Was that CBP last game?

weathergeakal

Was that CBP last game as the HC of Auburn?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Was that CBP last game as the HC of Auburn?

• Yes
    • No

41 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I just don’t understand why some of his staffers like Frankie Sullivan had to go.

That is a good point...What could it possibly be? If they were implicated in the Chuck Person stuff would that have come out? Minor secondary violations? I have no idea.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

That is a good point...What could it possibly be? If they were implicated in the Chuck Person stuff would that have come out? Minor secondary violations? I have no idea.

JMO but when BP says he can't talk about it and nobody is explaining what the situation is with the two coaches....there is more than just secondary violations...but how much more?   I'm thinking Leath and Trustees know....and maybe Greene......and I guess one day we will know too.  :-\

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but when BP says he can't talk about it and nobody is explaining what the situation is with the two coaches....there is more than just secondary violations...but how much more?   I'm thinking Leath and Trustees know....and maybe Greene......and I guess one day we will know too.  :-\

I've laid this out before, but it's an ongoing FBI investigation. The FBI doesn't like it when people spill details about their investigations. They can get all jaily about those kinds of things.

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I've laid this out before, but it's an ongoing FBI investigation. The FBI doesn't like it when people spill details about their investigations. They can get all jaily about those kinds of things.

I've seen nothing that indicated AU is involved in the FBI investigation or why BP would be involved...unless they think he knows something useful for their case.    The last comment from AU about the FBI was that the school was the "victim" in this matter.  

JMO but it's not uncommon for people to hide behind the defense of an "ongoing investigation" or "national security".    Just saying, that if the FBI has people affiliated with AU locked down over this case....there is more than just Chuck involved because they have him on tape and already indicted.    What else do they need to know that might involve anyone at Auburn that could not be learned through a deposition?     

For example....we have not heard a single word from the two assistant coaches or their attorneys ......not a single word in their defense...and they are young guys and not as well off as BP.    Personally I see these guys as pawns in this situation...maybe not totally innocent but no indication the were involved either. ..so who is handling their legal fees?     Probably not Auburn.... so who is looking out for their interests?  

Meanwhile Person's trial is scheduled for Feb 2019 and I don't see AU letting the current situation continue until the case with Persons is resolved...... which could be.....who knows?  

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I don't think the FBI cares too much about leaking details of their investigations. Why else would they allow this pond scum to have access to detailed records like this?  

Pete Thamel:    Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

57 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I've seen nothing that indicated AU is involved in the FBI investigation or why BP would be involved...unless they think he knows something useful for their case.    The last comment from AU about the FBI was that the school was the "victim" in this matter.  

JMO but it's not uncommon for people to hide behind the defense of an "ongoing investigation" or "national security".    Just saying, that if the FBI has people affiliated with AU locked down over this case....there is more than just Chuck involved because they have him on tape and already indicted.    What else do they need to know that might involve anyone at Auburn that could not be learned through a deposition?     

For example....we have not heard a single word from the two assistant coaches or their attorneys ......not a single word in their defense...and they are young guys and not as well off as BP.    Personally I see these guys as pawns in this situation...maybe not totally innocent but no indication the were involved either. ..so who is handling their legal fees?     Probably not Auburn.... so who is looking out for their interests?  

Meanwhile Person's trial is scheduled for Feb 2019 and I don't see AU letting the current situation continue until the case with Persons is resolved...... which could be.....who knows?  

Great points AU64!

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Of course AU and Pearl are involved in the investigation. It happened to one of their employees while he was acting in that capacity. Being involved does not mean they are implicated or did anything wrong, but when there is a federal case, no one who knows anything is allowed to talk about it or it will be all over the internet in a matter of seconds. The reason they keep people quiet is because even the tiniest detail getting out before they want it to can be used to derail a case. Don't forget, Chuck has a legal team who's working hard to get him off whether he broke the law or not. This is America, where justice is determined not by the truth, but by who has the best lawyer.

