Lawmaker Wants ‘General Hooker’ Sign Removed From State House

Auburn85

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/03/15/massachusetts-state-house-general-hooker-michelle-dubois/

BOSTON (CBS) – A Massachusetts lawmaker wants the “General Hooker Entrance” sign removed from the State House because she calls it a double entendre “misrepresented as respect for a long-dead general.”

Michelle DuBois – a state representative from Brockton, West Bridgewater, and East Bridgewater – tweeted a picture of the sign on Wednesday, saying “#MeToo it’s not all about rape & harassment but also women’s dignity.”

R U a “General Hooker”? Of course not! Yet the main entrance of the Mass State House says otherwise.#Metoo it’s not all about rape & harassment but also women’s dignity A “funny” double entendres misrepresented as respect for a long dead general?
1 Keep statue
2 Take sign down

The entrance is named after Civil War General Joseph Hooker. There is also a statue of him outside the State House.

DuBois, however, argued that the sign leads to teasing. She said the name change is “not a priority for me but I do think it should and will happen.”

“Female staffers don’t use that entrance because the sign is offensive to them,” DuBois told WBZ-TV’s David Robichaud.

FHYeVmTVqR89NhL6?format=jpg&name=small

“General Hooker Entrance” sign raises questions.

“Ive seen teenboys tease teengirls about being ‘general hookers’ waiting in line at the entrance. Sign is out of context & either Gen’s his first name should be added or change the entrance name,” Dubois replied to a Twitter user who was critical of her stance.

DuBois said the sign should be taken down and the statue should remain in place.

generalhooker1 Lawmaker Wants General Hooker Sign Removed From State House

General Joseph Hooker. (Image Credit: Boston Public Library)

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker was asked about the issue at a Thursday event.

“I think many people consider (General Hooker) to be part of the team that delivered freedom for slaves in this country,” Baker said. “But the name over the building itself obviously carries with it a connotation that, if the legislature and others think is an appropriate thing to change, that’s certainly something we’d be willing to talk about.”

A rumor also swirled that the slang word “hooker” came to be based on a group of women prostitutes who used to follow General Hooker around during the Civil War.

Massachusetts Historical Society Librarian Peter Drummey clarified: “It’s not true that it was started because of him. It pre-dates the Civil War. They were really talking about the camp followers, the prostitutes, and other shady hanging around his headquarters.

I have no problem with a Hooker entrance....... statue needs to go.

"Hooker planned an audacious campaign against Robert E. Lee, but his Army was defeated by the Confederate Army at the Battle of Chancellorsville. Hooker's subordinate general's mistakes, and a loss of confidence on his part contributed to a failure to marshal the strength of his larger army against Lee

"Hooker became known as "Fighting Joe" following a journalist's clerical error reporting from the Battle of Williamsburg; however, the nickname stuck. His personal reputation was as a hard-drinking ladies' man, and his headquarters were known for parties and gambling,"

Hooker was actually a really good and capable division and corps commander. After Chancellorsville, he would continue to be successful in the Western Theater. He just was a very poor army commander - couldn't handle the responsibility, etc. He was like Chizik - great defensive coordinator, very average head coach. Chancellorsville was an easily winnable battle. If Hooker had the confidence to follow through with his plans on May 1st, Lee would have been wrecked. Not to mention the number of casualties between the two armies was actually equal, meaning Lee sacrificed more of his army against Hooker to win a pyrrhic victory that didn't change the strategic situation in Virginia and sapped the army of 13,000+ men including Stonewall Jackson. Hooker just lost it once the battle started and got really paranoid and defensive. If Meade, Hancock, Sedgwick, Slocum, or Reynolds had been in command, the result would have been different.

At any rate, this is dumb and shouldn't change.

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to add the general's first name to the sign so it reads "General Joseph Hooker Entrance."  That said, there are way bigger issues worth getting one's undies in a bunch over than this.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to add the general's first name to the sign so it reads "General Joseph Hooker Entrance."  That said, there are way bigger issues worth getting one's undies in a bunch over than this.

What gets my undies in a bunch is that a lawmaker anywhere said "R U a “General Hooker”?  Elected representatives are openly speaking text.

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

What gets my undies in a bunch is that a lawmaker anywhere said "R U a “General Hooker”?  Elected representatives are openly speaking text.

Well there is that.

I think politicians look for any stupid thing to stand out and look like they're doing something or standing for something.  They are show ponies, prancing about to get attention but actually accomplishing little of the work they are there to do.

I don't see a problem clearing up what the sign is intended for by adding his first name.  Glomming this on to the #metoo movement is moronic though. 

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Well there is that.

I think politicians look for any stupid thing to stand out and look like they're doing something or standing for something.  They are show ponies, prancing about to get attention but actually accomplishing little of the work they are there to do.

I don't see a problem clearing up what the sign is intended for by adding his first name.  Glomming this on to the #metoo movement is moronic though. 

Personally, I cannot take anyone that says "R U" seriously.  You are openly broadcasting that even you do not think what you have to say is worth using words.

You are certainly correct about politicians prancing about.  While it is pathetic, I cannot really blame them for it, as we obviously reward them well for such behavior and thus encourage it.  Our partisan divide, that has literally turned into a political war, has only made that worse.  We expect little from our elected representatives, and actually demand even less, yet we keep voting for them as long as they have the R or D next to their name.

As for the sign, I also think clearing it up by adding his first name is the best idea.  That said, I must confess that I would laugh if I ever came upon an entrance marked "General Hooker Entrance".

1 minute ago, Strychnine said:

Personally, I cannot take anyone that says "R U" seriously.  You are openly broadcasting that even you do not think what you have to say is worth using words.

You are certainly correct about politicians prancing about.  While it is pathetic, I cannot really blame them for it, as we obviously reward them well for such behavior and thus encourage it.  Our partisan divide, that has literally turned into a political war, has only made that worse.  We expect little from our elected representatives, and actually demand even less, yet we keep voting for them as long as they have the R or D next to their name.

As for the sign, I also think clearing it up by adding his first name is the best idea.  That said, I must confess that I would laugh if I ever came upon an entrance marked "General Hooker Entrance".

Funny thing is, she's making it about women when I really think the "hooker" reference is best applied to politicians in general.  No one puts out for money better than they do.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Funny thing is, she's making it about women when I really think the "hooker" reference is best applied to politicians in general.  No one puts out for money better than they do.

That is precisely why I would laugh about it.  You laugh and think "of course" when you see "hooker" applied to an entrance to the State House.

47 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I take it some of you old cats were alive in his day? ;)

There are a few here that I think may have first seen action at the Battle of Hastings.

It is obviously a slow and boring day when this OP generates a dozen responses ....

Do what TT suggests....problem solved and that unknown state pol can go back to being insignificant and unknown. 

We are now offended by a sophomoric joke...

Are we about to legislate away bad puns too?

Archived