**2018 Masters Tournament Thread**

NolaAuTiger

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Speith at 9 under for the day thus far is quite impressive.

He just missed on catching Reed assuming no collapsd. ‘Twas a good round.

Finishing 8 under for the day quite nice.........not out of it yet.........Reed vs Fowler could possibly have a bad hole or 2.

Tense finish.....so great golf by Speith and Fowler....but Reed managed to make the putts he had to make at the end....

I just love these majors....and the Ryder Cup....about the only golf worth watching on TV in my view....but these tournaments rarely disappoint. 

35 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Finishing 8 under for the day quite nice.........not out of it yet.........Reed vs Fowler could possibly have a bad hole or 2.

Reed held on to the lead all day and won. Pretty impressive.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Reed held on to the lead all day and won. Pretty impressive.

Yep...he was likely feeling the heat when Rahm, Speith and Fowler were turning out birdies....but did what needed doing.....

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Yep...he was likely feeling the heat when Rahm, Speith and Fowler were turning out birdies....but did what needed doing.....

I was not keeping up with the scores at the end...lost track of how much lead Reed had....thought coming to 18 that he had 2 shots on Fowler.....didn't realize he was up by one and had to make that last putt to win....was thinking he could get down in two and still win.   Gives me more respect for what he did there.

And I hate it for Rory....man he could not make those short putts....played great golf tee to green but I lost track of how many 6-10 footers he missed today....which was the difference in the championship. ....

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

was not keeping up with the scores at the end...lost track of how much lead Reed had....thought coming to 18 that he had 2 shots on Fowler.....didn't realize he was up by one and had to make that last putt to win.

Yep. Fowler made it very close.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

And I hate it for Rory....man he could not make those short putts....played great golf tee to green but I lost track of how many 6-10 footers he missed today....which was the difference in the championship. ....

Fowler and Spieth both missed a couple putts down the stretch that also could’ve been the difference. Mcleroy pretty much had an off day and nothing went well for him. Spieth specifically missed about a 15 foot putt and later about an eight foot putt after tying at -14 with Reed. If he made one or both of those, there is no telling if the outcome would change or not, but the possibility would be there.

I have no idea what is true and what isn't with Reed.  If he indeed does have an alienating personality that could explain former teammates accusations.  He drank too much in college?  Oh no!!  Cheating during a qualifying round?  How?  There are other people and other players around.  I think he just pisses people off with his attitude.  

20 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I have no idea what is true and what isn't with Reed.  If he indeed does have an alienating personality that could explain former teammates accusations.  He drank too much in college?  Oh no!!  Cheating during a qualifying round?  How?  There are other people and other players around.  I think he just pisses people off with his attitude.  

21 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think he just pisses people off with his attitude.  

I can see that pretty easily from watching him in match play especially but he got a pretty good greeting from Fowler and some of the other players at the end of the round today so who knows?     I read about how Bubba Watson is so disliked but seems like a pretty ordinary guy to me so I  don't know.  

As for Reed, I just know that the guy can play the game and when Ryder cup time comes, I hope he is on the US side because he is a deadly competitor in that format. 

23 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Nobody has claimed drinking was the reason he was dismissed from UGA other than Reed himself. I’m also not sure why people bring up “well that was in college” like that’s such a distant memory to a young professional. A fairly detailed account from a former teammate at Augusta

http://www.weiunderpar.com/2015/03/12/a-former-teammate-speaks-out-on-patrick-reeds-suspension-at-augusta-state/

A much longer editorial with more detail:

https://deadspin.com/how-patrick-reed-became-golfs-latest-villian-1682766305/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Most of the stuff goes back to his teens but as Cam can tell you, some things from your youth are never forgotten...or forgiven 

Good link Jeff......

Lol my mother always told me, "Walk a straight line as people tend to remember the worst things you do".............tends to be true.

19 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Lol my mother always told me, "Walk a straight line as people tend to remember the worst things you do".............tends to be true.

This is very true. 

Having parents born in 1920's I was blessed with a wealth of useful advice(Like watching an episode of Maverick, "My pappy always said")?

Maybe I shouldn't have taken the, "Clean your plate" quite so literally.? 