As for the other two, it could be that they are witnesses for the prosecution. It could be that they did something completely unrelated but were told by the FBI to keep quiet about that because explaining their position could be detrimental to the case. It could be that they just don't have anything to say. We could speculate forever and still not hit on the truth. As for their interests, they did something that was worth removing them from their jobs, which tells you that they should have thought of their own best interest earlier and that ship has sailed. Also, who says they even have legal fees? Maybe they just got fired and moved on with their lived like most people who get fired. Seeing them as pawns seems pretty conspiracy theory to me, and also requires looking at Auburn in a negative light, which they have done nothing to earn as far as we have been told. 

The long and short of it is, it's beyond common for people involved in a legal case, especially a federal case, to be told to keep their mouths shut about it. As far as AU keeping quiet, they will do so as long as they are told to. The only people it's inconveniencing are people who want to know the details but have no claim to that knowledge.

24 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't think the FBI cares too much about leaking details of their investigations. Why else would they allow this pond scum to have access to detailed records like this?  

Pete Thamel:    Documents and bank records obtained in discovery during the federal investigation into the underbelly of college basketball detail in meticulous fashion the expenditures of prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller, his former associate Christian Dawkins and his agency, ASM Sports. They include expense reports and balance sheets that list cash advances, as well as entertainment and travel expenses for high school and college prospects and their families.

Pete Thamel: Cam Newton was paid $120,000 to play at Auburn.

If you believe anything he says, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas that I'll sell you.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I thought that I had read somewhere that they don't know why either.   It is all very strange, agree.

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The only people it's inconveniencing are people who want to know the details but have no claim to that knowledge.

So you are saying that President Leath does not understand the situation?   He's the one pushing the issue with BP.  

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

So you are saying that President Leath does not understand the situation?   He's the one pushing the issue with BP.  

I thought that was old news that has been resolved, but if Coach Pearl was told by the FBI not to talk about the details of the case to anyone, President Leath is part of anyone. The FBI out ranks college basketball, the NCAA, and the president of a university. 

There's really no point in making more out of this than what it is. Eventually the truth will come out.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Of course AU and Pearl are involved in the investigation. It happened to one of their employees while he was acting in that capacity. Being involved does not mean they are implicated or did anything wrong, but when there is a federal case, no one who knows anything is allowed to talk about it or it will be all over the internet in a matter of seconds. The reason they keep people quiet is because even the tiniest detail getting out before they want it to can be used to derail a case. Don't forget, Chuck has a legal team who's working hard to get him off whether he broke the law or not. This is America, where justice is determined not by the truth, but by who has the best lawyer.

As for the other two, it could be that they are witnesses for the prosecution. It could be that they did something completely unrelated but were told by the FBI to keep quiet about that because explaining their position could be detrimental to the case. It could be that they just don't have anything to say. We could speculate forever and still not hit on the truth. As for their interests, they did something that was worth removing them from their jobs, which tells you that they should have thought of their own best interest earlier and that ship has sailed. Also, who says they even have legal fees? Maybe they just got fired and moved on with their lived like most people who get fired. Seeing them as pawns seems pretty conspiracy theory to me, and also requires looking at Auburn in a negative light, which they have done nothing to earn as far as we have been told. 

The long and short of it is, it's beyond common for people involved in a legal case, especially a federal case, to be told to keep their mouths shut about it. As far as AU keeping quiet, they will do so as long as they are told to. The only people it's inconveniencing are people who want to know the details but have no claim to that knowledge.

I thought the asst. coaches were on paid administrative leave.  Did they get fired?

5 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I thought the asst. coaches were on paid administrative leave.  Did they get fired?

You could be right. I haven't followed that part of the story that closely. None the less, they apparently did something that made the university feel that was necessary. If they are on paid administrative leave, then they are on an extended vacation and have nothing to complain about.

34 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You could be right. I haven't followed that part of the story that closely. None the less, they apparently did something that made the university feel that was necessary. If they are on paid administrative leave, then they are on an extended vacation and have nothing to complain about.

