Brown or Purifoy at the 3

Bryce or Purifoy? 

Harper can’t lose his spot because he has proven he can run a semi healthy auburn offense. I think he’s a solid defender for his size but I hope he improves his cross over. Mustapha is Mustapha. His presence is enough. McLemore is the heart and soul. Wiley is going to be a damn beast. 

But we have that log jam at the 3 position that will needed to be decided. I think Purifoy personally 

5 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i don't think purifoy will ever see the court at AU again

His tweet or IG response recently seemed to allude to that he thinks he will be back. I’m going to hold onto it. 

My optimal starting 5 next year:

PG Harper

SG Bryce

SF Purifoy

Flex forward Heron

Center Wiley

They're our five best and it leaves you some serious depth and talent to work with off the bench in Okeke, Spencer, McLemore, Mitchell, Murray, and Dunbar

9 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

i don't think purifoy will ever see the court at AU again

It would be auburn luck that while guys like Sexton and Ayton have been essentially proven as having received something and were allowed to play, one of our elite prospects isn’t even completely proven and would never see the court again. That would just be our lucky 

however I’m an optimist with the basketball team and I believe that Danjel will help lead our modern reincarnation of the 38-1 Kentucky squad 

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Bryce is a 2, Danjel a 3

I didn’t realize how tall Purifoy was. Damn we really missed out on that frame. 

I guess you bench McLemore instead and just hope that Danjel can be half of what he was defensively 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I didn’t realize how tall Purifoy was. Damn we really missed out on that frame. 

I guess you bench McLemore instead and just hope that Danjel can be half of what he was defensively 

Problem is Danjel struggled at the 4 a little for us last year. I'm not sure how we go forward if he plays. I think Dunbar gets completely removed from the lineup and then maybe Horace's minutes while we go with Wiley (if he's back) and Anfernee at the 5? 

Either way we have tonssss of talent

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Problem is Danjel struggled at the 4 a little for us last year. I'm not sure how we go forward if he plays. I think Dunbar gets completely removed from the lineup and then maybe Horace's minutes while we go with Wiley (if he's back) and Anfernee at the 5? 

Either way we have tonssss of talent

I don’t want to sound like the trite apologist when I say this, but Dunbar’s a great guy who just mentally isn’t there yet. I hope they keep working with him and develop his game just in case, but his prospects at the 4 going forward is just odd for me 

It’s funny that I was thinking about DeSean Murray while writing that and everything that was written applies to either player. Both are hustle guys you need but can’t be the first ones off the bench for a championship team 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t want to sound like the trite apologist when I say this, but Dunbar’s a great guy who just mentally isn’t there yet. I hope they keep working with him and develop his game just in case, but his prospects at the 4 going forward is just odd for me 

Good for a couple minutes of havoc/energy and being an enforcer per game but outside of that is too much for his plate 

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

His tweet or IG response recently seemed to allude to that he thinks he will be back. I’m going to hold onto it. 

Unfortunately the NCAA has the ultimate say on Purifoy. If he was in the room when money changed hands as alleged he will likely never play at AU again.

If everyone returns next year, our starting 5 for the majority of our games should be this...

PG - Jared Harper

SG - Bryce Brown

SF - Mustapha Heron

PF - Chuma Okeke

C - Austin Wiley

Chuma played out of position the last few weeks, but I believe that he will be a beast alongside Wiley next year. Purifoy will be the 6th man of the year as he joins Mitchell, McLemore, Doughty, and Murray off the bench. Spencer and Dunbar are situational players at best to me.

The fact that they had to play so much in the tournament shows how limited our bench truly was. If we bring them off the bench in optimum situations then I believe they can be successful. The fact that we were running our offense through Spencer at times was laughable.

Wiley & Okeke should give us the size we need inside. It will also open up the outside shot for our guards. The keys to next year is driving more to the basket and teaching our bigs to find the open man when the double team comes.

