Auburn at Ga Tech

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Car radio is great and love to this day. My parents were misguided bammers when I was 9 or 10. For whatever reason I was already Auburn. On fall Saturdays they tuned the Stereo to bammer. My Dad taught  me how to turn the Chevrolet Belair keys to ACC and listen to Buddy Rutledge.

BTW, my Mother is still alive and loves to wear orange and blue.  

Interesting that car radios had much better reception than typical home radio...like you and golf, I spent some time in our old car listening to ballgames at night...including college football where I hate to say I became an LSU fan because we could get their games on WWL from New Orleans at night. 

And back in the day, we went to baseball games....every town in the deep south with 1000 or so people had it's own semi-pro baseball team or a mill team that played on weekends.... and bigger towns had Class D baseball too..  We saw the game live and got to love its nuances. ...the strategies, the pace of play, watching and talking about the game with people you knew.

College baseball has some of those same old fashioned attributes which is why I enjoy it so much. 

And dang....I hate we lost that game last night....mostly one bad pitch did us in.....but that kind of thing happens to young pitchers.

17 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I remeber wtix early 70's.....Could also get wwl in Mobile.......Early 90' used to listen to JR.

Youngster. 64 and I are talking 60's. Wish  Golf would  fill us in on the early 50's......or did you graduate in 67

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Youngster. 64 and I are talking 60's. Wish  Golf would  fill us in on the early 50's......or did you graduate in 67

I graduated in 64 and thinking back to time from 1950 until 59 while I lived in Fairhope....great place to grow up.....we called it "kid Heaven". 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

D.O.B...........was raised by older parents born in early and late 20's..........how I miss their stories and them as well.

47 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I graduated in 64 and thinking back to time from 1950 until 59 while I lived in Fairhope....great place to grow up.....we called it "kid Heaven". 

Fairhope is still a "Heaven" place. Have family over at Orange Beach that I visit, make up to Fairhope every chance I get. Love that whole area.

New you graduated in 64 and probably talking some 50's. Can Golf remember the 40's?  

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Fairhope is still a "Heaven" place. Have family over at Orange Beach that I visit, make up to Fairhope every chance I get. Love that whole area.

New you graduated in 64 and probably talking some 50's. Can Golf remember the 40's?  

Not sure golf is as old as he makes out....think maybe he has just been "rode hard"...and just seems old...:dunno:

I lived in Savannah most of the 40s.....remember going to see Savannah Indian baseball with my dad.....farm team from Cleveland and we went regularly when I was  7 -9 years old before we moved to Alabama..   Remembered seeing Savannah play Cleveland back in the day....before spring training was so organized, the bigs played some games against their minor league teams  on their way north.   Savannah was in the Sally League and we got to see a few future major league players. .

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not sure golf is as old as he makes out....think maybe he has just been "rode hard"...and just seems old...:dunno:

I lived in Savannah most of the 40s.....remember going to see Savannah Indian baseball with my dad.....farm team from Cleveland and we went regularly when I was  7 -9 years old before we moved to Alabama..   Remembered seeing Savannah play Cleveland back in the day....before spring training was so organized, the bigs played some games against their minor league teams  on their way north.   Savannah was in the Sally League and we got to see a few future major league players. .

My oldest son was in Savannah for a few years recently after graduating. Was regular at the then Savannah  Sand Gnats. Said was great fun and baseball. Who could not be for the "Sand Gnats"?

48 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

My oldest son was in Savannah for a few years recently after graduating. Was regular at the then Savannah  Sand Gnats. Said was great fun and baseball. Who could not be for the "Sand Gnats"?

They were aptly named.  :)   ....a local product....sand gnats were nasty little biters.....almost invisible...

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

They were aptly named.  :)   ....a local product....sand gnats were nasty little biters.....almost invisible...

No-See-Um's in Fl.

6 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

When I was a teenager we called Fairhope "God's Country".

I see tonight that Arkansas was beaten by Charlotte. I find baseball puzzling. They pummeled Kentucky last weekend and then can only get three runs now.   I know we only had three against tech but they have a decent rpi.

10 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I see tonight that Arkansas was beaten by Charlotte. I find baseball puzzling. They pummeled Kentucky last weekend and then can only get three runs now.   I know we only had three against tech but they have a decent rpi.

You can throw out the book on mid week games.....lots of younger players getting a chance and like in our game. and often the game is more important to the opposing team that to Auburn or Arkansans for instance.   Against Tech, we were not playing all that bad and then boom....a 3 run homer and that was about it.    

I'm curious whether those games impact RPI much ....or at all for that matter....once the season gets under way, those should get a pass in the effect on rankings.....JMO.

gotta take 2 out of 3 from the kittens come this weekend.

Archived