

And yes, I do know what bold is for, not my first rodeo :)

Read on another forum - Alexis Osorio has been cleared to return to the circle.  They also lost Grantham in that game. She is expected to come back in two weeks or so.

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Read on another forum - Alexis Osorio has been cleared to return to the circle.  They also lost Grantham in that game. She is expected to come back in two weeks or so.

Good to hear

Archived