Starters won’t be as big of a deal next year. If we get back Wiley and Purifoy, here’s our roater: 

1.) Harper

2.) Mitchell

3.) Brown

4.) Heron

5.) Dunbar

6.) Okeke

7.) Purifoy

8.) Akingbola

9.) Murray

10.) McLemore

11.) Wiley

12.) Spencer

13.) Doughty

And two walk ons

That’s right. If everything goes according to plan this off-season, we could be 13 deep going into next season, with 8 guys who have NCAA Tournament experience, and 9 who have experience running through an entire SEC season and winning the conference. 

Adding Purifoy and Wiley along with Akingbola, and getting McLemore back inside would give us a huge boost next year in a place where we struggled most this season. Adding Samir Doughty will be just one more guard that can rotate and compete. 

Thirteen deep is a real possibility. The 2018 Auburn Tigers were an amazing story, and a truly exciting and thrilling team to watch. The 2019 team could be incredibly special. 

Everything is in place, but what we will need most is a quiet off-season, with no athletic department/coach relationship mishaps, no suspensions or transfers, and hopefully, no Wiley or Purifoy leaving. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Unfortunately the NCAA has the ultimate say on Purifoy. If he was in the room when money changed hands as alleged he will likely never play at AU again.

I just wish they'd hurry up and settle the issue whatever the decision will be and we're not going into camp and the season continuing to ask if Purifoy will be an option. Stop hold these players and teams hostage. 

IF we get Wiley and Purifoy back, Bruce has the opportunity to go from a short team, to a big one.  The problem will be getting everyone playing time and chemistry but no doubt there is final 4 talent in this list.  Here's my stab at a 2 deep roster. 

1 - Harper  /  Mitchell

2 - Brown  /  Dunbar   (Heron here for big lineup, Purifoy to the 3, Okeke to the 4)

3 - Heron  /  Murray

4 - Purifoy  /  Okeke

5 - Wiley  /  McLemore

11 minutes ago, Rocket City Tiger said:

IF we get Wiley and Purifoy back, Bruce has the opportunity to go from a short team, to a big one.  The problem will be getting everyone playing time and chemistry but no doubt there is final 4 talent in this list.  Here's my stab at a 2 deep roster. 

1 - Harper  /  Mitchell

2 - Brown  /  Dunbar   (Heron here for big lineup, Purifoy to the 3, Okeke to the 4)

3 - Heron  /  Murray

4 - Purifoy  /  Okeke

5 - Wiley  /  McLemore

Chemistry?   Who knows... There seemed to be none for about half of the season ...even before A Mac was injured...looked really good for a while but something happened and it ended up every man for himself.JMO.

I don't see how McLemore doesn't start at the 4. He and AW as rim protectors would be dynamic.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I don't see how McLemore doesn't start at the 4. He and AW as rim protectors would be dynamic.

True.....and mostly BP plays a flexible offense and moves guys around but AW or AMac are both inside guys.   Watching the tournament games this week, it was amazing how many of the big guys were also able to go outside and get wide open 3 opportunities.   AMac could hit some but AW was not much of a shooter from anywhere if I recall.  And I still doubt he will be back...:dunno: 

If anybody watched the Michigan State Syracuse game even though Syracuse won it was amazing how MSU was able to get offensive rebounds on the backside of the zones. If by chance Wiley were to come back he could be a Zone killer even if we weren't hitting with backside pu tbacks.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Harper/Mitchell

Brown/ Doughty/Murray

Heron/Purifoy/Murray

Mac/Okeke/Murray

Wiley/Spencer

This is my guess if everyone is back

What are the sources saying as far as Pearl and Wiley/Purifoy. Amazing how there are so many recruiting sources within the paranoid football coach’s program.

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

What are the sources saying as far as Pearl and Wiley/Purifoy. Amazing how there are so many recruiting sources within the paranoid football coach’s program.

Good question but seems there are more experts and insiders (real of self proclaimed) in football than all other sports combined....but guess that is a reflection on where the interests lie at AU. 

We rarely get what I consider good information about who we might be pursuing or have a good chance to sign in basketball. Might be because in any given year we may only sign 3 or 4 players....

Archived