Tony Barbee

TexasTiger

his tweet just reinforces the fact he is not to be taken serious as any kind of role model.......

One mustn’t criticize other people on grounds where he can’t stand perpendicular himself”
– Mark Twain. 

Didn't Barbee come to Auburn from  Texas-El Paso? Pearl's last coaching job before coming Auburn, he was at Tennessee.

I'm confused about why anyone on here should be offended or care what Barbee says about Auburn at this point. He did fail as our Head Coach and Auburn fans expressed their complaints and disapproval in forums and vocally. When he left the digs kept coming. Why would Auburn fans expect him to act differently than they do? If you want to criticize publicly then prepare to be criticized publicly. It's fairly simple. He's an adult just as most of his critics here are. He needs to act like it and so do we, but if fans are going to publicly criticize then coaches shouldn't be held to a higher standard. JMO and it probably won't be received well by some here. 

16 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I'm confused about why anyone on here should be offended or care what Barbee says about Auburn at this point. He did fail as our Head Coach and Auburn fans expressed their complaints and disapproval in forums and vocally. When he left the digs kept coming. Why would Auburn fans expect him to act differently than they do? If you want to criticize publicly then prepare to be criticized publicly. It's fairly simple. He's an adult just as most of his critics here are. He needs to act like it and so do we, but if fans are going to publicly criticize then coaches shouldn't be held to a higher standard. JMO and it probably won't be received well by some here. 

∆∆∆∆

this..

I don't think it's caring what he has to say but how big of an idiot does he look laughing at a team that he used to coach losing in the very tournament he failed to reach all while claiming it was impossible to win at AU

"boo hoo I can't recruit because no kids want to play for an Under Armour school" giphy.gif . 

That is why people are piling on him. He looks like a total ass in this situation. Which is exactly why he deleted the tweet. Not to mention we would've reached the NCAA tourney earlier with Pearl if Barbee didn't drive the program so far below ground that a guy who's never had a losing season in his life ate 2 losing seasons just to pull Auburn from the basketball hell Barbee took us to.

This would be like if Gene Chizik tweeted a laughing emoji when FSU beat us in the BCS title game when he led us to a 3-9 record the year prior.

It’s an unwritten rule that people in positions of authority don’t criticize or make fun of people or teams in your same profession.  Shows a lack of class and respect for the position.   

... this is also on the tail end of CBP publicly asking the Auburn fans not to get on to Barbee at Auburn Arena.  Which, for the most part, I think the fans abided by what Pearl requested.  I'm guessing next time Barbee is inside Auburn Arena ... the fan base won't hold back.

Barbee is a tool.  

9 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

... this is also on the tail end of CBP publicly asking the Auburn fans not to get on to Barbee at Auburn Arena.  Which, for the most part, I think the fans abided by what Pearl requested.  I'm guessing next time Barbee is inside Auburn Arena ... the fan base won't hold back.

Barbee is a tool.  

Barbee basically just threw gasoline on a fire that was probably on the verge of smoldering out.  On another note, while I do somewhat agree that it's not fair to hold him to higher standard than we as fans hold ourselves; he is a public figure and, therefore, ought to have enough sense not to get in pi$$ing  contests with fans.

He's lucky he has 2 years to find a new job that doesn't have AU as a road opponent because the crowd would be ruthless.

There's a reason why there is such a discrepancy between how AU people feel about Jeff Lebo and how they feel Tony Barbee and both essentially fired for not winning enough.

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

It’s an unwritten rule that people in positions of authority don’t criticize or make fun of people or teams in your same profession.  Shows a lack of class and respect for the position.   

You can't poke fun when you beat the dog crap out of 'em? :sad2:

"I heard about it," Pearl said when asked by Travis about Barbee's tweet, which was a cry-laughing emoji that was posted in the second half of Auburn's 31-point second-round loss. "First of all, when it comes to Twitter, you don't know who's either pushing the buttons or sometimes it can (be) false accounts. If it's true, it's very disappointing."

"Listen, I am so proud, Clay," Pearl continued. "I am so proud that Auburn men's basketball won the SEC regular (season) championship, it was the (No.) 1 seed in the (SEC) Tournament with the group that we had. We had talented players and those kids made sacrifices and they got right and they got ready and at the end of the day they were champions. Eh, I'm smiling too. I'm laughing too. I'm laughing. I'm LMAO, baby. I am and it's great. That stuff, listen, whatever."

Pearl's full segment with Travis can be found here.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/bruce_pearl_on_tony_barbees_ap.html

5 hours ago, RunInRed said:

"I heard about it," Pearl said when asked by Travis about Barbee's tweet, which was a cry-laughing emoji that was posted in the second half of Auburn's 31-point second-round loss. "First of all, when it comes to Twitter, you don't know who's either pushing the buttons or sometimes it can (be) false accounts. If it's true, it's very disappointing."

"Listen, I am so proud, Clay," Pearl continued. "I am so proud that Auburn men's basketball won the SEC regular (season) championship, it was the (No.) 1 seed in the (SEC) Tournament with the group that we had. We had talented players and those kids made sacrifices and they got right and they got ready and at the end of the day they were champions. Eh, I'm smiling too. I'm laughing too. I'm laughing. I'm LMAO, baby. I am and it's great. That stuff, listen, whatever."

Pearl's full segment with Travis can be found here.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2018/03/bruce_pearl_on_tony_barbees_ap.html

Gah, I hope he's back

Brandon Marcello was on the WJOX Roundtable this morning. He did not mince words about Tony Barbee being the worst coach he's ever covered at any sport at any level. He would keep media waiting an hour, he would show to practice late, his players didn't know when practice started or what was going on. BM said that Barbee loved golf, money, and the position of being an SEC head coach. Marcello called Barbee a terrible coach and basically a horrible person. I've never heard Marcello speak as opinionatedly as he did this morning about former AU Coach Tony Barbee. He said that he had no idea how TB ever broke into the ranks of D1 head coaching (hey Brandon, 2 words: John. Calipari.) All of what he said reinforces what I have heard from other insiders: that Barbee was a complete joke that buried AU hoops. 

I type all this to inform those uninformed ppl in Auburnfanland of just why a large contingent of AU fans have a particular disdain for former coach TB. I'm not losing sleep over it, but I do wish to help set the record straight for those who are curious why there is no love whatsoever for TB among the AU faithful.

would be interesting to see what Kentucky fans think of him. They probably love him because of Cal.

Barbee hasn't coached in ten years , he really doesn't engage much with the Kentucky players during games either.

Cal probably told him to shutup and just sit. Hold a clipboard or something so you look half way important

Archived