Will California Split?

Proud Tiger

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

It would be stupid for California to leave the United States, and it would be stupid for the United States to allow them to. 

The whole idea is so ridiculous that it is hard to believe that anyone out there takes it seriously.

But then again, California has a huge immigrant population and many of them probably have no concept of the United States....  and perhaps the thought of having their own country would be appealing.  Print up the proposal in Spanish and getting half a million signatures would probably be easy...just judging by all the flags from various Latin countries that are being waved at demonstrations out there....JMO.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

But then again, California has a huge immigrant population and many of them probably have no concept of the United States.... 

Irony.  The United States is a nation of immigrants.

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

The whole idea is so ridiculous that it is hard to believe that anyone out there takes it seriously.

But then again, California has a huge immigrant population and many of them probably have no concept of the United States....  and perhaps the thought of having their own country would be appealing.  Print up the proposal in Spanish and getting half a million signatures would probably be easy...just judging by all the flags from various Latin countries that are being waved at demonstrations out there....JMO.

Immigrants certainly influence California politics, but I expect secession to be the point at which their voices are ignored.  Imagine that one coming across the governor's desk.  The response:  "Funny, but no."

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Irony.  The United States is a nation of immigrants.

Founded as a nation of immigrants...but the vast majority of citizens feel their allegiance to the United States and not the their country of origin or the country of origin of their grand parents..  

Assimilation has made most of us Americans......., a relative few consider themselves hyphenated Americans....but the number seems to be growing.  

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Founded as a nation of immigrants...but the vast majority of citizens feel their allegiance to the United States and not the their country of origin or the country of origin of their grand parents..  

Assimilation has made most of us Americans......., a relative few consider themselves hyphenated Americans....but the number seems to be growing.  

So bottom line, you feel you can speak for immigrants regarding their feeling toward the country they have immigrated to.  

Sorry, but I'd like to see some data before simply accepting your feelings on that matter.

And not to change the subject, but it seems to me the vast majority of Trump supporters place more allegiance to Trump and Russia than they do the United States.  That is more concerning to me than how immigrants feel about the country they chose to come to.

Just now, homersapien said:

So bottom line, you feel you can speak for immigrants regarding their feeling toward the country they have immigrated to.  

Sorry, but I'd like to see some data before simply accepting your feelings on that matter.

And not to change the subject, but it seems to me the vast majority of Trump supporters place more allegiance to Trump and Russia than they do the United States.  That is more concerning to me than how immigrants feel about the country they chose to come to.

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement you have posted this year and that is saying something.  You better be careful or someone from AU will come and reclaim you diploma....

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement you have posted this year and that is saying something.  You better be careful or someone from AU will come and reclaim you diploma....

It's diplomas

And if you represented the true indicator of Auburn University intellectual integrity, I'd send them back.

And we'll find out just how true my statement is when Trump fires Mueller.

54 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I certainly agree that it is all talk.  It would be stupid for California to leave the United States, and it would be stupid for the United States to allow them to.  Even if a secession movement gained enough popular support to force the elected state officials to deal with it, I seriously doubt they would move forward with it.  I have a difficult time envisioning California officials signing its own Declaration of Independence.

Assuming California decided to secede, it would be a nightmare.  The United States has substantial resources located within California, resources that they certainly are not going to just let them have.  Naval Base San Diego alone would provide an immense hurdle.  The United States has nuclear weapons in California.  The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory is in California.  If this ever stopped being a ridiculously hypothetical discussion and started to move toward becoming a reality, I honestly believe the United States would occupy California to prevent it if necessary, quite quickly.

I'm not aware of any movement to secede, just split no nothing would be lost to the U.S. There has long been talk about splitting into 2 states, North and South. I have no idea if that would be a problem for the U.S. or just add one more state.

25 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That has got to be the most ridiculous statement you have posted this year and that is saying something.

LMAO. Sad but true. Plus there is no way Trump is going to fire Mueller so his self proclaimed "intellectual integrity" is already shot for all practical purposes. But down the road he will deny he ever said it in the first place. His usual MO.

