Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

36 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

There's no insinuations.  I'm simply telling you what is happening is not kosher.  You know it.  I know it.  Everyone knows it.  But the vast majority don't care b/c it is inline with their personal beliefs.  Take this show off-campus and I have no problem.  But this is wrong.

Well, we sure can agree on that at least.......way to go  :bow:Red

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, selias said:

Are you asking me to explain cosmology and theoretical physics? If so, you'll be sorely disappointed. While I find those subjects intensely interesting (currently rereading "A Brief History of Time"), I am too much of a layman to try and explain it to someone else.

Stephen Hawking (RIP) would have agreed that the universe had a beginning (i.e., the so-called Big Bang) and was instrumental in establishing this 'fact' in the scientific community.  One of the cosmological arguments used to supporttheism ( the Kalam Cosmological Argument, which Christian thinkers, ironically, adopted from Muslim thinkers in the Medieval era) is based on this assumption.  In syllogistic form, it has written out thusly:

1) Whatever begins to exist has a cause;

2) The universe began to exist;

-therefore

3) the universe had a cause.

What are your thoughts on this?

43 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Great picture Jeff! This is a wonderful depiction of what Christianity is all about. What you see here is unity between Christians in support and welcoming this man into the family of God. We need more of this in the world.

Thanks. I love the depiction of unity, and brotherhood as well. Two things that easily transfers over to the football field. The Eagles locker room is very religious to be a pro team and surprisingly FFRF hasn’t knocked down their doors. 

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

I actually think it’s quite appropriately placed - religious entanglement with the program has always been part of the seedy under belly that is Auburn Athletics.

Crazy, this really hits a nerve because I have been so outspoken against the former AD.  I was radically changed (heart transformation) in 1994 and hypocrisy is something that I've become hyper sensitive to.  I would never leverage my faith for personal gain, but it happens all the time.  It goes contrary to everything my Messiah, this man Jesus, was about and it's contrary to the core foundation of Auburn University....say it with me "...and that I can best serve that country by 'doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God'."  Which is direct quote from The Auburn Quote and Micah 6:8

The event and the dialogue it has created here and elsewhere are fantastic.

Here's a question:  Do you think a Jewish person, Muslim or non-believer would be comfortable on Auburn's Football team?

4 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

Stephen Hawking (RIP) would have agreed that the universe had a beginning (i.e., the so-called Big Bang) and was instrumental in establishing this 'fact' in the scientific community.  One of the cosmological arguments used to supporttheism ( the Kalam Cosmological Argument, which Christian thinkers, ironically, adopted from Muslim thinkers in the Medieval era) is based on this assumption.  In syllogistic form, it has written out thusly:

-therefore

Professor Hawking, in his later years, began to doubt his Big Bang theory. He posited that time is what began at the Big Bang. My personal thoughts on it are that we don't yet know what happened. Perhaps we're part of a multiverse and our part began when 2 or more collided and created a singularity. There are lots of theories around the beginning of time in our universe.

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Here's a question:  Do you think a Jewish person, Muslim or non-believer be comfortable on Auburn's Football team?

You have all of these hypotheticals..yes, I do feel this way. Why? Because we haven’t heard any source of grumbling against such a thing.  I have no insider information regarding my answer. Justmy best opinion. I just find it hard to believe that if anyone felt uncomfortable of that nature, it wouldn’t have gotten out when so many things that make people uncomfortable usually is at the forefront. Something like this would be a hot topic to the media.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

Here's a question:  Do you think a Jewish person, Muslim or non-believer be comfortable on Auburn's Football team?

As long as everyone is respectful of each other’s beliefs, yes. 

Isn’t our basketball coach openly Jewish? Any complaints?

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Do you see these kind of displays coming out of the basketball program?

4 hours ago, RunInRed said:

There's no insinuations.  I'm simply telling you what is happening is not kosher.  You know it.  I know it.  Everyone knows it.  But the vast majority don't care b/c it is inline with their personal beliefs.  Take this show off-campus and I have no problem.  But this is wrong.

This is the very definition of an unproven assertion. Just because “I say so” is not sufficient. 

22 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

-therefore

12 minutes ago, selias said:

Professor Hawking, in his later years, began to doubt his Big Bang theory. He posited that time is what began at the Big Bang. My personal thoughts on it are that we don't yet know what happened. Perhaps we're part of a multiverse and our part began when 2 or more collided and created a singularity. There are lots of theories around the beginning of time in our universe.

PM coming but you'll have to give me a minute.

Just now, TitanTiger said:

This is the very definitions of an unproven assertion. Just because “I say so” is not sufficient. 

The only assertion I made, was that Auburn Football players were getting baptized in the Athletics Complex with University employees present.  Actually, it wasn't really an assert, it was a fact, supported by player's social media posts.

My opinion is that it's wrong.  Simple as that.  

