Love you all, but get real with facebook

AUbritt

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

Facebook can not be trusted. 

And took you this long to figure that out?     It's not just the politics....it's the total lack of privacy protection for it's clients. 

The system is structured in such a way that it makes your personal (I was going to say private...but that's a laugh) ...anyway, your personal information and makes it available to anyone who wants to make the effort to find it. . 

What is amazing is that anyone is surprised that Cambridge Analytica or any other commercial enterprise would find a way to profit from their weakness.  It's like dropping $100 bills on the ground and expecting everyone to just walk past and not pick them up.   Information is money after all...and the more private or personal it is, the more valuable it is.  ..  

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And took you this long to figure that out?     It's not just the politics....it's the total lack of privacy protection for it's clients. 

The system is structured in such a way that it makes your personal (I was going to say private...but that's a laugh) ...anyway, your personal information and makes it available to anyone who wants to make the effort to find it. . 

What is amazing is that anyone is surprised that Cambridge Analytica or any other commercial enterprise would find a way to profit from their weakness.  It's like dropping $100 bills on the ground and expecting everyone to just walk past and not pick them up.   Information is money after all...and the more private or personal it is, the more valuable it is.  ..  

It was in response to Proud and Nola's bemused responses. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It was in response the Proud and Nola's bemused responses. 

Sorry....but you were right....they can't be trusted.

This company has conned a huge percent of the population into giving up their private and personal information .... thinking Facebook was some kind of useful and benevolent social platform....whereas it is probably 1984 come to life in our time.     Right now, IMO,  Facebook is being shielded by the media by making this Cambridge Analytica about the Trump campaign rather than about Facebook and the crappy privacy policies and controls.  

Facebook gladly took money from these guys and the Russians and who knows who else......and now people are upset how the information was being used, or who was using it.    Man, that horse has been out of the barn for years.    Facebook.....either fools or hypocrites...and either way.....it can not be trusted. 

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sorry....but you were right....they can't be trusted.

This company has conned a huge percent of the population into giving up their private and personal information .... thinking Facebook was some kind of useful and benevolent social platform....whereas it is probably 1984 come to life in our time.     Right now, IMO,  Facebook is being shielded by the media by making this Cambridge Analytica about the Trump campaign rather than about Facebook and the crappy privacy policies and controls.  

Facebook gladly took money from these guys and the Russians and who knows who else......and now people are upset how the information was being used, or who was using it.    Man, that horse has been out of the barn for years.    Facebook.....either fools or hypocrites...and either way.....it can not be trusted. 

Yeah, Democratic legislators are already calling for Mark Zucherberg to come to Capitol Hill and testify.  I don't see a shielding of Facebook happening at all.

13 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, Democratic legislators are already calling for Mark Zucherberg to come to Capitol Hill and testify.  I don't see a shielding of Facebook happening at all.

They’re getting pilloried right now in both the press and the stock market, too. 

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Zucherberg's testimony should be interesting .....and now we will see how the Dems respond....whether they are concerned about Facebook's non-existent privacy protections....or will this be another opportunity to hit on DT over using information apparently gained legally from Facebook.   I'm betting the questioning will focus not on Facebook but on the Trump campaign and Cambridge Analytics and Russia.   C-A was pretty cleaver....they apparently bought a bunch of customer contacts from Facebook and ran a survey and then expanded something like 250,000 contacts into by a reported 50,000,000 by linking to the "friends".

As for protecting Facebook.....I went on line and googled to see what was being published and  there was almost nothing on Zucherberg but must have been a dozen or more items from NTY, WPO and on and on about the Trump campaign using the data and how it helped win the election.....and self promotion pieces from Cambridge Analytica claiming they got DT elected and got Brixet passed...and articles connecting C-A to Russia , etc. etc.   in mainstream media sources.   Saw nothing critical about Facebook and Zucherberg and why they were selling personal site information.   

Now maybe that is on Google for loading up their "hits" with that type article but seems the national media wants to make this about the Trump campaign and not Facebook's profiting from personal information from it's customers. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They’re getting pilloried right now in both the press and the stock market, too. 

The market I can understand...investors won't fall for the BS that is being promoted about C-A and Russia and the DT campaign.  

They know that Facebook could take a big hit if its  sheep customers finally realize they are giving away their personal information for nothing. Nobody on Facebook worried about identity theft huh?  

Funny I just read Jim Carrey threatens pulling his facebook investment prior to seeing this topic....

I never had facebook or myspace accts.......always amazed people would post vacation plans and other personal info.....

