Baseball vs. Kentucky game 3

Wright having a bad day.  Ball 4 gets runners on first and second.  For some reason, Wright throws it to second...bad throw...runner moves to third.  Poor focus for AU early on in this one

Ugh....game not going well for Wright.....a throwing error though Holland did not make much of an effort to flag it down...so Anderson immediately in big trouble. 

5-1 after RBI double.  Im out to enjoy my Sunday.  Someone else feel free to take it home but it appears Auburn will leave Lexington 20-5, 3-3 in the SEC.

Anderson has a short stint.....gone after the 2 run double.....too bad for him....not an easy situation and then the misplay on the ball four pitch but runners on the corners and might have rattled him a bit. But that hit down the line was a shot to clear the bases.

Welby is back in the game....finished up game one I think so still warm from getting ready for that couple innings.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Ugh....game not going well for Wright.....a throwing error though Holland did not make much of an effort to flag it down...so Anderson immediately in big trouble. 

Holland has some kind of hand/wrist injury that he's nursing.

Butch Thompson cannot be happy with the pitching this weekend outside of Mize and Daniel.  There weren't just a lot of walks, there were a lot of non-competitive walks.  4 pitch walks, 5 pitch walks...

4 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

5-1 after RBI double.  Im out to enjoy my Sunday.  Someone else feel free to take it home but it appears Auburn will leave Lexington 20-5, 3-3 in the SEC.

Not bad looking numbers. 20-5, 3-3 looks a lot better than 19-6, 2-4. Glad we got one. We not playing good baseball today except for one inning that came at a great time. 

These guys have got to figure out how to hit against sec pitchers. 

Welby walks the first batter on four pitches and hits the next one to load the bases and his day is done.    Digging this hole deeper and deeper...

Herndon now in to pitch with bases loaded..

Gonna give everyone an inning perhaps....

Can you believe it....the LF ..Ward just loses the ball and drops it....announcers declare it a "single" which is a joke....but home field decision....and another two runs score and it's 7-1 and only one out....and two on base...    This inning has been a disaster...

Terrible day so far, but games like these happen. I'm just glad we're at least gonna leave town without getting swept. Also, this team has not come close to peaking yet which is fine because we don't wanna peak too early and fade later like last year.

3rd inning is finally over and AU is down 8-1.....not sure how many were earned but however,  they are on the scoreboard and the offense has a lot of work to do in a shortened game....another that will be 7 innings.

We’ve gotten through two of the tougher series we will have this year 3-3. You’ve gotta be okay with that considering we haven’t played near to our potential yet. Hope we can continue to win and slowly peak at the right time. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs. Kentucky game 3
2 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

We’ve gotten through two of the tougher series we will have this year 3-3. You’ve gotta be okay with that considering we haven’t played near to our potential yet. Hope we can continue to win and slowly peak at the right time. 

Like the optimism, but the toughness doesn't end.  @Arky @UF Vandy @Ole Miss still to go.  I think this team is better than last year, but I'm still not sure they even make postseason.  The rest of the league is just too good.  Which is why I hope AU keeps Butch, now that AU baseball has slowly nipped at the heels of tasting success in this conference.  Starting over now would put the death knell in the program for a good 4-5 years.

I'm trying to see a way this team gets to 15 wins, but without just unrealistically pencilling in sweeps against Mizzou, @Alabama (who always has AUs number)  and MSU, I don't see how it happens.  And while I do like Butch, I am still frustrated this is about the 147th year in a row Auburn can't get reliable bullpen arms.  Such is the state of the conference right now.  No use whining about it, just got to compete.

10 minutes ago, SCTiger2011 said:

Like the optimism, but the toughness doesn't end.  @Arky @UF Vandy @Ole Miss still to go.  I think this team is better than last year, but I'm still not sure they even make postseason.  The rest of the league is just too good.  Which is why I hope AU keeps Butch, now that AU baseball has slowly nipped at the heels of tasting success in this conference.  Starting over now would put the death knell in the program for a good 4-5 years.

I'm trying to see a way this team gets to 15 wins, but without just unrealistically pencilling in sweeps against Mizzou, @Alabama (who always has AUs number)  and MSU, I don't see how it happens.  And while I do like Butch, I am still frustrated this is about the 147th year in a row Auburn can't get reliable bullpen arms.  Such is the state of the conference right now.  No use whining about it, just got to compete.

FL beat up on Arky yesterday in a game eerily similar to what we are seeing out of Auburn today.  We can take Arky I think. And UK got beat up last weekend too. The SEC is just a wild ride. 

1 hour ago, SCTiger2011 said:

I think it’s a bit pessimistic to say we won’t even make the post-season. We find a way to win one game in those away series, all we will need to do is win two at home every weekend to get to 15 wins. I’d be willing to bet an sec team with 13 wins gets in and wouldn’t be surprised if a 12 win team that wins a game in the tournament makes it in. Meaning if we win 2 at home in each series the rest of the way, but don’t win a road game, we’ll get to eleven wins. I find it hard to believe we only win 2 of the remaining road series games, especially with Casey Mize throwing on Fridays. Sweeps will not be common in this league, but that includes us. 

1 hour ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think it’s a bit pessimistic to say we won’t even make the post-season. We find a way to win one game in those away series, all we will need to do is win two at home every weekend to get to 15 wins. I’d be willing to bet an sec team with 13 wins gets in and wouldn’t be surprised if a 12 win team that wins a game in the tournament makes it in. Meaning if we win 2 at home in each series the rest of the way, but don’t win a road game, we’ll get to eleven wins. I find it hard to believe we only win 2 of the remaining road series games, especially with Casey Mize throwing on Fridays. Sweeps will not be common in this league, but that includes us. 

With Mize pitching Auburn has an excellent chance of taking 2 out of 3 games in every series they play. Home or away.

13-3. And AU with 3 hits and 2 errors....some bad baseball against what is supposed to be the bottom of their pitching staff.  I thought there were more than two errors but a couple mis-plays were not charged I guess

15 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

These guys have got to figure out how to hit against sec pitchers. 

This is what has scared me since before SEC play started.  Our pre-conference opponents were not overall good pitching teams and I think that may be biting us a little.  The two good pitchers we did face before SEC play ate us up.

12 hours ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

The goal has to be win 10 games in the seven series against the other really good clubs in the SEC and then win the series against MSU, Bama, and Mizzou.  Do that and you go 16-14 in conference, which I would take right now and walk away if offered.

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Say it ain't so!!!! I thought our new coach knew better than to waste an out on a sacrifice. DANG! Let's hope this is nothing but a temporary brain fart. The ghost of Coach Paw haunting the AU dugout one last time or some similar aberration.

I'm not sure that was a called sac bunt. It functioned as one, but I think Ward was trying to bunt for a hit. The 3B was playing back a little, but he didn't get it far enough away from the pitcher. Ward still made it a really close play, but in hindsight, they probably want him swinging away right there.

11 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

@Brad_ATX a sweep last week wouldve been huge. Need to take three from some teams

It would certainly be nice, but that also looks to be a bit unrealistic this year with the strength of the league.  If we are gonna sweep, one has to be this coming weekend against Mizzou at home.

The brutality of the schedule is off the charts.  We are 9th in today's BA poll, yet four of our remaining eight SEC opponents are ranked higher than us.  Throw in a series against #21 LSU too and that makes 15 games left against ranked clubs.  That's insane and puts even more pressure on us to win 6-7 games vs Bama, MSU, and Mizzou.  That schedule is also why I think our ceiling is about 16 SEC wins.

Archived