Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i have not hate for you my brother nor anger. i type blunt and to the point because i am a bad typist and it often cmes out wrong. thanks for the apology because it show you to be a caring and probably quality person! but for the record i am a deeply troubled christian. i have been baptised and sang in church choir. i paid little heed to the tribal histories of the bible and try to concentrate on the words of jesus. that and a basic belief that love is the higher law.

And I the same for you. I am a follow of Christ but miss the mark so many times DAILY. Many times I read things in His word that is still hard for me to grasp. But I try to live by the words of Micah 6:8.... 

He has told you, O man, what is good;
   and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

And I the same for you. I am a follow of Christ but miss the mark so many times DAILY. Many times I read things in His word that is still hard for me to grasp. But I try to live by the words of Micah 6:8.... 

He has told you, O man, what is good;
   and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?

Galatians 6:9-10 is my life verse, “Don’t give up doing good works and at the proper time you will receive a reward”, paraphrasing!

The problem you run into at Auburn, and really at most any public university in the U.S., is that the majority of students are going to be Christian. If Auburn decides to allow athletes to perform religious ceremonies in the athletic facilities, then the vast majority - if not all of the requests will be from Christians. Even if the University isn't giving any preferential treatment to Christianity, you still have the appearance of preference based upon the demographics alone. So, while I don't think the Baptism showed any actual preference to Christianity per se, I can certainly accept how it gives the appearance of preference. 

9 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you would be right argo. i have issues with depression,suicide,ocd bipolar etc. some friends that never miss a day of church offered to lay hands on me and drive the demon out causing all my problems. i declined and they basically turned their back on me other than saying hello if we ran across each other.before that we were close and played  band together. and i was very respectful. the thing they did not realize is a close friend i grew up with is a preacher and he laid hands on me in the parking lot of the pizza hut in gadsden. it did absolutely nothing. ok? and this is a man/preacher i love and trust. i got tired of looking at the barrel of a gun too many nights trying to get my courage up to end the pain so no one can say i was not serious.

Well I genuinely feel for you brother. Not to try to 1 up you, or take away from your afflictions by sharing this: I have a wife and daughter who suffer from the same symptoms you just described. I suffer from Type 11 Diabetes myself. I am an avid church attender and hold many positions In my church. My wife and daughter only go to church sparingly with me and it is discouraging to me. I love both of them dearly and the only way I can deal with their illness is through God strengthening me to be strong enough for them. I hope you have someone who cares about you and takes care of your needs. I can tell you that if you turn back to God, he is the only one who is capable of healing you. Your pastor friend can't do it and your friends from church can't do it. If God chooses not to heal you , then he can at least give you the strength you need to deal with your ailments and he promised he will never leave or forsake you. You seem to have had faith before and lost it; I hope and pray you find it again. You have gained a friend today if nothing else.

31 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You are uncomfortable with where someone is getting baptized. That is fine and dandy, but the statement in bold that I highlighted is very intolerant.

You probably should read the post then if you are going to speak about comprehension, specifically the bolder point, which I outlined in my original post. How am I claiming something different than your STRONG opinion?  It doesn’t matter whether you think it is appropriate. If it is not infringing on anybody else’s rights, then you yourself do NOT have any right to try to censor where someone is being baptized. It’s pretty simple. Would you want someone to tell you that you couldn’t breastfeed in public? You keep saying you are so objective but do you even know what that means? Quite frankly your whole position has been from your own PERSONAL standpoint. If you were really objective, you would know it does not matter one iota what you or I feel, if it is within their rights, then you should be mindful of that person's actions. I don't care what religion you are if you are following the law, then as long as you practice within those parameters, my personal feelings should dissuade me to a position one way or another.

Edit: on second thought you actually do have a right to say it but we have the right to disagree on the matter and this does not make us bullies nor does it mean we think we are better than you or that we have pressured you into anything. You have also said I am infringing on someone else's rights. All accusations that you have made in the last 24 hours without anything to follow up with. 

