Rhett comments on his departure

WFE12

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think we all knew the reason.  It also answers questions about the Lindsey Offense we saw last season. 

Are you inferring that it was bad or good?  Within the conference we finished 2nd in total yds, 3rd in passing yards, 4th in rushing yds and 4th in scoring.  While there is some room for improvement, I think it was a pretty good first year for Chip.

The sooner our fans realize CGM is an offensive coach running his show with his men and that he is tied to a very lucrative multi-year contract at AU the better off they will be.  Give up to notion that he will ever take a hands-off approach while he is the HC.  Forget him ever trusting someone else to take full control of the offense, he will never give it up, he will always orchestrate and direct it according to his philosophy.  I'm fine with it! :Sing:

5 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Are you inferring that it was bad or good?  Within the conference we finished 2nd in total yds, 3rd in passing yards, 4th in rushing yds and 4th in scoring.  While there is some room for improvement, I think it was a pretty good first year for Chip.

I am pretty sure he was inferring to the fact that it was more a Gus offense with some added innovation from Chip, particularly in passing yardage. People don't have to always get so defensive for our coaches. Their resume speaks for itself.

42 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I think we all knew the reason.  It also answers questions about the Lindsey Offense we saw last season. 

Whoa,whoa, whoa...LAST YEAR'S OFFENSE SET RECORDS!

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am pretty sure he was inferring to the fact that it was more a Gus offense with some added innovation from Chip, particularly in passing yardage. People don't have to always get so defensive for our coaches. Their resume speaks for itself.

As an OC. I would never put on my resume that Gus was my HC because everyone know that Gus run the O.

wde

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

Neither.  I was referring to the fact that it was Gus's offense with a few Lindsey tweaks.  I would like to see Chip incorporate more of his quick routes, TE targets and crossing routes into the offense (with Gus's approval of course).  I would also like to see us substitute RBs more often.  

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Whoa,whoa, whoa...LAST YEAR'S OFFENSE SET RECORDS!

And we still lost 4 games!

14 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

The Clemson and LSU games are on Gus. Praise that all you want.

48 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

So was the SECCG and the bowl game.

wde

36 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

So was the SECCG and the bowl game.

wde

And the ten wins were on _______(fill in the blanks, anybody but Gus). :thumbsdown:

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

And the ten wins were on _______(fill in the blanks, anybody but Gus). :thumbsdown:

Whoop for the 10 wins.  Win a championship against a team we beat handily in the regular season. I suppose you are content with winning the SEC West while wetting the bed in the SECCG?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

I will and then I will give credit to Gus for the GA and AL regular season games.

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I will and then I will give credit to Gus for the GA and AL regular season games.

As will I other than running KJ into the ground.

wde

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Yup. It's laughable that people refuse to accept the differences in our offensive performances based on Gus's involvement in the play calling.

Game 1, we put up 41 points on Ga Southern. Yay.
Game 2, we put up 6 points and 116 total yards of offense against Clemson. (Setting records, baby! Only-regular-season-SEC-games scoring champs!)
Game 3, Rhett moves up to the box where he's always called games and where most OCs call games and Herb Hand moves back down to the sidelines, where almost all position coaches are. We put up 24 points against Mercer. Yikes. Except we managed that with over 500 yards of offense and 5 turnovers. Now, what effect does Chip moving up to the box have? We can't know for sure, but it means that it's his eyes in the sky and not Gus's buddy Herb's. That's a major deal. 
Games 4, 5, 6- Over 40 points a game against SEC competition.
Game 7- We put up 23 points against LSU... in the first half. Then Gus intentionally stops scoring points. He owned up to this after the game. This was absolutely a case of Gus calling the shots on offense and we absolutely lost because of it. 
Games 8-11- Over 40 points a game, including against the #1 team in the country
Game 12- Only 26 points against bama, but 400 yards of offense ain't bad.
Postseason- We can't function without KJ.

Game 1- The single most embarrassing offensive game plan that any of us have ever seen. Well, except maybe against Clemson the very next season.
Game 2- 51 points against Arkansas St. Yay.
Game 3- 16 points against TAMU.
Game 4- Two quotes sum this one up, I think:

“I’ve been really leaning towards that for two weeks now,” Malzahn said. “I’m turning it over to him. He’ll do a good job, I thought he did a fantastic job tonight. I need to be the head coach and that’s what I’m going to be. I’m looking forward to Rhett building this offense.”

Auburn reached the red zone 6 different times against LSU, which was the most the Tigers had since Lashlee called plays in the 2015 Texas A&M game. 