I must admit at my age I used to pay a dime to make a phone call when on the road and still prefer cell phones for calls only lol

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Zucherberg's testimony should be interesting .....and now we will see how the Dems respond....whether they are concerned about Facebook's non-existent privacy protections....or will this be another opportunity to hit on DT over using information apparently gained legally from Facebook.   I'm betting the questioning will focus not on Facebook but on the Trump campaign and Cambridge Analytics and Russia.   C-A was pretty cleaver....they apparently bought a bunch of customer contacts from Facebook and ran a survey and then expanded something like 250,000 contacts into by a reported 50,000,000 by linking to the "friends".

As for protecting Facebook.....I went on line and googled to see what was being published and  there was almost nothing on Zucherberg but must have been a dozen or more items from NTY, WPO and on and on about the Trump campaign using the data and how it helped win the election.....and self promotion pieces from Cambridge Analytica claiming they got DT elected and got Brixet passed...and articles connecting C-A to Russia , etc. etc.   in mainstream media sources.   Saw nothing critical about Facebook and Zucherberg and why they were selling personal site information.   

Now maybe that is on Google for loading up their "hits" with that type article but seems the national media wants to make this about the Trump campaign and not Facebook's profiting from personal information from it's customers. 

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/facebook-data-scandal-trump-election-obama-2012/ 

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Thanks Salty....had heard discussions on this but when I did a quick search on Google for that general topic....big surprise, nothing came up.

You obviously have better sources....:thumbsup:.

53 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Funny I just read Jim Carrey threatens pulling his facebook investment prior to seeing this topic....

I never had facebook or myspace accts.......always amazed people would post vacation plans and other personal info.....

I must admit at my age I used to pay a dime to make a phone call when on the road and still prefer cell phones for calls only lol

With social networking sites, and even Google services, people are almost always primarily concerned with what other users see.  "Can only my friends see my photos from vacation and of my kids?", for example.  They rarely put much thought into what the companies behind those sites are doing with their massive database of personal information, communications, and/or files.  People talk about privacy, and in the next breath upload a spreadsheet that contains their financial account information to Google Drive.

Edited to add:  Given their ubiquity, the information they possess, the traffic they control, and their global smartphone market share, Google is capable of basically wrecking the world in a way that only nation-states launching nuclear weapons can match.  Let that sink in and rattle around for a little while.

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks Salty....had heard discussions on this but when I did a quick search on Google for that general topic....big surprise, nothing came up.

You obviously have better sources....:thumbsup:.

There is one other big difference: how these revelations were received by pundits and the press. In 2012, Obama was wildly celebrated in news stories for his mastery of Big Data, and his genius at mining it to get out the vote.

20 minutes ago, alexava said:

Whatever I put on FB.... I don’t give a damn who sees it. 

That's smart.....I see stuff  my grand kids have there and I know at some point it is gonna come back to bite them.  

And all you have to do is read the tweet and twitter posts on the forum to see how much stupid stuff gets posted that sooner or later will embarrass who ever put it up.....and face book is pretty much the same.

I look at Facebook to see what family is doing but sure don't post. 

59 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's smart.....I see stuff  my grand kids have there and I know at some point it is gonna come back to bite them.  

And all you have to do is read the tweet and twitter posts on the forum to see how much stupid stuff gets posted that sooner or later will embarrass who ever put it up.....and face book is pretty much the same.

That’s why I am not in social media !

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

The internet was a much better place before the smartphone gave everyone easy access to it.  People were less likely to post stupid stuff when it required more effort than opening an app on your phone from wherever you are, swiping some nonsense, and tapping submit with your finger.  The internet gave all of us easy access to limitless knowledge, and we gave the internet Twitter and Facebook.  The internet should declare war on us.

55 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

That’s why I am not in social media !

Me too....I say stupid stuff often enough and I sure don't want it memorialized ....but then again, at my age, there are probably few situations where it will have a negative effect on my career......maybe keep me off some church committee or something perhaps.......which is something to consider perhaps...

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

I tried Facebook once but could never find any "friends". :sad2:  

My daughter in law wanted me to "friend" her FB account.....I told her that I don't do FB....she is now my former daughter in law.....I wonder if here is a connection?  :-\

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

My daughter in law wanted me to "friend" her FB account.....I told her that I don't do FB....she is now my former daughter in law.....I wonder if here is a connection?  :-\

Good words " I don't do Facebook " have said that many times. We are odd I suppose.

Archived