2 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Well I genuinely feel for you brother. Not to try to 1 up you, or take away from your afflictions by sharing this: I have a wife and daughter who suffer from the same symptoms you just described. I suffer from Type 11 Diabetes myself. I am an avid church attender and hold many positions In my church. My wife and daughter only go to church sparingly with me and it is discouraging to me. I love both of them dearly and the only way I can deal with their illness is through God strengthening me to be strong enough for them. I hope you have someone who cares about you and takes care of your needs. I can tell you that if you turn back to God, he is the only one who is capable of healing you. Your pastor friend can't do it and your friends from church can't do it. If God chooses not to heal you , then he can at least give you the strength you need to deal with your ailments and he promised he will never leave or forsake you. You seem to have had faith before and lost it; I hope and pray you find it again. You have gained a friend today if nothing else.

i am not athiest nor agnostic. i am just very careful whom i listen to when it comes to religion because i am all about the love and too many times i see too many so called christians wrap hate around the cross. so i am pretty sure i pay for that but i do have reasons. a man should always be true to his heart. at the end of the day i will be the only one to pay for any sins for my beliefs.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

explain that again and use muslims..............sorry there are folks who are christian that do bad things every single day. evil can penetrate any organization.......

Easy to explain. Some Muslims, the true followers of Islam, BELIEVE it is their calling to kill infidels and thus they are terrorists to us. Just because a person says he is a Christian (follower of Christ) doesn't  mean he is or he wouldn't be killing people. Such a person  is obviously not true to the 10 Commandments, one of which says "Thou shall not kill."  That's 180 degrees from a literal follower of the Quaran.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Easy tom explain. Some Muslims, the true followers of Islam, BELIEVE it is their calling to infidels and thus they are terrorists to us. Just because a person says he is a Christian (follower of Christ) doesn't  mean he is or he wouldn't be killing people.

Well to be fair,...David, who is called a man after God's own heart, absolutely plan the murder of the husband of Bathsheba after having a sexually immoral relationship with her. Just saying.

and no one yet since this thread has been going has mentioned the satanic coloring books in grade school because they tried to force prayer in school that i mentioned earlier. the satanists were allowed to give out satanic coloring books and information sheets once they allowed christian prayer back in school. now who is ok with that? but according to law if you allow one you allow the other. and if i had a child going to school come home with satanic material given to them at that i would be very upset. there are too many things that can go wrong.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm not taking it personally. Not sure why you think that.  I'm just pointing out that being baptized or being of the Christian faith is not the only indicator of being a decent young man.

I agree. Who SAID differently?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well to be fair,...David, who is called a man after God's own heart, absolutely plan the murder of the husband of Bathsheba after having a sexually immoral relationship with her. Just saying.

True, but that obviously was not an act that was condoned by God.  Later in the story, David was censure for that action by the prophet Nathan and repented.

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

True, but that obviously was not an act that was condoned by God.  Later in the story, David was censure for that action by the prophet Nathan and repented.

Well, all sin is not condoned by God, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a Man of God when he chose to do it. The comment above me says someone who is a follower of Christ wouldn't murder someone. David was by far a follower of God when he chose to do that.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

David wasn't a Christian.

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

And

2 Samuel 24:11-17 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

David’s Punishment

11 When David got up in the morning, a revelation from the Lord had come to the prophet Gad, David’s seer: 12 “Go and say to David, ‘This is what the Lordsays: I am offering you three choices. Choose one of them, and I will do it to you.’”

13 So Gad went to David, told him the choices, and asked him, “Do you want three[a] years of famine to come on your land, to flee from your foes three months while they pursue you, or to have a plague in your land three days? Now, think it over and decide what answer I should take back to the One who sent me.”

14 David answered Gad, “I have great anxiety. Please, let us fall into the Lord’s hands because His mercies are great, but don’t let me fall into human hands.”

15 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel from that morning until the appointed time, and from Dan to Beer-sheba 70,000 men died. 16 Then the angel extended his hand toward Jerusalem to destroy it,but the Lord relented concerning the destruction and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough, withdraw your hand now!” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah[b] the Jebusite.

17 When David saw the angel striking the people, he said to the Lord, “Look, I am the one who has sinned; I am the one[c] who has done wrong. But these sheep, what have they done? Please, let Your hand be against me and my father’s family.”

do you know any muslims? i do. that crap of wanting to kill all infidels is a warped view of their religion. they love america. they do not want to see anyone hurt. and they do not know of anyone who wants to have sex with a goat either.and i am telling you the true followers of islam want peace. you need to quit listening to news stories and blogs and go get some real facts. you strike me as being part of the problem because you just told some whoppers...................

12 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Easy to explain. Some Muslims, the true followers of Islam, BELIEVE it is their calling to kill infidels and thus they are terrorists to us. Just because a person says he is a Christian (follower of Christ) doesn't  mean he is or he wouldn't be killing people. Such a person  is obviously not true to the 10 Commandments, one of which says "Thou shall not kill."  That's 180 degrees from a literal follower of the Quaran.