I personally like the guy. I like a fiery competitor. Love the fact that he is a proud American and lives to play in the Ryder and Presidents Cup. The only thing I see is he can be more fan friendly during the tournament. Congrats Patrick Reed. And thank you Spieth and Fowler for the show you put on Sunday. Was glued to the tv.

The Morning Drive on the Golf Channel had a good interview with Josh Gregory.  He was Reed's coach at ASU and is currently Reed's Performance Coach (whatever that is).  He had nothing but good things to say.  If there was a serious problem with Reed at ASU, I don't think Gregory would still be working with Reed.  The video should be available soon. 

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I personally like the guy. I like a fiery competitor. Love the fact that he is a proud American and lives to play in the Ryder and Presidents Cup. The only thing I see is he can be more fan friendly during the tournament. Congrats Patrick Reed. And thank you Spieth and Fowler for the show you put on Sunday. Was glued to the tv.

I literally cant imagine how they play at that level..............That many fans and always some a** hat or hats that refuse to silence their phone.

3 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

I literally cant imagine how they play at that level..............That many fans and always some a** hat or hats that refuse to silence their phone.

How about the number of times they are on their backswing, or in the middle of striking a putt when a loud roar happens from another hole? That would probably distract me worse than anything.    Does it just annoy anybody else that every time Tiger comes to a tee box or a green that 20 or more people feel the necessary urge to just yell "Ti-ger" at the top of their lungs? It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.

4 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

How about the number of times they are on their backswing, or in the middle of striking a putt when a loud roar happens from another hole? That would probably distract me worse than anything.    Does it just annoy anybody else that every time Tiger comes to a tee box or a green that 20 or more people feel the necessary urge to just yell "Ti-ger" at the top of their lungs? It's like fingernails on the chalkboard to me.

:)  At least they no longer scream "go in the hole" when he hits his tee shot on a 575 par 5....    Fan enthusiasm is a mixed bag on the golf course....evolving I guess if you consider what they do in Az at that tournament. ....but Masters is still "old school" and I understand they will still toss you for having a cell phone out or taking pictures. .  

PS....I did miss hearing the occasional "War Eagle" over the weekend when Dufner failed to qualify. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

:)  At least they no longer scream "go in the hole" when he hits his tee shot on a 575 par 5....    Fan enthusiasm is a mixed bag on the golf course....evolving I guess if you consider what they do in Az at that tournament. ....but Masters is still "old school" and I understand they will still toss you for having a cell phone out or taking pictures. .  

Yeah I figure the ones that do it probably have a friend or relative taping the tv broadcast and when they are watching it together later, they say did you hear that person yelling that out; that was me. I just hope all the sheep who slobber all over Tiger don't believe he really cares about them bc he don't.

Just now, ArgoEagle said:

Yeah I figure the ones that do it probably have a friend or relative taping the tv broadcast and when they are watching it together later, they say did you hear that person yelling that out; that was me. I just hope all the sheep who slobber all over Tiger don't believe he really cares about them bc he don't.

I'm guessing most of those guys are annoyed by it....including Tiger....they try to be 100% into focus which is why most of them don't even acknowledge the patrons. 

I recall back in the day when I was there and standing alongside the path from 14 to 15.  Nicklaus finished 14 and as he walked along toward the next tee box he never even glanced at anyone in the cheering crowd....just stared straight ahead despite the shouts and hand waving....keeping himself in the moment. Mickleson seems to be the exception. 

49 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Having parents born in 1920's I was blessed with a wealth of useful advice(Like watching an episode of Maverick, "My pappy always said")?

Maybe I shouldn't have taken the, "Clean your plate" quite so literally.? 

Bret or Bart

A very good tournament but not a great one imo. Masters is usually the best major for suspense. Jordan shooting 64 on a Sunday was unreal. Gotta give it to Reed not many people care for him but he pulled it thru. Someday maybe Rickie will win a major. Well on to the next major........................................

This has been a really great thread nice to read all the personal stories from you guys. I could write a frickin book on my golf experience.............if I could remember them;D

Actually I do remember most even my first shot on a real hole on a golf course Twin Pines Golf Course in Littleville, Al. little nine hole course at the time. Still there but they made it into 18 holes nows.

Archived