Visitors list for the weekend looking great!

toddc

Looking like new coach with Mississippi ties could pay dividends too

3 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Gotta do something this year, especially since we could possibly loose Davidson and Brown if they have great years.  

Totally agree. Brown is a sure bet to have that stellar year and go for the draft and Davidson is a maybe...hopefully he bounces back majorly from his injuries which I believe that he will.

Any news been released about the weekend recruiting?

16 hours ago, toddc said:

Any news been released about the weekend recruiting?

Not yet but I will be sure to post when it comes out.

Early reports said that Nathan Pickering & Nakobe Dean didn’t show up. That’s the 2nd time for Pickering which isn’t a good sign. 

Jaren Handy tweeted that he loved Coach Garner, so that’s certainly a positive.

Son of former NFL standout recaps Auburn visit

Kaiir Elam comes from an NFL family.

His father, Abe Elam, played for the Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Cleveland Browns after his college career at Notre Dame. Elam’s uncle, Matt Elam, was a standout at Florida before moving on to the league.

The youngest is now in the spotlight with offers from Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, N.C. State, Miami, Michigan and others. Elam made a recent Southeast round trip to Auburn, Georgia, N.C. State and Clemson.

His Auburn visit overlapped with a practice during which he recorded multiple pages of notes on a notepad.

“I was taking notes, trying to get better, seeing what college guys do and try to implement it into my game. I’m just trying to be a student of the game,” Elam said. “I thought it was pretty cool, better than I expected. Nice facilities.”

Elam isn’t in a rush to make a decision, but he isn’t setting any kind of timetable.

He said he could narrow his choices in the coming months, or he could just commit at any given point. Elam said he’d “definitely” return to the Plains before making a final decision.

If Auburn has one thing in its favor, it’s how the coaches treated him on his initial trip.

“Just the coaches. The coaches were real. They weren’t artificial. They only told me the truth,” Elam said.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Son of former NFL standout recaps Auburn visit

Kaiir Elam comes from an NFL family.

His father, Abe Elam, played for the Dallas Cowboys, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Cleveland Browns after his college career at Notre Dame. Elam’s uncle, Matt Elam, was a standout at Florida before moving on to the league.

The youngest is now in the spotlight with offers from Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Clemson, N.C. State, Miami, Michigan and others. Elam made a recent Southeast round trip to Auburn, Georgia, N.C. State and Clemson.

His Auburn visit overlapped with a practice during which he recorded multiple pages of notes on a notepad.

“I was taking notes, trying to get better, seeing what college guys do and try to implement it into my game. I’m just trying to be a student of the game,” Elam said. “I thought it was pretty cool, better than I expected. Nice facilities.”

Elam isn’t in a rush to make a decision, but he isn’t setting any kind of timetable.

He said he could narrow his choices in the coming months, or he could just commit at any given point. Elam said he’d “definitely” return to the Plains before making a final decision.

If Auburn has one thing in its favor, it’s how the coaches treated him on his initial trip.

“Just the coaches. The coaches were real. They weren’t artificial. They only told me the truth,” Elam said.

Position?

Wish I had a dollar for every time a recruit said "better than I expected" after visiting Auburn. Sure we're always in the negative recruiting crosshairs of some butt hurt SEC school but I read about us getting that surprised reaction from first time visitors more than every other college combined. 

17 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Wish I had a dollar for every time a recruit said "better than I expected" after visiting Auburn. Sure we're always in the negative recruiting crosshairs of some butt hurt SEC school but I read about us getting that surprised reaction from first time visitors more than every other college combined. 

It's because we don't have the pedigree to go along with the crowd we run with. As much as some of the old guard hate it, we're one of the few schools who can always hold our own when the cleats hit the turf, and, just to grate on them just a little more, we have always done it our way and not theirs. Still, until you pay attention, you don't expect to see a school that half the country thinks is in Georgia compete with the schools who's gear is featured in every sporting goods store, coast-to-coast.

