Eli Stove -- Torn ACL

Tiger

8 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Doesn't the position he plays require him to make some pretty quick cuts up field and couldn't that preclude him from getting back to his normal self? :dunno:

I was thinking this as well.  Him running the sweep requires him to plant his leg and cut up field.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate to hear this news.  I hope he has a fast road to recovery, regardless of football.

Until he is ready, I can say I have been training for this day and am ready to step in his place.  Let’s do this.

13D87289-51A5-4F35-BC43-41CB0EF0DD05.gif

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

ACLs are 9 months minimum. Most take 12 months.

The University of Pittsburg Medical Center disagrees with that assessment.  They say .5-1 month recovery and anywhere from 2-9 months rehab.
https://share.upmc.com/2015/04/recovery-time-for-acl-reconstruction-surgery/

As for no one wanting to believe that I have actually witnessed someone under the care of the Dr. who is taking care of Stove rehab in less than 6 months... whatever.

My daughter was playing softball again after 7 months.  I would think with the care and rehab facilities that AU can provide he could make in less time.  

Keep him in you prayers.  It can be hard on them mentally and emotionally as well.

War Eagle!

19 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Better Spring than Fall. I had a friend get his ACL fixed by Dr. Andrews back in the 90s and he was back to full strength in no time. I'm sure, with the tech they have now, Eli will be 100% by Fall Camp.

Some principled c. 2015 data I read around the time of my own (PCL) surgery indicated that up to 50% of elite, cutting movement athletes in Eli's age range recover about 110% of pre injury ACL battery test ability (including speed movements) after the 9 - 10 month post-surgery phase. Kind of makes you want to blow out your ACL doesn't it. :hellyeah:

19 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Kind of makes you want to blow out your ACL doesn't it. :hellyeah:

Nope.  I would rather be eaten alive by The Walking Dead than have a knife anywhere close to my knee.  I currently have two torn meniscus and elected not to have the surgery because of that.  :dead:

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Nope.  I would rather be eaten alive by The Walking Dead than have a knife anywhere close to my knee.  I currently have two torn meniscus and elected not to have the surgery because of that.  :dead:

My buddy's ACL was the easiest thing I've ever seen when it comes to surgical repairs. Pre-surgery he was pretty normal and it really didn't hurt unless he turned his knee just wrong (of course, all sports were out, including his beloved golf). Post surgery, he was off crutches within a month and he said he actually enjoyed rehab (of course, I didn't get to see any of that, so there may have been girls working there who influenced that).

Contrasting that, I've seen a few people go through shoulder surgery and they were in pain just trying to do normal things and had limited movement for months.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

My buddy's ACL was the easiest thing I've ever seen when it comes to surgical repairs. Pre-surgery he was pretty normal and it really didn't hurt unless he turned his knee just wrong (of course, all sports were out, including his beloved golf). Post surgery, he was off crutches within a month and he said he actually enjoyed rehab (of course, I didn't get to see any of that, so there may have been girls working there who influenced that).

Contrasting that, I've seen a few people go through shoulder surgery and they were in pain just trying to do normal things and had limited movement for months.

I just don’t like people doing anything to my knees.  Can’t stand it.

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

Some principled c. 2015 data I read around the time of my own (PCL) surgery indicated that up to 50% of elite, cutting movement athletes in Eli's age range recover about 110% of pre injury ACL battery test ability (including speed movements) after the 9 - 10 month post-surgery phase. Kind of makes you want to blow out your ACL doesn't it. :hellyeah:

It'll be a miracle to see him back at full speed any time during the regular season,  it'll take some time just to get to up to "game form" for the serious competition we face in Oct-Nov.  

Get well Eli.

I remember when Frankie Sullivan tore his ACL, I think he tried to come back towards the end of that year but wasn’t quite the same player until the next season. We’ve got a little over 5 months until the season begins, I’m optimistic about him being healthy again in the season but I’m not sure about greatly contributing. Time for someone else to step up and run the jet sweep! 

Carl Lawson tore his ACL around the same time of year, right? He missed the entire following season

49 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Carl Lawson tore his ACL around the same time of year, right? He missed the entire following season

Lawson's surgery was on May 1 and up until he didn't make it back, he was expecting to play as much as half of the season.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Lawson's surgery was on May 1 and up until he didn't make it back, he was expecting to play as much as half of the season.

I don't think any logical person was expecting him to play half that year. You don't tear an ACL in the spring and play that season, it just doesn't happen. I know you cited your buddy but I'd feel better about it if you showed me a football player having this injury in spring and playing that same season.

That rumor about Lawson coming back only had legs due to Gus being as vague as possible about his injury, as he usually is.

6 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I don't think any logical person was expecting him to play half that year. You don't tear an ACL in the spring and play that season, it just doesn't happen. I know you cited your buddy but I'd feel better about it if you showed me a football player having this injury in spring and playing that same season.

That rumor about Lawson coming back only had legs due to Gus being as vague as possible about his injury, as he usually is.

The rumor about Lawson coming back had legs because his dad spoke to the media and told him that sitting out in 2014 wasn't an option. Gus had very little to do with it.

Bama’s Eddie Jackson tore his ACL in the spring three or four years ago and still played ten games that fall. It can happen. 

13 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The rumor about Lawson coming back had legs because his dad spoke to the media and told him that sitting out in 2014 wasn't an option. Gus had very little to do with it.

We must remember it differently

I remember the board had a discussion about how realistic it was that he be back by the Ole Miss game - - which obviously didn't happen 

8 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We must remember it differently

I remember the board had a discussion about how realistic it was that he be back by the Ole Miss game - - which obviously didn't happen 

"The extent of the surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews has not been revealed, but missing the entire 2014 season is "not in the thought process" for Lawson's family, his father, Carl Lawson, Sr. told AL.com."

43 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

"The extent of the surgery performed by Dr. James Andrews has not been revealed, but missing the entire 2014 season is "not in the thought process" for Lawson's family, his father, Carl Lawson, Sr. told AL.com."

That's not a definitive statement from a surgeon or a PT.  That's a Dad not wanting to face a realistic timetable because of his son's future in football. Dr Andrews is 75 years old now and he doesn't do as many surgeries as he used to so it may possibly be one of his disciples who actually does the procedure. 

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's not a definitive statement from a surgeon or a PT.  That's a Dad not wanting to face a realistic timetable because of his son's future in football. Dr Andrews is 75 years old now and he doesn't do as many surgeries as he used to so it may possibly be one of his disciples who actually does the procedure. 

One of his disciples did my triple fusion on my back years ago and he was awesome!

4 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Didn't say it was, I was responding to the comment that Gus perpetuated the idea that he was coming back when it was really his dad.

As for Dr. Andrews staff, the only person I know who can speak to their skills is @passthebiscuits, but I'm sure he trained them very well.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

One of his disciples did my triple fusion on my back years ago and he was awesome!

We refer patients to The Andrews Institute every day and they are all very well taken care of....AI even has valet parking....lol.

Not impossible. just overly optimistic. Eli didn't redshirt. It would be nice to have him a fifth year. We are kinda stacked there now. We might need him worse then than now. I predict he doesn't play at all this season. I will gladly eat crow if i am wrong. 

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Jason Caldwell on the drive just now says he expects Stove to be ready to go once the season begins.....

if true, I would say he’ll probably be in a more limited role

Who is Jason Caldwell?

Archived