**2018 Masters Tournament Thread**

NolaAuTiger

12 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's why they switched the 9s. Originally, what we think of as the back 9, was actually the front!

Thanks....we did that at our course a few years ago....a little Donald Ross design....some people fought the change as if we were spitting on Mr. Ross's grave but after a few years of "discussion" we did it.....and everyone pretty much agrees that it provided a better finish than the golf course genius had set up. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

That's why they switched the 9s. Originally, what we think of as the back 9, was actually the front!

Not many golfers realize that you know your Masters history.....................for now your on my good list.......:poke:

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Not many golfers realize that you know your Masters history.....................for now your on my good list.......:poke:

I just wish my golfing skill was proportional to may passion for it. First round of the year on Sunday and didn't break 100. Woof. 

35 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I just wish my golfing skill was proportional to may passion for it. First round of the year on Sunday and didn't break 100. Woof. 

I understand I was very fortunate to be fairly good at golf from a young age. Golf got me more interviews/promotions then my actual work skills. :cool:  Can't tell you how many CEO's of companies I worked for I played with at there member/guest.

I do miss it since I can't play anymore but I still have my first set of clubs my dad purchased for me as well as my 45 putters. 

As for playing bad on Sunday never fear next time will be better.

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I understand I was very fortunate to be fairly good at golf from a young age. Golf got me more interviews/promotions then my actual work skills. :cool:  Can't tell you how many CEO's of companies I worked for I played with at there member/guest.

I do miss it since I can't play anymore but I still have my first set of clubs my dad purchased for me as well as my 45 putters. 

As for playing bad on Sunday never fear next time will be better.

Golf is one of the best networking tools there is. I'm glad my dad got me into it at a young age. Oh and, you and I might need to talk about those 45 putters sometime, you know, just in case you want to unload any of them ;)

As for the golf, you're right. Worst part is that I was striping them on the range the day before. Think I know what I need to work on, and luckily I think I can get a handle on it. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Golf is one of the best networking tools there is. I'm glad my dad got me into it at a young age. Oh and, you and I might need to talk about those 45 putters sometime, you know, just in case you want to unload any of them ;)

As for the golf, you're right. Worst part is that I was striping them on the range the day before. Think I know what I need to work on, and luckily I think I can get a handle on it. 

Will keep it in mind and I serious.................................keep working on it

Never was a huge Tiger fan......mad respect for his skills.......

I saw the video of his arrest and was heart broken. I am an actual fan now as I love to see people that hit a low in life make a positive comeback.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Same here...............lol got in trouble a few times following the cigar smoke to the poker game ...shhhhhhhh

I can still smell the new carpet smell (1982) when first entering club house and can still taste the club sandwich, fries, and mr.pibb dad would always purchase for me..........good times

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

@NolaAuTiger mentioned it earlier, but Tiger did eagle 13 and 15 during his 9-hole round this morning. Now, that doesn't mean anything, but you've got to shoot well under par on the par 5s to win, so its a good sign. He played with Phil this morning (imagine that), and word has it they teamed up against Thomas Pieters and Fred Couples. Apparently, Tiger and Phil opened up a can of whoop-ass.

Phil stated Tiger was playing really good today. Love to see him there on Sunday. It would be great for the game. And if Phil was beside him, shut up. I'll go tee one up in the dark!

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

How are those not in a museum?!  It's not like there are many full golf club sets around from the game's creation.  :)

14 hours ago, Barnacle said:

What ya shoot on the back 9.........:beer2:^-^

15 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I'm still trying to shoot my age....hoping I don't have to live to age 100 to do it ..... or then again..:-\   guess that might be OK..

I've been playing golf for 50 years and keep thinking.....after all that time, I should be better than I am.   Seems this is a game where experience is not necessarily an indicator of success.    Got a birthday pretty soon though......hoping that will help my chances this year. 

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I'm still trying to shoot my age....hoping I don't have to live to age 100 to do it ..... or then again..:-\   guess that might be OK..

I've been playing golf for 50 years and keep thinking.....after all that time, I should be better than I am.   Seems this is a game where experience is not necessarily an indicator of success.    Got a birthday pretty soon though......hoping that will help my chances this year. 

It's a frustrating game. I always have to remind myself that I'm not good enough to get mad. Most of the guys that I know who are really good at golf played a lot when they were younger. I played a decent amount, but I was usually consumed year round with other sports. I always relied upon my athleticism to play golf. The guys who dedicated more time to it we're able to develop a real feel for the game, especially the short game. 

So, it's not uncommon for me to go and shoot 100. I typically shoot around 90. But I could go play tomorrow and shoot 85. I just don't play enough to have any real consistency, and I don't have that feel and muscle memory that some other people have from playing a lot earlier in life. Obviously, that's something I think you can develop at almost any point in life. You just need to spend a lot of time on the golf course, and that's not a luxury that many people have.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I flirted with it, but realized I don't have the temperament for it at that stage in my life. Of course, I basically tried to teach myself and that was really dumb. Now I don't have time to dedicate to learning. But I absolutely understand the addiction. Amazing sport. 

Maybe when the nest is emptied...

