Purifoy eligibility

weathergeakal

He will have to miss the first 30% of the year but after that he is good 2 go!

"The Auburn president’s office just sent this to me.

The NCAA ruled that Danjel Purifoy will regain his eligibility after the first 30 percent of next basketball season. Danjel is happy with the decision and excited for next season.

"We worked diligently with the NCAA on behalf of both our student-athletes who were ineligible this season,” said Auburn President Steve Leath. “The process was arduous, but it was important that we do everything we could to put Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley in the best position to resume their Auburn basketball careers. We're happy for them and their teammates and coaches."-Brandon Marcello

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

So essentially he will be ready for SEC play?

They way i understand it is that using this year schedule he would be back after 9 games which would be in Mid December 

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/03/danjel-purifoy-will-be-cleared-to-return

Auburn basketball fans can only wonder what might have been had star players Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley been eligible this past season. After Wiley was cleared to play next season in January, the Tigers got more good news Tuesday as Danjel Purifoy will be cleared to return in 2018-19 once he serves a suspension that amounts to 30 percent of the season.

That percentage means Purifoy will miss about nine games, but he will likely be available for the entire SEC schedule.

"We worked diligently with the NCAA on behalf of both our student-athletes who were ineligible this season,” Auburn University president Steven Leath said in a statement. “The process was arduous, but it was important that we do everything we could to put Danjel Purifoy and Austin Wiley in the best position to resume their Auburn basketball careers. We're happy for them and their teammates and coaches."

According to an Auburn spokesman, Purifoy is “Happy with the decision and excited for next season.”

Purifoy did not play a single game for the SEC regular season champions due to his connection to the FBI investigation that resulted in the firing of former assistant coach Chuck Person.

After redshirting the entire 2015-16 season, Purifoy averaged 11.5 points, 4.7 rebounds, and 1.8 assists in 25 games as a freshman in 2016-17. The Centreville, Alabama native was ranked the No. 1 recruit in Alabama by 247 sports in 2015.

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Is that 30% based off on games or days?

That’s a good question. I would assume games personally. 

22 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

That’s a good question. I would assume games personally. 

So would him sitting out the Maui invitational take care of 1/3rd of his suspension?

1 hour ago, weathergeakal said:

They way i understand it is that using this year schedule he would be back after 9 games which would be in Mid December 

That would be perfect timing.  

I really wasn't expecting to see him again but thats awesome they are going to let him play. Should be interesting to see how he works his way into the lineup. I really just hope with a full roster that we can get back to applying the pressure that made us so successful the first 3/4 of this last season. 

Basically, we won’t have him until about 3-4 games left in our non conference schedule. That will mean he’ll have a few games to get that on-court chemistry with the guys back into form before SEC play begins. Man it’ll be nice to see him play again, when he’s on, he’s one of my favorite guys to watch on offense 

43 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So DP is looking like a returning player. Only have to recruit Wiley to stay and get another big to rotate with Spencer and McLemore

2019 commit akingbola is trying to reclassify to the 18 class.

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So would him sitting out the Maui invitational take care of 1/3rd of his suspension?

Perhaps they don’t count tournament games for some reason. I dunno, NCAA does some weird stuff. :)

13 minutes ago, CAS15 said:

2019 commit akingbola is trying to reclassify to the 18 class.

I wonder if they push for that if Wiley decides to return. I wonder if we would hold off and let him come with the 2019 class now and maybe take a true transfer to fill that 13th scholarship spot for this upcoming season. 

I feel awful for the kid. He has had 2 sit out for 2 whole dang seasons of his career so far. I guarantee you no one else will get popped nearly as much as we did for this. If this were football we would be protected since we are one of the Ncaa darlings. But since it is basketball we are on our own and being fed to the wolves. Just so glad that there is a end in sight and he will be back. WAR DAMN PURIFOY!!!! Like someone said above when he is on he is my favorite player to watch on this team on offense.

It will be interesting to see how the picture unfolds with Wiley. Hope he comes back. I saw on ESPN that bama hotshot Sexton is rated the #9 pick in the pro draft if he decides to go. Hope he goes.

3 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

It will be interesting to see how the picture unfolds with Wiley. Hope he comes back. I saw on ESPN that bama hotshot Sexton is rated the #9 pick in the pro draft if he decides to go. Hope he goes.

There is 0 chance sexton comes back. He had made up his mind he was going pro this draft before he stepped on the court this season. One of those foregone conclusions.

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is 0 chance sexton comes back. He had made up his mind he was going pro this draft before he stepped on the court this season. One of those foregone conclusions.

well he got paid by an agent too but that's ok.

Great news for Purifoy but the timing sure seems odd. The ncaa probably has known for weeks but sat on it.

Archived