That's not like being on a vacation....there are career implications with this.....and probably legal expenses.  and right now they are guilty until someone says they are innocent....and go out and find a job other than pumping gas with something like this on your record.    You may think I am being conspiratorial....but I think you are taking this too lightly.   I have no idea what they are doing but I doubt they are spending days on the golf course....

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's not like being on a vacation....there are career implications with this.....and probably legal expenses.  and right now they are guilty until someone says they are innocent....and go out and find a job other than pumping gas with something like this on your record.    You may think I am being conspiratorial....but I think you are taking this too lightly.   I have no idea what they are doing but I doubt they are spending days on the golf course....

Guilty of what? What legal expenses? Paid administrative leave means that there are unanswered questions and until they are answered, you get a paycheck and full benefits for doing whatever you want to do. Once the questions are answered, either you did something wrong and your gone or you are reinstated and the slate is clean... no lawyer required. I would venture to guess that they were in some way connected to something that the NCAA could go one way or another on, and they were put on leave to protect the program because if they weren't, the NCAA has a habit of vacating wins and the like. It could be as simple as they heard something about Person and kept it to themselves. If the NCAA doesn't have an issue, they will be reinstated and if the NCAA has issue, then they shouldn't have done whatever it was and they are gone. 

Nothing about this has the appearance of "hang the little guy out to dry to save someone's skin", and if you've seen me post, you know I'm the champion of the underdog.

51 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

could be as simple as they heard something about Person and kept it to themselves.

That could be..... but it's not a "simple thing" ...schools and people all over college football in trouble because someone heard something they knew was wrong..and said nothing....but guess we will find out....and I'm thinking this will not go on much longer.  ....suspect the PTBs were waiting until the season is over. 

I think the fact that Wiley and now Purifoy have been reinstated (once Purifoy has served a 9-game suspension to start next season) tells you there's excellent reason to expect CBP back next year.  Frankly I thought it was happening anyway, but Purifoy being allowed back is the clincher.  If Pearl was involved he'd already have been shown the door.

4 hours ago, triangletiger said:

As far as I know, they are still being paid their full salary. Still on paid leave. 

9 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

As far as I know, they are still being paid their full salary. Still on paid leave. 

Chuck Person was suspended without pay, and then fired in November. VerHulst and Sullivan were suspended WITH pay according to this article...and Sullivan's lawyer claims he gave no information that would implicate him in Person's issues. https://auburn.rivals.com/news/sullivan-still-searching-for-answers-regarding-suspension

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Pete Thamel: Cam Newton was paid $120,000 to play at Auburn.

If you believe anything he says, I've got some beachfront property in Kansas that I'll sell you.

I don't understand your response here.  Documents (hundreds of pages) from the FBI investigation were obtained by Yahoo Sports.  A balance sheet and portions  of expense reports from Andy Miller & Chris Dawkins with ASM Sports were made public.  Are you saying Thamel fabricated the whole story and there's about as much truth to it as the Cecil Newton story?

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

You made the comment that the FBI doesn't like to leak information about their investigations, yet somehow some very sensitive documents were obtained by a media outlet and Thamel reported on it.

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I don't understand your response here.  Documents (hundreds of pages) from the FBI investigation were obtained by Yahoo Sports.  A balance sheet and portions  of expense reports from Andy Miller & Chris Dawkins with ASM Sports were made public.  Are you saying Thamel fabricated the whole story and there's about as much truth to it as the Cecil Newton story?

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

You made the comment that the FBI doesn't like to leak information about their investigations, yet somehow some very sensitive documents were obtained by a media outlet and Thamel reported on it.

My point was quoting Thamel is a waste of time because he's more likely to fabricate something than not. Quoting him on an Auburn site... well, just :no: 

As for the leaked documents, people will do a lot of things for $$$ and if the FBI finds out who leaked the documents, their a** is likely going to jail.

With the news of Purifoy being cleared i'm feeling much better about Pearl being back next season. Feeling more and more like this whole thing is getting behind us so i'm feeling more positive that nothing new is coming out

Archived