Any Coach Flo news?

GwillMac6

3 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

So the question is why don't we train them to jump?  Some do jump.  I never understood that some of these tall women couldn't dunk.  Is it a matter of not training to jump or the fact that there is such a difference.  I don't believe it would be a physical thing but more of a training thing.

I have no idea but it might be something physical.    As long as women have been playing high level basketball there have been maybe two or three who have managed a dunk in an ball game.   Just noticing that the game is basically played at floor level and most female players jump about as well as I do.  SO....if you want a lot of rebounds you need at least one player who is  6'-5 or more and has a wingspan. 

The MSU center is listed at 6-7" but looks taller compared to most of their competition and owns the boards by just standing under the basket. 

The #1 female recruit in the nation (signed with UConn, go figure) dunked during the Boys McDonalds All American Slam dunk competition. With ease I might add!

39 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The #1 female recruit in the nation (signed with UConn, go figure) dunked during the Boys McDonalds All American Slam dunk competition. With ease I might add!

Thanks...6'-5" ....nice dunk..but still a rare thing.

3 hours ago, penguin149 said:

We need somebody like McCowan (sp?) at MissState.  That girl dominates the boards.  She missed a shot that likely would have won the NC game against ND but still she was a force.

McCowan in my estimation is a bad basketball player. She just happens to have monster size. She has slow feet, little to no actual athleticism, below average spatial awareness, and slow anticipation. I watched the Semi Final game vs Louisville where she completely destroyed a Louisville player going for a winning layup, but the ref for some reason swallowed the whistle.

But I agree with your sentiment re: having a big Amazon to clean the glass all game long.

19 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

McCowan in my estimation is a bad basketball player. She just happens to have monster size. She has slow feet, little to no actual athleticism, below average spatial awareness, and slow anticipation. I watched the Semi Final game vs Louisville where she completely destroyed a Louisville player going for a winning layup, but the ref for some reason swallowed the whistle.

But I agree with your sentiment re: having a big Amazon to clean the glass all game long.

ND handled her pretty well.  I agree that most of the women bigs are just bigs.  Few have good skills.  I don't if that is due to development or what but one would think that nut could or would have been cracked by now.  The video of the girl dunking earlier in this thread.  She is what 6-5 and barely elevates above the rim. Great that she can dunk but would like to see it in the game.  How many bigs shoot outside of the paint in the women's game?  I have not seen that many but there are many guys that do.  I tend to think this is a development issue overall.  again just my two cents.

I was told that she had recruited well enough to get another year.     Hopefully this will turn around quickly.

33 minutes ago, boisgreat said:

I was told that she had recruited well enough to get another year.     Hopefully this will turn around quickly.

That's discouraging news.

14 hours ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

ND handled her pretty well.  I agree that most of the women bigs are just bigs.  Few have good skills.  I don't if that is due to development or what but one would think that nut could or would have been cracked by now.  The video of the girl dunking earlier in this thread.  She is what 6-5 and barely elevates above the rim. Great that she can dunk but would like to see it in the game.  How many bigs shoot outside of the paint in the women's game?  I have not seen that many but there are many guys that do.  I tend to think this is a development issue overall.  again just my two cents.

Agree...for the most part, height and long arms are about all it takes to be a force on defense and rebounding.  Until that changes, we need one of them too.  

The player from South Carolina,  A'ja Wilson is 6'-5 and is about the most athletic big player I've seen in women's basketball.....runs well, shoots well and balls don't have to fall into her hands for her to get rebounds......but not many like her.   

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

Agree...for the most part, height and long arms are about all it takes to be a force on defense and rebounding.  Until that changes, we need one of them too.  

The player from South Carolina,  A'ja Wilson is 6'-5 and is about the most athletic big player I've seen in women's basketball.....runs well, shoots well and balls don't have to fall into her hands for her to get rebounds......but not many like her.   

I was thinking about it today and think that the best jumpers and somewhat taller women compete in volleyball and since their seasons overlap they may choose volleyball.

4 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

I was thinking about it today and think that the best jumpers and somewhat taller women compete in volleyball and since their seasons overlap they may choose volleyball.

Interesting.....took a look at our roster and not a single volleyball player from Alabama....and they are not as tall as I expected...a couple at 6'-1 or 6'-2 but at AU, didn't see anyone who could automatically help us out.....but that might be a place to find some walk-ons.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:05 PM, Mikey said:

That's discouraging news.