He was a man of God. Even the Jewish criteria for the Messiah was he to be a descendant from David.

You realize the man who started Christianity came from David's lineage. Like that had to occur for the prophecies to be set straight. By diminishing David's role in the bible, you pretty much-forgo Christianity as a whole, right?

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

and no one yet since this thread has been going has mentioned the satanic coloring books in grade school because they tried to force prayer in school that i mentioned earlier. the satanists were allowed to give out satanic coloring books and information sheets once they allowed christian prayer back in school. now who is ok with that? but according to law if you allow one you allow the other. and if i had a child going to school come home with satanic material given to them at that i would be very upset. there are too many things that can go wrong.

I never heard of such and assume it was an isolated thing. But if so I agree it would be wrong and I would be the first parent at the school.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

And

2 Samuel 24:11-17 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

David’s Punishment

11 When David got up in the morning, a revelation from the Lord had come to the prophet Gad, David’s seer: 12 “Go and say to David, ‘This is what the Lordsays: I am offering you three choices. Choose one of them, and I will do it to you.’”

13 So Gad went to David, told him the choices, and asked him, “Do you want three[a] years of famine to come on your land, to flee from your foes three months while they pursue you, or to have a plague in your land three days? Now, think it over and decide what answer I should take back to the One who sent me.”

14 David answered Gad, “I have great anxiety. Please, let us fall into the Lord’s hands because His mercies are great, but don’t let me fall into human hands.”

15 So the Lord sent a plague on Israel from that morning until the appointed time, and from Dan to Beer-sheba 70,000 men died. 16 Then the angel extended his hand toward Jerusalem to destroy it,but the Lord relented concerning the destruction and said to the angel who was destroying the people, “Enough, withdraw your hand now!” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah[b] the Jebusite.

17 When David saw the angel striking the people, he said to the Lord, “Look, I am the one who has sinned; I am the one[c] who has done wrong. But these sheep, what have they done? Please, let Your hand be against me and my father’s family.”

HCSB reader? I like the CSB study bible myself.

Just now, DAG said:

HCSB reader? I like the CSB study bible myself.

It’s just a version I saw on the Bible Gateway. The dusty bible of mine is a NKJV. I am basically synonymous to a Jack Mormon at the moment. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

It’s just a version I saw on the Bible Gateway. The dusty bible of mine is a NKJV. I am basically synonymous to a Jack Mormon at the moment. 

Haha fair enough. 

I never heard of such and assume it was an isolated thing. But if so I agree it would be wrong and I would be the first parent at the school.

i googled  several news stories and it is true. and it is actually easy to find on google. and if the satanist  thing got started at auburn because other religions were given a free pass i would be upset. remember when the big time racist guy got to speak at auburn university or was declined and still did his hate crap in auburn city somewhere?

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

do you know any muslims? i do. that crap of wanting to kill all infidels is a warped view of their religion. they love america. they do not want to see anyone hurt. and they do not know of anyone who wants to have sex with a goat either.and i am telling you the true followers of islam want peace. you need to quit listening to news stories and blogs and go get some real facts. you strike me as being part of the problem because you just told some whoppers...................

Yes I know some Muslims and I don't have any issue with them. BUT you miss my distinction. I said the terrorists are those who interpret the Quran to say kill infidels and think they are doing the right thing by doing so.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

One thing I wish I would stop seeing in this thread is the declaration that anyone who doesn't take issue with the baptisms would take issue with a similar Muslim ceremony taking place. While that may be the case with some people, a blanket generalization like that just hurts your credibility because its fundamentally untrue and comes across as striking out at the individual instead of making a case for your belief. Just because someone thinks the church and state PC stuff is out of control doesn't mean they assign that out of control assessment to a single religion. I, for one, wouldn't bat an eye to be walking through a student center and see prayer rugs setup in one of the rooms with students praying. I would venture to guess that a good number of others on this board feel the same way, and have no issue with kids being baptized on campus either.

As an example I was in Auburn for the South Carolina basketball game. We were walking by the stadium on the way to the arena and 50-75 Indian students were having some kind of religious event with colored smoke and music. My son in law said it was a holy day for Hindus. It didn’t bother me at all and from what i can tell Auburn has always been inclusive and tolerant of other faiths.

Archived