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It's because we don't have the pedigree to go along with the crowd we run with. As much as some of the old guard hate it, we're one of the few schools who can always hold our own when the cleats hit the turf, and, just to grate on them just a little more, we have always done it our way and not theirs. Still, until you pay attention, you don't expect to see a school that half the country thinks is in Georgia compete with the schools who's gear is featured in every sporting goods store, coast-to-coast.

You can say that again.  It seems like everywhere I go I see gear for New Mexico State football.  It’s getting pretty old...

3 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

We do have the pedigree. We have more pedigree than the fighting bowl cuts of thuga U. What we do not have is the advantage of being the state school and all the built in advantages that come with it. There is not a army of supporters in Alabama or georgia all working towards 1 common goal which is to get every elite recruit to go to georgia or bama. Rarely does a recruit get raised from birth to his recruitment being a Auburn fan unless they have some tie to the school in some direct way. Ryan Pugh said it best one time. The only people who are Auburn fans are the ones who went to school there or are related to people who went to school at Auburn (obviously this is not always the case 100% but you know what he meant.). Being the non state school means we have less casual fans than georgia and bama fans. We do not have strength in numbers. But what we do have is no fan base is as loyal and ardent as ours.

21 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

This is so true brother. I think a lot of it has to do with we are not the "cool school" in recruiting. The Auburn brand is not along the lines of THE U and FSU when they are rolling. In the media those are 2 of the cool schools that recruits are always enamored and infatuated with. We do not market ourselves like bama or georgia.  Even if we tried we would not do it as well as those schools plus LSU  who are our rivals. We preach family and atmosphere among other things and it works for us. Especially ever since chizik became head coach. Our recruiting has never been better over such a long period of time. We do have a ceiling that those other schools have for all the reasons I stated above. Though I will admit it costs us some elite recruits who just do not "get" Auburn. Usually it is the ones who have a lot of swagger and are looking for a college as just a means to get to the NFL and what school best sells them on that. That is just not AU.  Justyn Ross comes to mind out of recent guys. He came to Auburn more than any recruit honestly last cycle but you never got the feeling he understood Auburn and what it was all about and what makes it so special. The family and atmosphere just did not resonate with him. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

We do have the pedigree. We have more pedigree than the fighting bowl cuts of thuga U. What we do not have is the advantage of being the state school and all the built in advantages that come with it. There is not a army of supporters in Alabama or georgia all working towards 1 common goal which is to get every elite recruit to go to georgia or bama. Rarely does a recruit get raised from birth to his recruitment being a Auburn fan unless they have some tie to the school in some direct way. Ryan Pugh said it best one time. The only people who are Auburn fans are the ones who went to school there or are related to people who went to school at Auburn (obviously this is not always the case 100% but you know what he meant.). Being the non state schools means we have less casual fans than georgia and bama fans.

When I'm talking pedigree, I'm talking bama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame. I'm talking about the schools where I walk into a sporting goods store in Kansas and still see their gear on the shelves (do you know how hard it is to find an Auburn shirt in Kansas?). I'm talking about the schools who's names anyone you ask about the history of college football rattles off. 

I love Auburn, and we've done some great things on the football field, but let's face it Mac, there are still A LOT of people in the US who, when you mention Auburn either say "Who?" or "Isn't that in Georgia?" or if they have heard of us it's because "Didn't Bo Jackson go there?". To expand on what Mr. Pugh put so eloquently, the only people who even really know anything about Auburn are people who went there or know people who went there.

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

You can say that again.  It seems like everywhere I go I see gear for New Mexico State football.  It’s getting pretty old...

I think you mean New Mexico.......... NMS sucks

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

When I'm talking pedigree, I'm talking bama, Michigan, Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame. I'm talking about the schools where I walk into a sporting goods store in Kansas and still see their gear on the shelves (do you know how hard it is to find an Auburn shirt in Kansas?). I'm talking about the schools who's names anyone you ask about the history of college football rattles off. 