6 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I'm not aware of any movement to secede, just split no nothing would be lost to the U.S. There has long been talk about splitting into 2 states, North and South. I have no idea if that would be a problem for the U.S. or just add one more state.

Yep...it's out there.... https://yescalifornia.org/

Campaign for independence...

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Yep...it's out there.... https://yescalifornia.org/

Campaign for independence...

As others have said this isn't going anywhere. I wonder how much resistance, if, any, the feds would have to just a north/south split with no secession involved.

6 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I know, I was actively participating in a mostly off-topic discussion.  I see no real advantage, and much unnecessary expense in splitting the state.  As states go, California works, it works very well, and they would be better served leaving it alone.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I know, I was actively participating in a mostly off-topic discussion.  I see no real advantage, and much unnecessary expense in splitting the state.  As states go, California works, it works very well, and they would be better served leaving it alone.

Having lived there I would argue with you on that.

Secession would never happen but the possibility of the more rural conservative eastern parts of the state desiring change is what is bringing this on. Will it happen I seriously doubt it but if they can drum up enough support to scare the PTB in California they might get some relief from policies that currently hurt their part of the state.  The Republicans like the idea while it would have minimal impact in the House , the current California Representatives from this part of the state are usually Republican they would probably pick up both Senators. Then the Democrats would push for Statehood for Puerto Rico to balance out the Senators.

The real issue is actually with the changing demographics throughout the country more an more people throughout the country move away from the rural and towards city and suburbia which means our breadbasket has less representation. The urban residents tend to be impacted more negatively by environmental issues  like smog and clean water and tend to vote that way. Many of the environmental and water regulations have a negative impact om Agriculture. 

It doesn't matter on which side of these type of regulations you are on if you don't realize that sometimes something that is good for one group may not be good for another. Farmers see urban areas with swimming pools and think that water should go towards agriculture. City people see how much water goes to irrigation and say that water should be used to provide drinking water.

9 hours ago, AU64 said:

Homer is an intellectual, don't you agree?

9 hours ago, homersapien said:

You've said some absurd things before, but this tops them all

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Secession would never happen but the possibility of the more rural conservative eastern parts of the state desiring change is what is bringing this on. Will it happen I seriously doubt it but if they can drum up enough support to scare the PTB in California they might get some relief from policies that currently hurt their part of the state.  The Republicans like the idea while it would have minimal impact in the House , the current California Representatives from this part of the state are usually Republican they would probably pick up both Senators. Then the Democrats would push for Statehood for Puerto Rico to balance out the Senators.

The real issue is actually with the changing demographics throughout the country more an more people throughout the country move away from the rural and towards city and suburbia which means our breadbasket has less representation. The urban residents tend to be impacted more negatively by environmental issues  like smog and clean water and tend to vote that way. Many of the environmental and water regulations have a negative impact om Agriculture. 

It doesn't matter on which side of these type of regulations you are on if you don't realize that sometimes something that is good for one group may not be good for another. Farmers see urban areas with swimming pools and think that water should go towards agriculture. City people see how much water goes to irrigation and say that water should be used to provide drinking water.

That's always the case with environmental regulation. Though I will note, agricultural operations are exempt from certain environmental regs - for example, established farming is exempt from the "almighty" Section 404 permit requirements of the Clean Water Act. Granted, this goes back to the "deal" that was struck between the agricultural industry and EPA in the [1970s?]. 

I'm probably talking about something completely irrelevant to your post. 

11 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Homer is an intellectual, don't you agree?

What is that famous line from "Animal House"......"seven years of college down the drain"....that might have been Homer for all we know.  

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seven+years+of+college+down+the+drainy&view=detail&mid=F6B98F65C2C6F6538423F6B98F65C2C6F6538423&FORM=VIRE

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

What is that famous line from "Animal House"......"seven years of college down the drain"....that might have been Homer for all we know.  

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seven+years+of+college+down+the+drainy&view=detail&mid=F6B98F65C2C6F6538423F6B98F65C2C6F6538423&FORM=VIRE

:comfort:

Archived