Purifoy eligibility

weathergeakal

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I agree that the talking heads think Wiley is probably gone athletic big men (both height and width) are hard to find. I have not seen any mock draft with Purifoy in it. Purifoy has stated he will be back. Unless Purifoy turns a lot of heads at the NBA combine I expect to see him with us after the end of his suspension next year. Purifoy is one of many athletic 6'7' to 6'9" players who are good shooters as such he would have to excel to improve his stock. As long as Wiley has a solid combine I think he is gone but if he is not projected in the second round after the combine I see him returning for one more year to hone his skills. If I was to set odds on Wiley it would be 65% gone 35% return.  Purifoy would be 80% return 20% stay and probably about the same for Heron.

There are only 2 rounds of the NBA draft. If Wiley goes in the second round, it will almost assuredly be a huge financial mistake for him, given his potential to be a lottery pick the next year if he returns and has a great season. He’d make more money in his rookie year as a top-10 pick then in his first two as a 2nd rounder or even late first rounder. 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m still not sure I understand- 

Isn’t the case basically whether Purifoy took money or not? If so, I’m not sure I understand why he is still allowed to play college basketball at all if he did in fact do this... 

If he accepted money, he is a professional athlete, and thus cannot play college basketball. If he didn’t, there should be no suspension at all. Why is there an “in between” ruling here? This seems like black and white to me- if you did it, you can’t play, but if you didn’t, you can. 

What am I missing?...

My guess is, if he/his family was given money, it was paid back (probably to some fund or foundation or something since it can't go back to an FBI informant) and his amateur eligibility was reinstated. I do think the NCAA does their best not to completely exile kids from collegiate athletics because, for some, it's their best or only shot at getting a college education. 

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I feel awful for the kid. He has had 2 sit out for 2 whole dang seasons of his career so far. I guarantee you no one else will get popped nearly as much as we did for this. If this were football we would be protected since we are one of the Ncaa darlings. But since it is basketball we are on our own and being fed to the wolves. Just so glad that there is a end in sight and he will be back. WAR DAMN PURIFOY!!!! Like someone said above when he is on he is my favorite player to watch on this team on offense.

Isn't yellow the sarcasm color?

I don't feel like one of the darlings.  Maybe as long as we don't beat bama too often we'll be left alone.

As for the kid, I agree that it sucks to be out 2 out of 3 seasons.  But, sadly,  he can blame Mama for this past missed year.

6 hours ago, keesler said:

BP is the HC, he had 3 coaches and 2 players commit NCAA violations under his watch whether he was aware of their activities or not, it happened.  At this point the NCAA has ruled on punishment for the student-athletes, but at some point they're going to have to come to a ruling on the program.:dunno:

Well i guess i'll worry about the ncaa ruling on that when they announce there is an investigation. I figure someone would say so if we were being looked at like that. 

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

They cleared him back in November. Alabama did an investigation, submitted their findings to the NCAA, and they ruled he was eligible but had to serve a one-game suspension. 

More yellow sarcasm font.

8 hours ago, boomstick said:

That Bama coach was an associate AD/head of basketball operations and had just come back to Tuscaloosa after serving as an assistant director of enforcement with the NCAA. The fact that he arranged an improper meeting was enough to fire him. That's incompetence arrogance on a whole other level. I believe Sexton had to pay back the money for his meal, and the suspension was more than what Miles Bridges received for the same offense. I believe Bridges only paid back the money but missed no time.

Seriously?

He's in Tuscaloosa! Why would he think the rules apply to him?!?

7 hours ago, keesler said:

BP is the HC, he had 3 coaches and 2 players commit NCAA violations under his watch whether he was aware of their activities or not, it happened.  At this point the NCAA has ruled on punishment for the student-athletes, but at some point they're going to have to come to a ruling on the program.:dunno:

What did the other two coaches do?

3 hours ago, alexava said:

i think the evidence against auburn/persons/wiley/purifoy/families was just overbearing compared to most other schools involved. I doubt the ncaa or fbi was picking on auburn. we have Chuck Persons to blame. Unless I'm made aware of some other information that is how i see it.. Auburn protected itself well, I think.