Shall we try to hit the reset button here?

6 minutes ago, selias said:

The multiverse theory just kicks the can down the street, so to speak.  It still seems to me that existence of the multiverse requires some sort of explanation.  I realize you haven't committed to any particular cosmological theory, but how did it all get started?  Prominent cosmologist Lawrence Krauss has claimed that it all came from nothing through quantum vacuum fluctuations.  But, then, how did these quantum vacuum fluctuations occur if there really is nothing?  

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I think he's Jewish, but also a Christian.

ETA - Religious entanglement has long been a point of controversy within AU Athletics.  That's also not an assertion - it's quite well documented.

4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

How does that work?

Jewish by birth; Christian by faith.  You do realize, of course, that the first Christian were Jews?  I know there's a long, sordid, bloody history that resulted in any anti-Christian sentiment among many Jewish communities, but it does happen sometimes that Jews become Christians (without being forced to).

3 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Do you see these kind of displays coming out of the basketball program?

I see a very vocal coach that often takes his beliefs to Twitter. If his players aren’t uncomfortable with his religion, I don’t see why a student-athlete initiated baptism in football would be any different.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

The only assertion I made, was that Auburn Football players were getting baptized in the Athletics Complex with University employees present.  Actually, it wasn't really an assert, it was a fact, supported by player's social media posts.

My opinion is that it's wrong.  Simple as that.  

Shall we try to hit the reset button here?

Can they pray on the football field with University employees present?

1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Jewish by birth; Christian by faith.

Heard him speak about his faith a number of times and about his bible study group.... I think maybe BP is converted...hearing him talk like a Christian a number of times and is he is openly religious.  We have less than a dozen basketball players and 100 football players...seems that numbers might have something to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I'm not sure that's correct.

I've heard him talk about going to church on Sunday in post-game interviews with Rod Bramblett.  I've not heard his testimony, but put 2 and 2 together.  Practitioners of Judaism would normally go to temple/synagogue on the Sabbath (Friday sundown-Saturday sundown), so I didn't think he was talking about Jewish services.

5 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

I'm not sure that's correct.

Ever heard of a guy named Jesus?

You give God the glory," Pearl said last weekend at the SEC tournament, starting a point he'd need a few minutes to complete. "One of the things I love about living in Auburn now . . ."

In Alabama, he will get around to saying, it is more generally accepted to merge sports and faith, to introduce players to the Almighty, for a coach to consider his program a ministry.

Pearl will mention the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a positive influence on the Tigers, and the group reinforces his message of selflessness and love and gratitude, all important themes to Pearl.

AUBURN, Alabama — Auburn coach Bruce Pearl's Twitter account stands out amongst his colleagues on the Plains. 

While Gus Malzahn mainly uses the platform to signal wins on the recruiting trail with his patented “Boom!”, Pearl ventures into topics he’s passionate about that go beyond sports. On Wednesday, Pearl retweeted a video of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanking President Donald Trump for recognizing Jerusalem as Israel's capital. 

“I don’t think I use my platform as a coach,” Pearl said. “I think as an American, citizen, there are certain things you feel strongly about. Some of them involve religion, some of them do involve politics and some involve our country. I’m blessed to be, not only to be working for a university that understands that, but also living in a country where you can. Clearly as an American Jew I’m very passionate about the state of Israel. It’s existence, it’s survival. The great threat of anti-Semitism that’s on the rise worldwide.”

Part of what drives Pearl to speak out on issues involving Israel are the vivid memories from his childhood of the Six-Day War and the Yom Kippur War. The uncertainty people in Israel faced during the conflicts kept him up at night. 

“I wasn’t sure I would wake up in the morning and know that the Jewish homeland was still the Jewish homeland,” Pearl said.

Pearl's passion for Israel made it a "dream come true" when he was selected to coach the USA Men’s Basketball Team in 18th World Maccabiah Games back in 2008. Steven Pearl played on the team that won a gold medal in Israel. 

After Auburn's press conference Thursday previewing the program's upcoming game against UAB, Pearl said he's “grateful” to be part of a university that allows him to speak his mind. The coach acknowledges the current politicized atmosphere, but doesn’t expect all of his fans or players to agree with every opinion he expresses. 

“It was a historic day for our President to declare Jerusalem once again the state capital," Pearl said. "It’s always been the capitol of Israel, but not always been recognized. Jerusalem is a place — and I’ve been there, my wife has been there a few times — where Jews, Christians and Muslims have got so much wonderful history. That should be a place that the world should be able to shine a light and be able to see all religions be able to live in peace in that environment. The protection of the holy sites and the ability of all religions to be able to worship there. I think Israel has demonstrated that they truly are the only ones that will honor everyone’s rights to worship.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-coach-Bruce-Pearl-willing-to-discuss-issues-he-feels-strongly-about-111935736/Amp

Archived