Chickens-Home-Roost-Etc....

DKW 86

7 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you guys ever get tired of being wrong? Or do you confuse it with “winning”?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1998/09/05/us/many-democrats-concur-with-rebuke-to-clinton.html

We are not wrong at all. That article is about decrying him AFTER the Monica incident. To equate that with the current Stormy Daniels one is simply erroneous. Had Trump done the act in office as a sitting president, then sure. Pretty sure Barnacle is referring to that which was known before the candidates were elected. Both democrats and republicans partook in a Faustian bargain. 

Always sucks when articles backfire on you. Perhaps you should look at more than just the title.

17 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

We are not wrong at all. That article is about decrying him AFTER the Monica incident. To equate that with the current Stormy Daniels one is simply erroneous. Had Trump done the act in office as a sitting president, then sure. Pretty sure Barnacle is referring to that which was known before the candidates were elected. Both democrats and republicans partook in a Faustian bargain. 

Always sucks when articles backfire on you. Perhaps you should look at more than just the title.

any port in a storm....

Guess he was hoping that nobody would actually look further than the title....but with NYT in particular, the titles can be very misleading and often it is necessary to read down several paragraphs to find the real story. 

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Do you guys ever get tired of being wrong? Or do you confuse it with “winning”?

https://mobile.nytimes.com/1998/09/05/us/many-democrats-concur-with-rebuke-to-clinton.html

Have I ever engaged you on this forum? When have you ever seen me post about being right or about winning? I don't think I've ever posted anything in support of a party or candidate on this forum, maybe except for Doug Jones. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else? So, slow your roll with the "you guys" chatter.

As to your link, I did not say that Democrats uniformly condoned or ignored Clinton's affair. Republicans don't uniformly condone Trump's behavior, either. Good for Joe Lieberman. Good for John McCain, too. My post again: 

22 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Pretty sure Dems reacted to Clinton's affair in much the same way that Repubs are reacting to Trump's. Private matter, not indicative of his ability to lead, etc. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-are-partisan-about-everything-even-sex-scandals/s

"Perhaps because Daniels is in the news, along with other alleged affairs by Trump, just 26 percent of Democrats (vs. 67 percent of Republicans) agreed that “an elected official who has committed an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public and professional life.

• In a CBS News poll from 1998, 77 percent of Democrats said that then-President Bill Clinton’s relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was “a private matter” having to do with Clinton’s “personal life.” Just 16 percent of Democrats considered the affair a “public matter having to do with Bill Clinton’s job as president.” In contrast, 64 percent of Republicans cast the situation as a public concern, while 28 percent said it was a private matter.
  • Also in 1998, Gallup asked people whether they needed to know if a presidential candidate has had an extramarital affair in order to evaluate him or her — 55 percent of Republicans said yes, compared with just 16 percent of Democrats.
  • An NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey from 1999 asked respondents whether they believed Juanita Broaddrick when she said that Clinton raped her while he was serving as Arkansas attorney general. Just 13 percent of Democrats said they believed Broaddrick; 68 percent of Democrats said they did not. In contrast, 52 percent of Republicans said they believed Broaddrick; 25 percent did not. This obviously isn’t a particularly analogous situation compared to Trump’s, but it speaks to the partisanship of the responses."

And to be clear, I'm not posting this to "win" or be "right." I posted my recollection and you decided to be a smartass. Now I'm just supporting my statement.

5 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Have I ever engaged you on this forum? When have you ever seen me post about being right or about winning? I don't think I've ever posted anything in support of a party or candidate on this forum, maybe except for Doug Jones. Maybe you are confusing me with someone else? So, slow your roll with the "you guys" chatter.

As to your link, I did not say that Democrats uniformly condoned or ignored Clinton's affair. Republicans don't uniformly condone Trump's behavior, either. Good for Joe Lieberman. Good for John McCain, too. My post again: 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/americans-are-partisan-about-everything-even-sex-scandals/s

"Perhaps because Daniels is in the news, along with other alleged affairs by Trump, just 26 percent of Democrats (vs. 67 percent of Republicans) agreed that “an elected official who has committed an immoral act in their personal life can still behave ethically and fulfill their duties in their public and professional life.

• In a CBS News poll from 1998, 77 percent of Democrats said that then-President Bill Clinton’s relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was “a private matter” having to do with Clinton’s “personal life.” Just 16 percent of Democrats considered the affair a “public matter having to do with Bill Clinton’s job as president.” In contrast, 64 percent of Republicans cast the situation as a public concern, while 28 percent said it was a private matter.
  • Also in 1998, Gallup asked people whether they needed to know if a presidential candidate has had an extramarital affair in order to evaluate him or her — 55 percent of Republicans said yes, compared with just 16 percent of Democrats.
  • An NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey from 1999 asked respondents whether they believed Juanita Broaddrick when she said that Clinton raped her while he was serving as Arkansas attorney general. Just 13 percent of Democrats said they believed Broaddrick; 68 percent of Democrats said they did not. In contrast, 52 percent of Republicans said they believed Broaddrick; 25 percent did not. This obviously isn’t a particularly analogous situation compared to Trump’s, but it speaks to the partisanship of the responses."

And to be clear, I'm not posting this to "win" or be "right." I posted my recollection and you decided to be a smartass. Now I'm just supporting my statement.

And I posted a link with multiple quotes of several elected Democrats criticizing Clinton’s conduct. There is no parallel. McCain is largely on an island. No, most didn’t think he should be removed for it. Read what I posted. You posted one of those reflexive false equivalency assertions that get thrown around without factual support.

30 minutes ago, AU64 said:

any port in a storm....

Guess he was hoping that nobody would actually look further than the title....but with NYT in particular, the titles can be very misleading and often it is necessary to read down several paragraphs to find the real story. 

You Cult45ers are a funny group. Trump gets criticized for very little by elected Republicans. 

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

And I posted a link with multiple quotes of several elected Democrats criticizing Clinton’s conduct. There is no parallel. McCain is largely on an island. No, most didn’t think he should be removed for it. Read what I posted. You posted one of those reflexive false equivalency assertions that get thrown around without factual support.

Fair enough on equivocating. Just to clarify, that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I'm not interested in defending or justifying the actions of the Republican Party, or any party for that matter.

The point was showing show how partisanship affects people's positions, and in line with some of what bird said earlier in the thread, how damaging it is when people flip their views based solely upon party. 

Archived