Softball vs Kentucky

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a Web gem! Unbelievable play by our Tigers tonight. 

Podany makes a nice running catch in left to end the inning.   3-0 Tigers going to bottom 6th.

Another terrific defensive play by Auburn.  lined shot to Veach at 3rd and she cuts it off and throws to 1st from her knees in time to get the batter.       Veach was slow to get up but she is staying in the game.  1  out

Kentucky plates a run and has a runner at 1st with 1 out. Kaylee Carlson in to pitch to close this one out.

Whew! A little drama for the final few outs. Overall one of the more solid games Auburn has played this year.  Phenomenal plays on offense and defense, and no miscues until Draper throw in 7th. This team is gelling under Dean's leadership and I am excited for the rest of the season. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

Dowell lines one deep to left and its off the top (literally) of the wall and Dowell slides in at 2nd.   Podany grounds to 3rd.  1 out.   The hit by Dowell hit the top of the wall and appeared (to me) to hit the light poll as well then come back in.   I believe that should have been a home run.

I also thought when watching the replay that the ball might have caromed off the pole.  Couldn't believe it could hit the very top of the fence and come back in, unless the top was beveled.  Britt agreed, I think, but Bogaards glossed over it.  Wondering why Dean didn't question it.

Very well-played game by the Tigers tonight.  Kentucky is not chopped liver, as LSU found out.  I'm in love with their shortstop Reed, one of the best in the conference; but I'm pretty proud of our freshman shortstop Dowell tonight.  Does anyone know why Taylon missed the last two games?

Great job by Martin and the defense, keeping KY off the scoreboard until the 7th.  They scored 7 on Walljasper and Hoover in 3 1/2 innings.  I don't believe Martin was in trouble in the 7th.  I believe she walked Cheek purposely when the count got to 3-2, rather than give her a strike to hit.  Not a bad idea.  Then Baalman gets that little dinker up the middle.  I think Dean was just giving them a different look with Carlson, preserving the win.  Smart move.

A terrific game by all the Tigers but I'll single out Makenna Dowell for great fielding and timely hitting.  She certainly didn't look like a Freshman, coming off the bench to fill in for the normal SS, in a crucial SEC game.  I'm glad we've got her and it makes me feel much better about depth going forward.  War Eagle, Makenna.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I also thought when watching the replay that the ball might have caromed off the pole.  Couldn't believe it could hit the very top of the fence and come back in, unless the top was beveled.  Britt agreed, I think, but Bogaards glossed over it.  Wondering why Dean didn't question it.

That was Anna Gibbs tonight.  In person, you could see it hit the wall and no pole..  Well hit and you don't see that often.  

thanks for the correction and the on-site observation.  The ball would have to hit the fence at precisely the right angle; I'm talking another half inch, maybe quarter inch, and it goes on over.

9 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

thanks for the correction and the on-site observation.  The ball would have to hit the fence at precisely the right angle; I'm talking another half inch, maybe quarter inch, and it goes on over.

Yep, what a crazy bounce.  If it had a painted line on top like the majors, it would have been gone.  

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Yep, what a crazy bounce.  If it had a painted line on top like the majors, it would have been gone.  

I don't know if that would have made a difference since the ball ricocheted off the pole onto the very top of the fence almost fence level.   I don't see how a yellow line painted on the fence would have helped the umpire.  The ball bouncing back onto the field should have made the umpire question if it hit the pole.  

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

I don't know if that would have made a difference since the ball ricocheted off the pole onto the very top of the fence almost fence level.   I don't see how a yellow line painted on the fence would have helped the umpire.  The ball bouncing back onto the field should have made the umpire question if it hit the pole.  

I am only referencing the line because in the majors, hitting the line constitutes a homerun. It was said more in jest than anything.  

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

According to 4WDE, who was there, it didn't hit the pole.  I agree with your last statement; and I still say Dean should have questioned it.  I couldn't believe the ball hit the fence and just popped up a foot.  If it had hit at exactly the right angle, it seems to me it should have rebounded more than that.

Edit:  I just called up the replay and watched it again, twice.  It didn't hit the light pole.  Hit right on the inside corner of the top of the fence.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

According to 4WDE, who was there, it didn't hit the pole.  I agree with your last statement; and I still say Dean should have questioned it.  I couldn't believe the ball hit the fence and just popped up a foot.  If it had hit at exactly the right angle, it seems to me it should have rebounded more than that.

Edit:  I just called up the replay and watched it again, twice.  It didn't hit the light pole.  Hit right on the inside corner of the top of the fence.

The angle of the replay was deceiving.  You are right, it did not hit the pole.  1/4 of an inch longer and that was a home run. 

I had the HR in mind when we got to the field today and there is no way a ball could hit the light pole and bounce back in without being very obvious. The light poles are well away from the fence and it would have to take a big hop and hit the pole pretty hard to make it back to the field. 

Archived