Baptisms at the Athletics Complex

RunInRed

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That depends. Did the coach broadcast his attendance to the team or did he just quietly attended to support the players who chose to participate?

You're putting your position in a smaller and smaller box ...

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RunInRed said:

Hypothetically, what would you say if I told you I had evidence of a coach who attended?

I'd be okay with that.

1 minute ago, RunInRed said:

You're putting your position in a smaller and smaller box ...

How so? There's nothing wrong with a coach supporting his players. Auburn sells family. What kind of family would we be if we were intolerant of our family members' religious activities?

If it makes you feel better, Red, if Gus was the one in the pool doing the baptism, I would totally agree with you that it was inappropriate. 

I love it. 

Did the University or football program put out anything on social media? The only things I saw being posted were from the players themselves. 

Why did I think Todd wasn't the official photographer anymore?

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

How so? There's nothing wrong with a coach supporting his players. Auburn sells family. What kind of family would we be if we were intolerant of our family members' religious activities?

If it makes you feel better, Red, if Gus was the one in the pool doing the baptism, I would totally agree with you that it was inappropriate. 

Glad to know you do have a line, somewhere ...

33 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

We live in a society where people find fault with anything and everything. 

And are offended by any and everything.

Hey there, (ministry school student here) just had a conversation with one of my professors about this exact instance. She thinks that the only issue is if athletes who don’t practice Christianity might feel excluded. While Christianity was built on spreading the gospel to everyone, I don’t think we should force it down anyone’s throat. 

10 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Football? Thoughts?

Water football? Might run into some problems in the kicking game. Also, integrating "chicken-fighting" would make things more interesting.

Just now, RunInRed said:

Glad to know you do have a line, somewhere ...

Attempting to ignoring the mildly veiled insult to my character which surprises me from you... I have lots of lines... most of them involve actual harm to ones fellow man. In this case, if Gus were performing the baptisms, that would give it the feeling of being a team activity. That would be wrong both for the players who didn't want to participate, because they would naturally feel compelled, and the players who did, because in the faith, baptism is supposed to be a very personal choice, not a team activity.

I also believe that our society spends FAR too much time telling each other how to live their lives based on their own comfort zones. The incessant attacking of Christianity in our society is disgraceful, if you ask me, especially since the majority of what people are attacking isn't hurting anyone. It's gotten to the point with many people that they've move from "I don't agree with your beliefs" to "your beliefs should not be allowed to exist". Let's face it, people defend players when they break the actual law because "they are just being college kids", but Brother Chette gives one a quick dunk under the water in a training pool and it's suddenly a HUGE deal. 

Here's what the constitution says... "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Seems to me that they are participating in part two of that. Why should that bother anyone?

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Water football? Might run into some problems in the kicking game. Also, integrating "chicken-fighting" would make things more interesting.

It would certainly minimize injuries from impact, but sadly greatly increase the potential of drowning.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Attempting to ignoring the mildly veiled insult to my character which surprises me from you... I have lots of lines... most of them involve actual harm to ones fellow man. In this case, if Gus were performing the baptisms, that would give it the feeling of being a team activity. That would be wrong both for the players who didn't want to participate, because they would naturally feel compelled, and the players who did, because in the faith, baptism is supposed to be a very personal choice, not a team activity.

I also believe that our society spends FAR too much time telling each other how to live their lives based on their own comfort zones. The incessant attacking of Christianity in our society is disgraceful, if you ask me, especially since the majority of what people are attacking isn't hurting anyone. It's gotten to the point with many people that they've move from "I don't agree with your beliefs" to "your beliefs should not be allowed to exist". Let's face it, people defend players when they break the actual law because "they are just being college kids", but Brother Chette gives one a quick dunk under the water in a training pool and it's suddenly a HUGE deal. 

Here's what the constitution says... "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Seems to me that they are participating in part two of that. Why should that bother anyone?

To be fair, I hadn't even heard about this until a MOD posted this thread and asked for thoughts.  I don't see it anyone making a huge deal at all about it.  More of an exercise in what our standards are and maybe should be.

