Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I'm not saying I'd rule Auburn out. However, the religious orientation of the athletic teams is a factor which I would have to seriously evaluate. While not a deal breaker, it wouldn't be a plus in AU's favor.

That’s completely fair. 

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say that I don’t particularly view AU as more Christian centric than other places from an athletic standpoint. I do think the MORE prominent people like Cam Newton spoke about which makes it seem this way. I know for a fact the badgers have had guys get baptized as well and even UWM basketball squad. If you left the state of Alabama and traveled to Milwaukee, the only thing anyone would know about AU is that Cam Newton played there for the most part. They hardly associate it with the family like quality or Christian centric athletics. They do however consider most southern schools to be conservative in nature, but that is a culture thing.

8 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

The burden of proof is not on the side who is passively watching what is happening.

You are the one making assertions an insinuations. The burden of proof is most definitely on you. 

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

This is true. When I was in college, not one professor ever professed to be a creationist and many actually mocked Christianity from their official capacities. I understand the level of coerced influence that you’re talking about. 

“Faith and football” goes hand in hand in the south don’t you think?

Here is a nice Philadelphia Eagles shot of a player getting baptized before their game against Carolina just a couple hours later. 

Eagles25.JPG

Great picture Jeff! This is a wonderful depiction of what Christianity is all about. What you see here is unity between Christians in support and welcoming this man into the family of God. We need more of this in the world.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You are the one making assertions an insinuations. The burden of proof is most definitely on you. 

There's no insinuations.  I'm simply telling you what is happening is not kosher.  You know it.  I know it.  Everyone knows it.  But the vast majority don't care b/c it is inline with their personal beliefs.  Take this show off-campus and I have no problem.  But this is wrong.

19 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I am not trying to get into a argument, but true Christians would not have an issue with this.  The main premise of Christianity is to love everyone and be accepting.  Like I said in one of my posts, it is hypocritical for Christians to judge others and criticize them for their actions, and then go to God and ask not to be judged themselves.  So I would have no issue.  But, with any religion not everyone interprets things how they should, like ISIS distorting the Islamic faith.  Again, not trying to argue.  Just wanted to clarify how Christians should react if what you said were the case.

I'm going to get off on a tangent a bit:

Where does the Great Commission fit in with this?  How do you reconcile 'being accepting' with evangelism?  While we can obviously be kind and loving to others of all beliefs and worldviews, there are pretty hard and fast tenets of Christianity which are contradictory to those of other religions.  While they both can share elements of truth, Islam in whole and Christianity in whole cannot both be true (if for no other reason than their respective positions on who Jesus was/is).  

What does it mean to judge others?  Does thinking that someone else's religious views are wrong qualify as judging them?  If by 'judge', you mean to condemn someone to hell/damnation, then that is not within our power as mere mortals and certainly would be the height of arrogance and pride on our part; however, if by 'judge' you mean to rightly discern truth from falsity, then the Bible tells us to do that also and your definition conflicts with Biblical teaching.  

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

While they both can share elements of truth, Islam in whole and Christianity in whole cannot both be true (if for no other reason than their respective positions on who Jesus was/is).  

The problem with religion in a nutshell right there. My god is better than your god and oh, that guy's god is right out!

Just now, selias said:

The problem with religion in a nutshell right there. My god is better than your god and oh, that guy's god is right out!

But everyone has to believe something.

Just now, triangletiger said:

I believe in the separation of church and Auburn Athletics ... :big:

11 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I'm going to get off on a tangent a bit:

Where does the Great Commission fit in with this?  How do you reconcile 'being accepting' with evangelism?  While we can obviously be kind and loving to others of all beliefs and worldviews, there are pretty hard and fast tenets of Christianity which are contradictory to those of other religions.  While they both can share elements of truth, Islam in whole and Christianity in whole cannot both be true (if for no other reason than their respective positions on who Jesus was/is).  

What does it mean to judge others?  Does thinking that someone else's religious views are wrong qualify as judging them?  If by 'judge', you mean to condemn someone to hell/damnation, then that is not within our power as mere mortals and certainly would be the height of arrogance and pride on our part; however, if by 'judge' you mean to rightly discern truth from falsity, then the Bible tells us to do that also and your definition conflicts with Biblical teaching.  

