What Difference Does it Make?

AUld fAUx@

Apparently Coach Malzahn's style can frustrate  members of the media (or, at least, one).

"It means that when it comes to football, we have to work much harder to come up with creative stories and angles. Unfortunately at times, it means writing about even the most insignificant piece of news simply because it qualifies as news and we have a job to do. Often times, it means historical pieces. It means developing relationships with former players. Quite honestly, sometimes it means more frustration and less fun."

What do opposite approaches of Gus Malzahn, Bruce Pearl mean for SEC Country readers? [https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-football-basketball-gus-malzahn-bruce-pearl-media]

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 5:27 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

we have to work much harder to come up with creative stories and angles

To me, that's code for "We have to make stuff up because actual information just isn't available". 

Beat writers traditionally haven't been investigative journalists, IMO. Just messengers. They're kinda screwed when there's no message. 

I don't blame them for being angry, although some of them- looking at you, Jimmy the Creep- are downright unprofessional in the way they let that show in their writing. 

One of the reasons that the press loves saban is because he moves the meter, *especially* when he's berating them in press conferences. Even if it's uncomfortable when it's your turn in the barrel, he makes their jobs easier. I'm sure Michigan media are doing everything they can to secure a lifetime contract for Harbaugh. 

Gus isn't ever going to be interesting, but I hope the new AD figures out some ways to swing things back towards the center for Auburn. A friendlier local media could improve the overall perception of Auburn, including that of recruits and prospective students. 

Archived