Games 5-8- The only time we don't go over 40 points is at Miss St, where we only score 38.
Game 6- This is where injuries change the script. Sean is hurt, and we don't have a viable backup QB. KJ is also hurt, and KP gets hurt in this game. We escape with a 23 point win.
Games 7 and beyond- We're playing with no QB and either no RBs or no RBs that Gus is willing to play with for the rest of the season.

Summary: For 2 years in a row, Gus's role on game day changed majorly and we immediately saw vast improvement in the offense. It's undeniable.

15 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

It's a bit disconcerting that an Auburn beat writer just came across something that I know was posted here months ago.

really? The hacks have these type stories about Auburn on file and are told to run them to create a negative vibe.

"need something today about Auburn to get clicks, what you got? We got 10 Alabama fluff pieces I need one about Auburn." Hurry Up!

It could from last week or 10 years ago. They usually show up when there are 4-5 positive uat articles about nothing but made into major headline.

3 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

really? The hacks have these type stories about Auburn on file and are told to run them to create a negative vibe.

"need something today about Auburn to get clicks, what you got? We got 10 Alabama fluff pieces I need one about Auburn." Hurry Up!

It could from last week or 10 years ago. They usually show up when there are 4-5 positive uat articles about nothing but made into major headline.

Ferguson isn't one of the hacks. It's not like he works for AL.com. He tends to be very pro-Auburn. This smells like laziness far more than it smells like conspiracy.

Auburn got to 10 wins for the first time in 4 yrs, beat their two biggest rivals, and won the SECWest and was able to hang a banner to show off the accomplishment to future recruits.  Those accomplishments not only solidified CGM's job, but the staff as well - and that's a good thing.  I'm grateful that we aren't having to break in an entirely new coaching staff with new schemes, philosophies, personalities, etc.  Now all CGM has to do it keep moving in a positive direction, show some consistency and get this team to a 10+ win season this year. 

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Auburn got to 10 wins for the first time in 4 yrs, beat their two biggest, and won the SECWest and was able to hang a banner to show off the accomplishment to future recruits.  Those accomplishments not only solidified CGM's job, but the staff as well - and that's a good thing.  I'm grateful that we aren't having to break in an entirely new coaching staff with new schemes, philosophies, personalities, etc.  Now all CGM has to do it keep moving in a positive direction, show some consistency and get this team to a 10+ win season this year. 

Don't disagree with any of this. Definitely happy we still have Gus and am optimistic for our future with him in charge. But when folks say that our offense has been consistently great and it's all because of Gus's in-game genius... that's just a lot of silly and wrong. 

@GwillMac6 said it perfectly long time ago. We hired an offensive genius, and what we have now is a guy who would be a head coaching genius if he would just let a good OC do his job. We've seen that happen at times over the last couple seasons. We just need it to stick. And I think it might this season. He trusts Chip now and he has a QB. Maybe even 2 QBs. Anything can happen, and we've had justifiable optimism disappear like a 20 point lead plenty of times, but at least the variables are different going into this season. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Don't disagree with any of this. Definitely happy we still have Gus and am optimistic for our future with him in charge. But when folks say that our offense has been consistently great and it's all because of Gus's in-game genius... that's just a lot of silly and wrong. 

@GwillMac6 said it perfectly long time ago. We hired an offensive genius, and what we have now is a guy who would be a head coaching genius if he would just let a good OC do his job. We've seen that happen at times over the last couple seasons. We just need it to stick. And I think it might this season. He trusts Chip now and he has a QB. Maybe even 2 QBs. Anything can happen, and we've had justifiable optimism disappear like a 20 point lead plenty of times, but at least the variables are different going into this season. 

I'm not sure folks are saying the offense has been consistently great though.....No one with an ounce of football knowledge could make that statement and stand firmly behind it because it is completely wrong on so many fronts.  Consistency has been lacking at Auburn for damn near a decade.  Maybe the time has come when we will see some consistent 10 win seasons from this group of coaches?  The foundation is solid, the depth is there, the coaches are more experienced/seasoned and every one of them knows their job......just getting out of the "on the job training" phase is huge IMO.

I think people (myself included) have come to the realization that the past seasons are in the past and for sanity's sake it's best to move on.  I don't ever expect the day to come when Gus totally relinquishes his hold on the AU offense, why would he?  Offense is in his blood, it's what got him the HC job at a P5 program in a power conference. 

I'll not vehemently defend Gus and gloss over his deficiencies, I'll not perform mental gymnastics to make him appear to be a better head coach when I know the buck stops with him and the success or failure of his team falls on his shoulders, I'll not create a myriad of excuses every time the team falls short .  But at the same time, I've resolved myself to the fact that he's here to stay for a long while - I intend to make the best of it and party my ass off once the season kicks off.

Archived