Maybe...   I just hope it is the right push to turn things around.     Either way we are an Equestrian School so it doesn't really matter.  :Sing:

On 4/3/2018 at 8:57 PM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

So the question is why don't we train them to jump?  Some do jump.  I never understood that some of these tall women couldn't dunk.  Is it a matter of not training to jump or the fact that there is such a difference.  I don't believe it would be a physical thing but more of a training thing.

Our style of play is the problem.  We press the entire game.  We play defense and believe that by forcing a high number of turnovers, our offensive attempts will be at such a high number that a low shooting percentage will still produce enough points to win most games. We don't recruit tall post players for the most part because they aren't as fast we like them to be. 

In many leagues this style of play would guarantee a strong winning percentage.  By causing confusion on the court and making people uncomfortable, less athletic teams will lose focus and make mistakes, allowing the pressing team to convert turnovers into points.  The SEC is more talented than most leagues and therefore this style of play isn't effective against top tier SEC teams.

On 4/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, auburn4ever said:

Who would you like to see replacing Flo?

My short list:

1.  Karl Smesko... Head Coach Florida Gulf Coast Univ.

Division I Honors
Kay Yow National Coach of the Year (2012)
• espnW Mid-Major Coach of the Year (2016)
• Seven-time ASUN Coach of the Year (2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
• Seven ASUN Regular Season Championships (2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
• Four ASUN Tournament Championship (2012, 2014, 2015, 2017)
• Four NCAA Tournament Appearances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2017)
• Ten Consecutive Postseason Tournament Appearances

2.  Holly Warlick.... should Tennessee want to make a change next year. Its hard to follow a legend.

• Her victory total in her first four years as a head coach (108) was the seventh all-time in NCAA Division I women's basketball history
  • She is only the second person in NCAA Division I women's basketball to direct her team to the Elite Eight in three of her first four years as a head coach
  • Led UT to 2015 & 2013 SEC regular season championships
  • Guided Tennessee to 2014 SEC Tournament championship
  • Served on coaching staff for gold-medal-winning 2015 USA Basketball World University Games Team
  • Selected as 2017 Tennessee Woman of Distinction at the 32nd Annual Chattanooga Women of Distinction Awards luncheon
  • Named 2013 Spalding Maggie Dixon Division I Rookie Coach of the Year
  • Named 2013 SEC Coach of the Year
  • Named 2013 TSWA Coach of the Year and Volscars Women's Team Coach of the Year

3.  Kellie Harper - current head coach at Missouri State

She was the runner-up in the last search.

On 4/4/2018 at 7:14 PM, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Notre Dame didn't have an answer for her.  MS State outplayed ND the entire game.  They certainly didn't handle her well at all.

Meanwhile I see on al.com today that the top female basketball player in the state....a 5* is going to Rutgers.     I guess maybe there is a good reason but just wondering how we could not attract her to AU? .....against Rutgers? 

On 4/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, auburn4ever said:

Who would you like to see replacing Flo?

someone familiar with women's college basketball and coaching is my hope.  how about you?

8 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

someone familiar with women's college basketball and coaching is my hope.  how about you?

From a practical standpoint....if it were to be done in time for the coming season, when would the decision have to be made?      Seems like time's a wasting.

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

From a practical standpoint....if it were to be done in time for the coming season, when would the decision have to be made?      Seems like time's a wasting.

The decision would have already been made.  The decision would have been made in the same time frame as Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Clemson and other power 5 openings.  There is no decision forthcoming.  There was never even a debate.  The total cost would have been over $2 million and likely closer to $3 million when you include paying the staff.  Bruce Pearl will insist that when she is let go that it is done with as much good will as possible due to her family connections with AAU Basketball.  She is also the only minority coach of a major sport.  All of those things come into play.

5 hours ago, AU9377 said:

The decision would have already been made.  The decision would have been made in the same time frame as Ole Miss, Texas Tech, Clemson and other power 5 openings.  There is no decision forthcoming.  There was never even a debate.  The total cost would have been over $2 million and likely closer to $3 million when you include paying the staff.  Bruce Pearl will insist that when she is let go that it is done with as much good will as possible due to her family connections with AAU Basketball.  She is also the only minority coach of a major sport.  All of those things come into play.

Not being pick Coach Spry  track coach is is a minority but I know what you mean and totally agree with you coach Flo ain't going anywhere for now

Archived