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Maybe (probably) it's just me, or my tilt to religion being a personal and private thing, but I've always been disturbed how Auburn Athletics injects it into the fabric of everything they do.  I get that it plays well in this part of the country but at the end of the day, we're a public university, not Liberty, BYU or Brandeis.

Perhaps you should move from 'this part of the country.' 

The last time I checked, students can still 'voluntarily' pray at school; the school cannot mandate religious participation. I would suppose this is a voluntary baptism by all involved, including the attendees who were their to support them.

I have zero problem with it, of course. 

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be fair, I hadn't even heard about this until a MOD posted this thread and asked for thoughts.  I don't see it anyone making a huge deal at all about it.  More of an exercise in what our standards are and maybe should be.

The "huge deal" reference was more about Red continuing to push the point, including a mild insult, after guys like you had already finished their rational discussions. 

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Hey there, (ministry school student here) just had a conversation with one of my professors about this exact instance. She thinks that the only issue is if athletes who don’t practice Christianity might feel excluded. While Christianity was built on spreading the gospel to everyone, I don’t think we should force it down anyone’s throat. 

Yep this is pretty much it 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

And as usual, you completely ignored most of the post and missed the point.  No one is stopping the kids from worshipping.  The baptism was done in a part of campus that is not open to every student and is being conducted by a university employee (pretty sure that's Chette performing the ceremony).  If it's done in an open forum area on campus protected by law, then cool, go for it.  If it's done off-campus anywhere, then cool, go for it.

But what if an athlete from another sport, who happens to be of a different religion, needed that pool for therapy at that time?  Why should he/she have to wait for a religious ceremony to conclude?  Why couldn't this have been done in the swimming pool at the Student Act?  It would have accomplished the same thing and the optics would be much better since that area is open to ALL students.

Look, religion is a personal choice.  I'm happy that these guys made a choice that makes them happy.  I don't even care in the slightest that they put it on social media or anything.  My only concern is WHERE it took place.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I suspect there was confirmation that there were no athletic therapy sessions scheduled at these particular times.

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

The reason this is a problem: Will other athletes feel pressured to do this in order to remain in good graces with the coaching staff and the school, or consider this as a way to get playing time or benefits not available to unbaptized players?

Yes, because this is indicative of believers of the Christian faith...:-\

2 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I suspect there was confirmation that there were no athletic therapy sessions scheduled at these particular times.

And I am pretty sure if the athletic department would’ve outlawed an open area for a baptism , you would’ve heard something , especially in this day and age.

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Chette's on staff.  Also, if you look closely, that's Todd Van Emst, the official Auburn Football photographer, taking pics

http://www.auburntigers.com/ot/staff-directory.html

You seriously have nothing else to worry about?

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Maybe (probably) it's just me, or my tilt to religion being a personal and private thing, but I've always been disturbed how Auburn Athletics injects it into the fabric of everything they do.  I get that it plays well in this part of the country but at the end of the day, we're a public university, not Liberty, BYU or Brandeis.

That's your choice but Jesus didn't make his teaching., witnessing, and death personal and private. Let your light shine He said. I'm glad AU has a FCA chapter and Chet as team chaplain. I donate the help pay his salary. He has been a positive influence on AU athletes. If you don't know his own story playing for Coach Dye you should read it......."Hard Fighting Soldiers."

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

True Christianity has never been about forced conversions.

26 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Which is exactly why you didn't see the entire team attending. That's pretty much settled.

As a Christian this sounds great to me. I am all for it and don't care if the coaches are all there. As somewhat of a hypocrite I would care if someone wanted to start something weird like sacrificing goats or farm animals in the athletic facilities. What I truly think is that anything that makes these young men better people is good with me. We grip and complain about the pot problem so we should be rejoicing when a young man makes a decision that hopefully takes him in a different direction than that. And that there seem to be a lot of others on the team that feel the same way.  

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Do you see any irony here?

Not at all. We have an AU chapter of the FCA supported by alumni among others, and we have an athletic chaplain with an office in the Athletic building. What is he supposed to do, hide? Chet is not forcing religion down anyone's throat and neither is the use of a small pool for a few baptism's.

Archived