Concerned about our lead off hitter (Draper)

Wildling raises an interesting question that had also occurred to me;  what to do with Makenna when Taylon heals.  I think she's going to have to sit and wait her turn.  Taylon was not the #1 or 2 recruit in the nation for nothing.  She is the best pure hitter on the team, in terms of vision, mechanics, and bat control.  She will be back at short when she gets well.  Dowell has certainly opened some eyes with her performance this weekend, though.  I see her pinch hitting more, and relieving Veach at third when the latter catches.  And she may have just stepped ahead of Crocker in the "line of ascension".

You could consider moving Dowell or McCrackin to LF when Snow returns. Or move Veach back to 1B, Dowell or McCrackin to 3B, and rotate Perry and Tannon at DP. Perry, Podany, and Tannon have the 3 lowest BAs in SEC play. So shuffling them around to get Dowell's bat in the lineup wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

Hitting has not been there the past 2 seasons in sec play. Especially this year though without fagan, coop and wallace. It will be our downfall in the post season. Deans specialty and where he has buttered his bread in his career is with defense and pitching. We have championship level defense (when we are not making simple errors) and pitching to win it all. Our bats are not anywhere close to championship level. Dean wants to play small ball and that is fine. Problem is you have to actually get on base to be able to do that and in sec play that is not happening with much frequency at all. I shudder to think where we would be this season without our pitching. It has carried us all year but especially the last 2 series. 

16 minutes ago, boomstick said:

You could consider moving Dowell or McCrackin to LF when Snow returns. Or move Veach back to 1B, Dowell or McCrackin to 3B, and rotate Perry and Tannon at DP. Perry, Podany, and Tannon have the 3 lowest BAs in SEC play. So shuffling them around to get Dowell's bat in the lineup wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

I think McCrackin is too good exactly where she is. I haven't thought through a good solution for this dilemma, but then I'm not at practices with them. I do know that if a position is getting outstanding defensive play from a solid hitter, you look elsewhere to make adjustments.

21 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think McCrackin is too good exactly where she is. I haven't thought through a good solution for this dilemma, but then I'm not at practices with them. I do know that if a position is getting outstanding defensive play from a solid hitter, you look elsewhere to make adjustments.

Agree Mikey - McCrakin needs to stay at second.  I see her talking/coaching first and short during games.  Need her experience on the right side of the infield.

Archived