I love Auburn, and we've done some great things on the football field, but let's face it Mac, there are still A LOT of people in the US who, when you mention Auburn either say "Who?" or "Isn't that in Georgia?" or if they have heard of us it's because "Didn't Bo Jackson go there?". To expand on what Mr. Pugh put so eloquently, the only people who even really know anything about Auburn are people who went there or know people who went there.

ohhh so you meant blue bloods?! well why did you not say so? lol Pedigree and blue bloods are 2 totally different things! but Yes I agree with you. We are a top 10 program all time but we def are not in the elite club of blue bloods. We are always right on the outside looking in. It burns me up all the time because I want to get to that cache and status. But alas it has alluded us. One day I hope we live to see it. It is the only thing we have not achieved honestly when it comes to our football program.

28 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I think you mean New Mexico.......... NMS sucks

Those are fightin’ words.  I might have to make a phone call into the Paul Finebaum Show for that comment. 

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Those are fightin’ words.  I might have to make a phone call into the Paul Finebaum Show for that comment. 

Lobos rule baby....................................... aggies well...... are just aggies

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This is so true brother. I think a lot of it has to do with we are not the "cool school" in recruiting. The Auburn brand is not along the lines of THE U and FSU when they are rolling. In the media those are 2 of the cool schools that recruits are always enamored and infatuated with. We do not market ourselves like bama or georgia.  Even if we tried we would not do it as well as those schools plus LSU  who are our rivals. We preach family and atmosphere among other things and it works for us. Especially ever since chizik became head coach. Our recruiting has never been better over such a long period of time. We do have a ceiling that those other schools have for all the reasons I stated above. Though I will admit it costs us some elite recruits who just do not "get" Auburn. Usually it is the ones who have a lot of swagger and are looking for a college as just a means to get to the NFL and what school best sells them on that. That is just not AU.  Justyn Ross comes to mind out of recent guys. He came to Auburn more than any recruit honestly last cycle but you never got the feeling he understood Auburn and what it was all about and what makes it so special. The family and atmosphere just did not resonate with him. 

33F80CB2-C6F8-421E-A40A-7FB4DC2A752B.gif

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

We do have the pedigree. We have more pedigree than the fighting bowl cuts of thuga U. What we do not have is the advantage of being the state school and all the built in advantages that come with it. There is not a army of supporters in Alabama or georgia all working towards 1 common goal which is to get every elite recruit to go to georgia or bama. Rarely does a recruit get raised from birth to his recruitment being a Auburn fan unless they have some tie to the school in some direct way. Ryan Pugh said it best one time. The only people who are Auburn fans are the ones who went to school there or are related to people who went to school at Auburn (obviously this is not always the case 100% but you know what he meant.). Being the non state school means we have less casual fans than georgia and bama fans. We do not have strength in numbers. But what we do have is no fan base is as loyal and ardent as ours.

C24389B3-A11E-4F72-B967-20EEE1F284C6.gif

Your eloquence without using gifs or exclamation points brings a tear to my eye ?

2 hours ago, fredst said:

C24389B3-A11E-4F72-B967-20EEE1F284C6.gif

Your eloquence without using gifs or exclamation points brings a tear to my eye ?

I have been missing you brother!!!! Good to get the band back together! WOOOO!!!!!........ Not gonna lie the lesbian PE teacher look alike (stole that from the rant I will admit lol) Stole a lot of my enthusiasm and affinity for GIFs with how recruiting ended this past cycle. It hit muhhhh hard fam.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

ohhh so you meant blue bloods?! well why did you not say so? lol Pedigree and blue bloods are 2 totally different things! but Yes I agree with you. We are a top 10 program all time but we def are not in the elite club of blue bloods. We are always right on the outside looking in. It burns me up all the time because I want to get to that cache and status. But alas it has alluded us. One day I hope we live to see it. It is the only thing we have not achieved honestly when it comes to our football program.

What sucks is that only some of it can be explained away by the advantages of the state schools or getting screwed/bad timing ('83, '93, '04, some of the shine being taken off '10). No way we "should" have a winning record against bama the last 10 years, but we've conceded too many blowouts. We should absolutely have a winning record over uga the last 10 years, but it's quite the opposite. No way 2008 or 2011-2012 should have ever happened at Auburn. No way we should have gone 2 seasons without a viable QB like we did in '15-'16.

We've got to do better. We'll never be on equal footing with the true blue bloods, but we should at least get invited to the party. 

Archived