I'm shocked that both the guys are given the opportunity to return.   I don't understand how you get a one year suspension and eligibility the next if you took money.  Seems to me you either did or didn't do it.  Either totally in or totally out.  Kind of like be pregnant or married.  You are or your not.

Glad for us they are coming back.....maybe.

So far we don't know what the other two staffers did or are accused of doing. The last I heard and that was a good while back they were still  on leave with pay and they said they had never been told why they were on leave.  If anything else came out on this I missed it. As I remember this came out around second week of November. I am amazed that if they did anything serious they have not been terminated. Possibly Auburn thinks they did something but can't prove it so they are paying them so if it turns out Auburn was wrong they can't be sued. The NCAA has ruled on both Wiley and Sullivan I am amazed that Auburn has not ruled on Sullivan and VerHulst as it has been four months.

We also have not heard from Auburn on Bruce Pearl and whether he will be back next year. If Sullivan and VerHulst have done something major that might impact the decision on Pearl if not then I am at a loss as to what is taking so long with Sullivan VerHulst and Pearl.

3 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I’m still not sure I understand- 

Isn’t the case basically whether Purifoy took money or not? If so, I’m not sure I understand why he is still allowed to play college basketball at all if he did in fact do this... 

If he accepted money, he is a professional athlete, and thus cannot play college basketball. If he didn’t, there should be no suspension at all. Why is there an “in between” ruling here? This seems like black and white to me- if you did it, you can’t play, but if you didn’t, you can. 

What am I missing?...

That's not at all true.  There are countless cases of players getting amounts of money and being told to pay it back, suspended for a few games, and return to play.  It's happened with almost every collegiate sport. 

I hope it works out for Wiley to come back for 2018-19. Having both of these young men and a healed Meclamore (not sure of the spelling) will have us sitting pretty. We will have a point to prove and should show all of the naysayers we are open for business and ready to close the deal that we did not find a way for.

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Isn't yellow the sarcasm color?

I don't feel like one of the darlings.  Maybe as long as we don't beat bama too often we'll be left alone.

As for the kid, I agree that it sucks to be out 2 out of 3 seasons.  But, sadly,  he can blame Mama for this past missed year.

Yes correct we are not a blue blood but we are not exactly ole miss either in football. That is exactly what we are like in basketball though. We would be protected more in football but def not as much as the blue bloods.

BTW ... the articles about CBP and Leath talking ... why would it not be CBP and our new athletic director?

I still can’t help but feel Leath made this unnecessarily personal towards CBP (those idiotic emails he sent random fans)  plus some other bad thoughts I have.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yes correct we are not a blue blood but we are not exactly ole miss either in football. That is exactly what we are like in basketball though. We would be protected more in football but def not as much as the blue bloods.

We are like the darlings in a sense in football. The Darlings didn't show up every week but when they did it was always memorable. We don't receive top billing but we are capable of stealing the spotlight from those who do. I do believe Bruce will make us consistently relevant in March. 

1Darlings.jpg

11 hours ago, gr82be said:

We are like the darlings in a sense in football. The Darlings didn't show up every week but when they did it was always memorable. We don't receive top billing but we are capable of stealing the spotlight from those who do. I do believe Bruce will make us consistently relevant in March. 

1Darlings.jpg

Doo-ley slippin up the holler. Yeah

On 3/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, Proud Tiger said:

It will be interesting to see how the picture unfolds with Wiley. Hope he comes back. I saw on ESPN that bama hotshot Sexton is rated the #9 pick in the pro draft if he decides to go. Hope he goes.

No reason at all for him to come back. It's the turds and all but kid carried that team. 

20 hours ago, gr82be said:

1Darlings.jpg

That Charlene............. what a looker..................................

Glad he's coming back. I expect Wiley will be back as well. He needs some work on some things besides dunking from three feet from the basket. 

However I could see Mustapha Heron gone for sure.

Archived