Jatarvious Whitlow reminds teammate of Madden

WFE12

Watching JaTarvious Whitlow reminds Auburn teammate of 'Friday Night Lights,' playing 'Madden'

By Tom Green

Gus Malzahn wasn't ready to say if any of Auburn's five running backs created any separation in the Tigers' ongoing backfield battle, but one definitely stood out among the pack during the team's first scrimmage Saturday morning.

Each running back received between five and 10 carries during the roughly 100-play scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium, butJaTarvious "Boobee" Whitlow made the most of his touches. The redshirt freshman made perhaps the most impressive play of the scrimmage, breaking off a nearly 70-yard touchdown run, according to a source, after reversing field behind the line of scrimmage.

"It was something like you see on 'Madden,' where you just go one way and he reversed the other way," left guard Marquel Harrell said. "It was a good run. It brought some energy to the field. It was a good run for him."

Whitlow's highlight-reel touchdown run was one of the bright spots for an offense that committed five turnovers, including four interceptions, on the day.

It was also something that wasn't completely unfamiliar to his teammates, who have almost come to expect such playmaking ability from the 6-foot, 216-pound running back.

"I saw that about Boobee, I think, last fall camp," right guard Mike Horton said. "I've always seen that about him. I've always spoke highly about Boobee. I know he'll be a great player. I love him a lot."

Whitlow 'like a Pettway and Kerryon mix' at running back

Whitlow redshirted last season after injuring his ankle during fall camp, but the LaFayette native impressed in his limited opportunity before the injury and then gained some notoriety within the team for his explosiveness and elusive running style when he was cleared to return for practices during the Tigers' bowl preparation at the end of last season.

His rise has continued this spring, as he competes with the likes of Kam Martin, Devan Barrett, Asa Martin and Malik Miller for the starting running back position in an offense needing to replace its two best running backs, Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway.

"Boobee's been pretty impressive all spring," linebacker Darrell Williams said. "I told him today, pretty much, the ball's in his court. Whatever he wants to be, that's what he can be.... I feel like Boobee is a guy who has a lot of spotlight on him right now just because of the improvement that he's been doing. He had an injury last year, so he was kind of under the radar, but he's coming out a little more, so that's pretty good."

Malzahn said that he saw good things from all of Auburn's running backs on Saturday, while multiple players also pointed to the performances of Kam Martin and Barrett out of the backfield during the first scrimmage. Still, there's something about Whitlow's ability to create something out of nothing that has made the former three-star recruit an offseason standout.

Malzahn and coaches will review the film from Saturday and start to establish a pecking order among the running backs--and it wouldn't be surprising if Whitlow continues to rise to the top of that depth chart this spring.

"It's funny, because I don't know where he got the name Boobee from, but it's like (the movie) 'Friday Night Lights,'" Harrell said. "When you put Boobee in, we gonna win. That's kind of what reminds me of Boobee. He brings great energy, which we need at times."

On 3/24/2018 at 4:39 PM, WFE12 said:

Malzahn said that he saw good things from all of Auburn's running backs on Saturday, while multiple players also pointed to the performances of Kam Martin and Barrett out of the backfield during the first scrimmage.

Re: those who assume any positive references to "Martin" are pointed towards Asa. 

17 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So the future of the position could come down to Boobie and Asa.  That's close to being super funny. 

Thought there was a neat song idea in there, 'til I remembered that "Chorus Line" beat me to it.

Gus is the worst person in terms of evaluating a good RB (our RB coach is, who has been trying to find a new job for at least two years is).   Whitlow may be the next coming of Bo, but we will never know as long as Gus is HC,

wde

Archived