Okay, this is a whole different discussion. I will say that if you are going to have this discussion, please read the whole passage being spoken which represents the sermon on the mount (Matthew 7:1-5). Then try to decipher more. It leads to utter confusion when anyone quotes one portion of anything and doesn't know or understand context. Again, I don't think this discussion is appropriate for this topic.

5 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

You're right, I think that all religions are preposterous. I don't generally go around ridiculing those who chose to believe in some sort of divine being but, in my head I think it's quite silly and lacking in logic.

Just now, DAG said:

Okay, this is a whole different discussion. I will say that if you are going to have this discussion, please read the whole passage being spoken which represents the sermon on the mount (Matthew 7:1-6). Then try to decipher more. It leads to utter confusion when anyone quotes one portion of anything and doesn't know or understand context. Again, I don't think this discussion is appropriate for this topic.

Agreed. I didn't mean to derail the thread.  I just get a bit leery when I see the word 'judge' thrown around in an apparently flippant manner.  I does need to be understood within its context and the context of the Bible as a whole.

Just now, selias said:

You're right. I think that all religions are preposterous. I don't generally go around ridiculing those who chose to believe in some sort of divine being but, in my head I think it's quite silly and lacking in logic.

So, how do you explain why there is something rather than nothing?

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I actually think it’s quite appropriately placed - religious entanglement with the program has always been part of the seedy under belly that is Auburn Athletics.

Couldn’t agree more with this.   Something about the undertones that permeates from everything that deals with auburn along these same lines.  And then auburn gets caught at something and becomes the punch line.   

Just now, triangletiger said:

So, how do you explain why there is something rather than nothing?

Are you asking me to explain cosmology and theoretical physics? If so, you'll be sorely disappointed. While I find those subjects intensely interesting (currently rereading "A Brief History of Time"), I am too much of a layman to try and explain it to someone else.

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I believe in the separation of church and Auburn Athletics ... :big:

Are you ok with professors, who represent Auburn University, being openly antagonistic toward the Christian faith? Cause there is a lot of seedy underbelly showing from the podium/pulpit of the typical Auburn classroom.

5 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Agreed. I didn't mean to derail the thread.  I just get a bit leery when I see the word 'judge' thrown around in an apparently flippant manner.  I does need to be understood within its context and the context of the Bible as a whole.

And I am not trying to call you out either, friend. I just see this happen in so many scenarios, especially with "religious" people. It is not only completely inclusive of the bible either. They take one snippet of something, use it as an agenda and run with it. Again, not saying either one of you is doing this. There is just context that needs to be addressed to even fully grasp that message. You see it all the time in journalism with their headlines to get clicks.

55 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Surprised at the blank stare, the sketchiness of Chette has been long documented

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/03/sports/ncaafootball/auburn-trustee-boosts-everyone-including-the-chaplain.html

Did you seriously just use an article by Selena Roberts to defend your position?

2 minutes ago, PotPot said:

Are you ok with professors, who represent Auburn University, being openly antagonistic toward the Christian faith? Cause there is a lot of seedy underbelly showing from the podium/pulpit of the typical Auburn classroom.

Nope, that's not cool either.

Just now, PigskinPat said:

Did you seriously just use an article by Selena Roberts to defend your position?

No, I used an old article to show the controversy surrounding Chette's involvement in Athletics is nothing new.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/08/organization_asks_auburn_to_re.html

6 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

The separation of church and state is all about not establishing a state religion, not banning any religious activity from buildings that happen to be partially funded by state money. If you went down that road, then you'd have to go as far a saying students of all religions couldn't pray in their own dorm rooms and religious organizations could only meet off campus.

I have a very deep respect for Auburn's willingness to embrace the good that comes from religious practices. In fact, that was part of why I decided to go there. When I went on my campus visit, there was a copy of the Glom in the first office we went to, and looking through it, I was blown away by the open display of religious activities side-by-side with secular activities. Coming from close proximity to KU, where religion is treated like an infectious disease, that was refreshing.

This is correct.  @lionheartkc beat me to it.  

I’m 100% in favor of baptisms in the AC!!!  I love the Christian atmosphere at AU!  I wouldn’t want it any other way!

2 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Right. An article. By SELENA ROBERTS.

Thanks.  He’s probably going to pull up a Pete Thamel article next.

Archived