Love you all, but get real with facebook

AUbritt

Took him long enough. 

I suspect he is really ignorant of how powerful his platform and he himself have become. Either that, or he doesn't care to know, since it's not power, but profit he's after.

It will be really interesting to see whether Congress decides to regulate FB.

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

Guarantee you the Feds are on him about the unprecedented amount of stock he sold over the past month. He saved MILLIONS. Smells like insider trading to me. 

4 hours ago, AUbritt said:

Took him long enough. 

I suspect he is really ignorant of how powerful his platform and he himself have become. Either that, or he doesn't care to know, since it's not power, but profit he's after.

It will be really interesting to see whether Congress decides to regulate FB.

Regulation would be too bad.....but as for Zucherburg who seems to be in hiding, I expect he and most of his young wizards never gave much thought to the adverse consequences of what they were developing...... not thinking of the ways it could be used or misused by devious folks.  

In 2012 everyone thought it was brilliant that the Obama campaign made good use of it with the help of FB management.  Yet, even then, nobody seemed to care that personal information was being "harvested" because they figured it was for a good cause. ...and nobody cared when the Russians were using FB for their own purposes and buying space.  It's pretty hypocritical that it was only when Republicans picked up on the same  Dem tactic to gather voter related information that anyone in FB or Washington became concerned. What goes around , comes around.....or something like that. 

But.....sure hate to see more government regulation....to protect smart people from themselves. and how did Zuch figure it was a good time to dump some of his stock but to give him some credit , it was just a pittance and he probably needed it to pay his taxes. 

25 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Old school here.   I don't get/need the social media thing.     

Well, except for this forum. ;D

In my world Facebook is how i communicate with most of my own family. Brought me back in touch with old friends that i haven't seen in decades and may never had seen again. Some live in the same county, some in Europe. I thought it was ridiculous till 2011. There has been some drama too, but by far a very positive for me.

21 hours ago, AU64 said:

Regulation would be too bad.....but as for Zucherburg who seems to be in hiding, I expect he and most of his young wizards never gave much thought to the adverse consequences of what they were developing...... not thinking of the ways it could be used or misused by devious folks.  

In 2012 everyone thought it was brilliant that the Obama campaign made good use of it with the help of FB management.  Yet, even then, nobody seemed to care that personal information was being "harvested" because they figured it was for a good cause. ...and nobody cared when the Russians were using FB for their own purposes and buying space.  It's pretty hypocritical that it was only when Republicans picked up on the same  Dem tactic to gather voter related information that anyone in FB or Washington became concerned. What goes around , comes around.....or something like that. 

But.....sure hate to see more government regulation....to protect smart people from themselves. and how did Zuch figure it was a good time to dump some of his stock but to give him some credit , it was just a pittance and he probably needed it to pay his taxes. 

I'm with you and wish regulation were not the best or most likely option. Smart people should be able to get themselves out of FB's clutches or at least figure out when algorithms are manipulating them.

Archived