Marc Thiessen: No, liberals don't hate America. And conservatives are not racists

AuburnNTexas

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/21/marc-thiessen-no-liberals-dont-hate-america-and-conservatives-are-not-racists.html

I wish we had more editorials of this type. To often on both the left and the right people demonize people they disagree with.  I have good friends who are dyed in the wool left leaning Democrats and others who are dyed in the wool right leaning Republicans. There is no doubt in my mind that all of these friends love this country and love all the different people of this country. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree

Sadly the days when we actually thought and respected the opinions of others may be dying away. We as a people are more easily triggered, more easily angered than ever. My one consoling thought in this is nothing stays the same long. Humans tire easily of high emotional rantings. It is sad what we see today. We don’t listen to people anymore. We as a nation invest more time in memorizing nonsensical talking pints than in real deep thought. 

Tons people say things on Social media they would never say face to face. 

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Sadly the days when we actually thought and respected the opinions of others may be dying away. We as a people are more easily triggered, more easily angered than ever. My one consoling thought in this is nothing stays the same long. Humans tire easily of high emotional rantings. It is sad what we see today. We don’t listen to people anymore. We as a nation invest more time in memorizing nonsensical talking pints than in real deep thought. 

But how do you reintroduce rationality and reasonableness once it’s gone? 

4 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/03/21/marc-thiessen-no-liberals-dont-hate-america-and-conservatives-are-not-racists.html

I wish we had more editorials of this type. To often on both the left and the right people demonize people they disagree with.  I have good friends who are dyed in the wool left leaning Democrats and others who are dyed in the wool right leaning Republicans. There is no doubt in my mind that all of these friends love this country and love all the different people of this country. Sometimes we just have to agree to disagree

The parties need a Scalia-Ginsburg type of relationship. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Tons people say things on Social media they would never say face to face. 

I was more thinking about how many people who weren’t interested or educated in politics that are now experts on one side or the other. It has increased my interest but not educated me. Polarization is one thing but pure idiocy is just so glaring on Facebook it makes me wonder. 

4 hours ago, alexava said:

How much of the polarization do you think is linked to social media?

A lot IMHO but the changing attitudes and being PC also weigh in. Here is an example of how crazy things can get.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/19/holy-cross-drops-knight-mascot-over-ties-religious/

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

A lot IMHO but the changing attitudes and being PC also weigh in. Here is an example of how crazy things can get.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/mar/19/holy-cross-drops-knight-mascot-over-ties-religious/

Well, this is probably not a bad idea. Was it influenced from other religions or seen as a sore from those within. I honestly thought the school was in Indiana.

Point is these changing of mascots due to insensitivity(or calls for changes) have been happening well before social media. I never even heard of this place.

11 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

The parties need a Scalia-Ginsburg type of relationship. 

So true. They set a fine example. They both stood solidly behind their very different views on what was best for the country from a legal standpoint but were the best of friends.

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I was more thinking about how many people who weren’t interested or educated in politics that are now experts on one side or the other. It has increased my interest but not educated me. Polarization is one thing but pure idiocy is just so glaring on Facebook it makes me wonder. 

Plenty of people have always been susceptible to bumper sticker logic, social media has only amplified it up to 11.  Another factor is the tendency of people to surround themselves with like-minded viewpoints.  These could be viewpoints on race, music, movies, politics, or whatever.  Social media has made it incredibly easy to create your own echo chamber.  When looking beyond social media, it requires effort to find news that does not come from a confirmation bias network.  The last step is merely a symptom of spending so much time in an echo chamber:  you begin to believe that opposing viewpoints are automatically wrong and evil.  Critical thinking requires way too much effort when you can so easily avoid it.

39 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Plenty of people have always been susceptible to bumper sticker logic, social media has only amplified it up to 11.  Another factor is the tendency of people to surround themselves with like-minded viewpoints.  These could be viewpoints on race, music, movies, politics, or whatever.  Social media has made it incredibly easy to create your own echo chamber.  When looking beyond social media, it requires effort to find news that does not come from a confirmation bias network.  The last step is merely a symptom of spending so much time in an echo chamber:  you begin to believe that opposing viewpoints are automatically wrong and evil.  Critical thinking requires way too much effort when you can so easily avoid it.

Why I don’t do social media. Most of the “news” I read comes from SCOTUS Blog - if that counts. IMO, it’s very unbiased.

About the only time I venture out into other media is to engage in a discussion on here. All fun though.

Archived