54 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It's a frustrating game. I always have to remind myself that I'm not good enough to get mad. Most of the guys that I know who are really good at golf played a lot when they were younger. I played a decent amount, but I was usually consumed year round with other sports. I always relied upon my athleticism to play golf. The guys who dedicated more time to it we're able to develop a real feel for the game, especially the short game. 

So, it's not uncommon for me to go and shoot 100. I typically shoot around 90. But I could go play tomorrow and shoot 85. I just don't play enough to have any real consistency, and I don't have that feel and muscle memory that some other people have from playing a lot earlier in life. Obviously, that's something I think you can develop at almost any point in life. You just need to spend a lot of time on the golf course, and that's not a luxury that many people have.

Golf is a wonderful sport. It can teach you so much......it will humble you, it will frustrate you and it will force you to be patience if you take it serious. Starting and playing young is a huge advantage especially taking lessons from a good teaching pro which I was lucky enough to do. Golf has meant so much to me in my life its hard to explain. I could talk all day about golf

17 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Golf is a wonderful sport. It can teach you so much......it will humble you, it will frustrate you and it will force you to be patience if you take it serious. Starting and playing young is a huge advantage especially taking lessons from a good teaching pro which I was lucky enough to do. Golf has meant so much to me in my life its hard to explain. I could talk all day about golf

I've only been playing for a little over two years. Wish my parents put clubs in my hands when I was little, but I loved baseball too much - that's why I have quite the impressive slice when using driver :). But its fun to "learn" a new sport as an adult. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

I'm like this too.  Played everything as a kid, including golf and definitely rely on athleticism as I've only had one real lesson my entire life.  I've gotten to where I'm mad if I don't break 90, but I can't seem to break the 80 barrier at all.  Been in great position once or twice to shoot 78/79, but couldn't pull it off.

The best 92 I've ever shot was at Chambers Bay, where they played the 2015 U.S. Open.  No mulligans, no gimmicks, played from the next to last set of tees, and went 51 on the front, 41 on the back.  First seven holes were atrocious.  Going to play Sawgrass around Christmas this year and I can't wait.

24 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm like this too.  Played everything as a kid, including golf and definitely rely on athleticism as I've only had one real lesson my entire life.  I've gotten to where I'm mad if I don't break 90, but I can't seem to break the 80 barrier at all.  Been in great position once or twice to shoot 78/79, but couldn't pull it off.

The best 92 I've ever shot was at Chambers Bay, where they played the 2015 U.S. Open.  No mulligans, no gimmicks, played from the next to last set of tees, and went 51 on the front, 41 on the back.  First seven holes were atrocious.  Going to play Sawgrass around Christmas this year and I can't wait.

You would enjoy the Zurich course. It's the only PGA course I have played. Fun layout. 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I've only been playing for a little over two years. Wish my parents put clubs in my hands when I was little, but I loved baseball too much - that's why I have quite the impressive slice when using driver :). But its fun to "learn" a new sport as an adult. 

Now that's an attitude I don't hear offend when it comes to golf. Its extremely hard to pick up as an adult. Good for you. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you can shoot 41 on the back at Chambers Bay playing the club tees you will break 80....I would make a bet on it. Should be interesting to see what you shoot on Sawgrass which as you know it nothing like Chambers.... two different worlds. Also pray the wind is not to bad when playing Sawgrass. Didn't you say you were taking your Mom to play Sawgrass? 

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

If you can shoot 41 on the back at Chambers Bay playing the club tees you will break 80....I would make a bet on it. Should be interesting to see what you shoot on Sawgrass which as you know it nothing like Chambers.... two different worlds. Also pray the wind is not to bad when playing Sawgrass. Didn't you say you were taking your Mom to play Sawgrass? 

I am taking her, but she doesn't know it yet.  We're going to play Sawgrass and the King/Bear course at the World Golf Village.  Gonna check out the Hall of Fame too.  Mom is 59 this year and plays twice a week.  She still shoots in the 80s pretty consistently from the ladies tees and can hit a drive 200 and straight nearly every time.  She's a hell of a scramble partner :)

What made Chambers so hard was the combination of the hard ground and the walk.  It's an exhausting walk to make for 18 holes.  Over 650 feet of elevation changes throughout the course.  They don't even give you the option for a cart unless you have an ADA card or are over 65.

Very exciting news. Augusta National just announced that in 2019, they will host the inaugural Augusta Women's National Amateur Championship. The tournament will take place the weekend before the Masters, with the final round being played at Augusta National on Saturday. This is very exciting.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2018-04-04/2018-04-04_chairman_fred_ridley_announces_augusta_national_womens_amateur_championship.html?promo=hero_articles_Women’sAmateurChampionshipAnnounced

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Same here when I was able to play (100,90,85)............Played some with Jimmy Green, his dad was our golf pro. Jimmy was 72 consistently. 

Well just got back from a quick 9 holes today....41 and only lost a dollar .....one guy had 4 birdies...he was playing from the close tees  which is about 2000 yards on the front....but he's 89 and has earned the right.....and you still have to get the ball into the cup.  

Started playing while in grad school at AU my last quarter and first time I played a full round was at Saugahatchee.   Off and on throughout my life depending on kids things and work....but now play 2 or 3 days a week, weather permitting and have done so for past 18 years.......mostly with the same group of guys and we have grown old together....on the golf course. :)

Archived