Any Coach Flo news?

GwillMac6

I was hoping with a new AD that a change would be made and we would make a hire that would be able to restore the rich and great tradition our program has. Wasn't she on the last year of her contract as well? I thought if they were going to retain her we would of heard some news on a new contract as well.

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

I’m curious as well. I like Coach Flo, but I’m afraid a change needs to be made sooner rather than later.

It is rather strange we have not heard any news either way. Either them coming out in support of her or letting her go.

A new contract?  She got a new contract last year. That is the main reason that she will return for another season.  While it is true that she has the best recruiting class she has ever had coming in, we haven't seen anything to suggest that the style of play this staff coaches can actually be competitive in the SEC.  There are great candidates around the country that would love the opportunity to lead this program. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck in status quo for the time being.

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

A new contract?  She got a new contract last year. That is the main reason that she will return for another season.  While it is true that she has the best recruiting class she has ever had coming in, we haven't seen anything to suggest that the style of play this staff coaches can actually be competitive in the SEC.  There are great candidates around the country that would love the opportunity to lead this program. Unfortunately, we seem to be stuck in status quo for the time being.

Appreciate the info. I had no clue she got a new deal. 

9 hours ago, AU9377 said:

That new contract might no be too much of a hindrance if Greene wants to make a change.  

I'm thinking that with the tournament still under way, there might be someone out there who could be interested and only recently free to talk.       We are just too far behind the mainstream of our conference and for me at least, I have seen nothing to make me believe that better things are ahead with her as coach.    I'm still of the opinion that this was her last year.

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

we could just about fire every head coach auburn has and not add up to our football coach buyouts (hyperbole much?).  contracts are just a dollar figure.

That's about right...Bruce makes a real salary but the other HC salaries  are more in line with what assistant football coaches get paid....law of supply and demand...

10 hours ago, AU64 said:

That new contract might no be too much of a hindrance if Greene wants to make a change.  

I'm thinking that with the tournament still under way, there might be someone out there who could be interested and only recently free to talk.       We are just too far behind the mainstream of our conference and for me at least, I have seen nothing to make me believe that better things are ahead with her as coach.    I'm still of the opinion that this was her last year.

Yeah, how about that Geno Auriemma guy?  He seems to be pretty good.  ?   ?

Could you imagine that buzz and basketball hysteria? Geno and Bruce leading our basketball programs. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

I wish.  While its true that some assistant football coaches make what she makes salary wise, Auburn isn't about to pay her $650,000  and staff salaries next year to not coach.  Auburn pays her very well.  She is getting top tier SEC pay for bottom tier performance. We should have made a change last year, but that is water under the bridge at this point.  She has two 5 stars signed. I'm in agreement that things aren't likely to get better, but I just don't see them making a move this year with that kind of money on the line.

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I wish.  While its true that some assistant football coaches make what she makes salary wise, Auburn isn't about to pay her $650,000  and staff salaries next year to not coach.  Auburn pays her very well.  She is getting top tier SEC pay for bottom tier performance. We should have made a change last year, but that is water under the bridge at this point.  She has two 5 stars signed. I'm in agreement that things aren't likely to get better, but I just don't see them making a move this year with that kind of money on the line.

You are probably right but money should not be the deciding factor.   Team is doing poorly and attendance has been awful.  A winning coach could pay her own way.JMO.

11 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

we could just about fire every head coach auburn has and not add up to our football coach buyouts (hyperbole much?).  contracts are just a dollar figure.

They are just dollar figures, until you are broke. I don't disagree with your sentiment, but to play devil's advocate, football brings in approx $75 million to the athletic department every year.  Women's basketball loses around $3 million. 

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

You are probably right but money should not be the deciding factor.   Team is doing poorly and attendance has been awful.  A winning coach could pay her own way.JMO.

We both agree that change is overdue.

30 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

WOW! we really have 2 five star signed?! HOW?! What have they seen from the direction of the program under flo that would make them want to come here? DO not get me wrong I am happy just perplexed.

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

WOW! we really have 2 five star signed?! HOW?! What have they seen from the direction of the program under flo that would make them want to come here? DO not get me wrong I am happy just perplexed.

I'm wondering too....some time ago I was looking at the list of best female HS basketball players in the state and about everyone one of them was going out of state to play.. We don't get much in the way of facts about women's sports and I understand she had a good class last year....but having watched them play some games I'm more concerned about the quality of play and coaching than I was about talent.  No doubt there are some good frosh this year but the Jones sisters for example never advanced much after 4 years under her. 

I think it was last year that Coach Flo signed a 5* player from the Midwest. Kid came for a few weeks and left. That could have been two seasons past. Let's hope this year's class doesn't do the same. In any case, I've been ready for a change for some time now.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Sounds suspicious to me GMac.:headscratch:

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

According to hoopgurlz, we have two 5* guards signed, both from Georgia. This needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They have 96  5* players listed, which is a very, very excessive number compared to what we are accustomed to seeing in other sports. Our two are # 17 and 41. http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

To our normal way of thinking, one of these is probably a solid 4* and the other a high 3*.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

According to hoopgurlz, we have two 5* guards signed, both from Georgia. This needs to be taken with a grain of salt. They have 96  5* players listed, which is a very, very excessive number compared to what we are accustomed to seeing in other sports. Our two are # 17 and 41. http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2018

To our normal way of thinking, one of these is probably a solid 4* and the other a high 3*.

The other problem.....guards.....NO height, look at MSU, USCe, UConn they all have height and dominate inside.

On 3/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

The other problem.....guards.....NO height, look at MSU, USCe, UConn they all have height and dominate inside.

Yep...by and large female players are not jumpers.. ..so pure height dominates on offense and defense....and we need a few shooters.

We need somebody like McCowan (sp?) at MissState.  That girl dominates the boards.  She missed a shot that likely would have won the NC game against ND but still she was a force.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Yep...by and large female players are not jumpers.. ..so pure height dominates on offense and defense....and we need a few shooters.

So the question is why don't we train them to jump?  Some do jump.  I never understood that some of these tall women couldn't dunk.  Is it a matter of not training to jump or the fact that there is such a difference.  I don't believe it would be a physical thing but more of a training thing.

Archived