Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Terribly wrong but you are entitled to your opinion. I have a MS in Aerospace Engineering and worked for NASA for 36 years. Science has only strengthened my faith.

So my opinion is wrong and yours is right.....but there's no societal pressure to believe in Christianity.. Sure. Spoken like a true engineer.

I was discussing it mostly in a college classroom context. But I will say that if I had to choose between having faith that I came from some guy's rib or from a biological event then  I will choose what I know about the science of human biology every time. 

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

One of the definitions of religion is: 

a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith 

Defending the separation of church and state is not a religion. There is no organization. You are trying to turn a legal issue into something it's not.

This is weird. 

The only reason people are accepting or don't have a problem with it is because it promotes Christianity. If they were holding Islamic services or had a Muslim Chaplin, people would be upset. 

22 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Social pressure is not the same as force. And I did not say that it was a forgone conclusion. I said that it often is whether it is deliberate or not. As the poster here said...converting others to Christianity is part of their practices. 

I am not against athletes being religious. I just don't think baptisms should take place in a PUBLIC university facility. They should be done elsewhere. It's not that complicated. 

Is it OK with you for weddings to be done in a campus facility, where a pastor does it.?

5 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I find it very interesting that this thread has been allowed to continue. It sort of proves my point....

And your point was what?

4 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

This is weird. 

The only reason people are accepting or don't have a problem with it is because it promotes Christianity. If they were holding Islamic services or had a Muslim Chaplin, people would be upset. 

Now thats my only issue with it,if players were to practice thier islamic faith in the same manner would it be as accepted?

15 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

So my opinion is wrong and yours is right.....but there's no societal pressure to believe in Christianity.. Sure. Spoken like a true engineer.

I was discussing it mostly in a college classroom context. But I will say that if I had to choose between having faith that I came from some guy's rib or from a biological event then  I will choose what I know about the science of human biology every time. 

I didn't say you were wrong and I was right. But I will say nobody made snide/personal remarks until you got here.

2 minutes ago, Southwest said:

Now thats my only issue with it,if players were to practice thier islamic faith in the same manner would it be as accepted?

You and I both know the answer to that. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You and I both know the answer to that. 

What is the answer and how do you KNOW? I had a lot rather see a Muslim practicing his faith than being a terrorist.

46 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Spell evolution correctly.  Different species of animals have evolved through time to adapt to their environment and their adversities.  Again, evolution says nothing about the creation of man.

wde

Just to be clear, adaptation and evolution are two very different things.

1 minute ago, Proud Tiger said:

I didn't say you were wrong and I was right. But I will say nobody made snide remarks until you got here.

I was not making snide remarks. I was being truthful. You said I was terribly wrong. That's pretty clear as to your meaning.

Maybe you just need to scroll on by my posts.

2 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

What is the answer and how do you KNOW? I had a lot rather see a Muslim getting baptized than being a terrorist.

As opposed to being a Christian terrorist? 

There is so much wrong with your post....good grief. I am done replying to you.

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

I was not making snide remarks. I was being truthful. You said I was terribly wrong. That's pretty clear as to your meaning.

Maybe you just need to scroll on by my posts.

I take "typical engineer" as a personal/snide remark by someone who thinks they are better

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

As opposed to being a Christian terrorist? 

There is so much wrong with your post....good grief. I am done replying to you.

There is no such thing as a Christian "terrorist."

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's what YOU believe. And because you believe it you step on the rights of others who do not want to be involved in your particular brand of religion. Christianity , especially as it is being interpreted right now in America is not the only light of the world. Critical thinking skills could tell you that but Christianity is not welcoming to anything but pure faith and obedience. I have no issue with what you want to believe in your own life. But pushing it on to those who do not want to participate is not your job.

How exactly have I stepped on any bodies rights? How exactly have I pushed my belief? Being a Christian does not mean you throw the gospel in people’s faces nor does it mean pushing your agenda on folks. You know what Jesus did to show that he was a light? He went and healed people, he gave poor people food. The folks that he actually went and preached to was religious individuals in the synagogue. That is what people don’t realize! Jesus met people needs prior to even sharing the gospel. Once people’s needs were met , they couldn’t help but flock to him and once they were with him,  that is when he shared the good news. That is what being a light is all about. Not imposing your will on people. The funny thing is, you are so amped up for no reason, called out my critical thinking skills, but if someone came at you like you came at me (which I did a couple of months ago wrongly), you would be the first person screaming woe me and intolerance . 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

How exactly have I stepped on any bodies rights? How exactly have I pushed my belief? Being a Christian does not mean you throw the gospel in people’s faces nor does it mean pushing your agenda on folks. You know what Jesus did to show that he was a light? He went and healed people, he gave poor people food. The folks that he actually went and preached to was religious individuals in the synagogue. That is what people don’t realize! Jesus met people needs prior to even sharing the gospel. Once people’s needs were met , they couldn’t help but flock to him and once they were with him,  that is when he shared the good news. That is what being a light is all about. Not imposing your will on people. The funny thing is, you are so amped up for no reason, called out my critical thinking skills, but if someone came at you like you came at me (which I did a couple of months ago wrongly), you would be the first person screaming woe me and intolerance . 

Yes make it all about you and your personal beliefs. Certainly you can believe in anything you want.  But what you don't comprehend is that other people whose rights ARE EQUALLY AS IMPORTANT do not choose to believe what you do. I'm not sure why you find that so difficult. Just look at all the crap THE MAJORITY of posters are giving me for objecting to using PUBLIC facilities to perform a religious service. If you were honest you would admit that is EXACTLY the kind of societal pressure I am talking about. The fact that you can't see how many people might find doing a baptism in an athletic facility at a major PUBLIC university  objectionable does call into question critical thinking skills. I think it's fine to get baptized in a proper setting if that's what someone wants. 

I also don't think I asked for or need a Sunday school lesson.

30 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

There is no such thing as a Christian "terrorist."

Only because certain demographics arent deemed terrorist.Smh

55 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Defending the separation of church and state is not a religion. There is no organization. You are trying to turn a legal issue into something it's not.

And you are trying to turn a conversation into something it is not. You weren’t talking about the separation of church and state, you were talking about how atheism couldn’t be a “religion”.

14 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

It is not a religion. It is a political/legal philosophy.  

I don’t think atheism means what you think it means.

Merriam-Webster defines it as:

1a a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods 
b a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods 
2archaic  godlessness especially in conduct ungodlinesswickedness

Archived