Rhett comments on his departure

WFE12

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm not sure folks are saying the offense has been consistently great though.....No one with an ounce of football knowledge could make that statement and stand firmly behind it because it is completely wrong on so many fronts.  Consistency has been lacking at Auburn for damn near a decade.  Maybe the time has come when we will see some consistent 10 win seasons from this group of coaches?  The foundation is solid, the depth is there, the coaches are more experienced/seasoned and every one of them knows their job......just getting out of the "on the job training" phase is huge IMO.

I think people (myself included) have come to the realization that the past seasons are in the past and for sanity's sake it's best to move on.  I don't ever expect the day to come when Gus totally relinquishes his hold on the AU offense, why would he?  Offense is in his blood, it's what got him the HC job at a P5 program in a power conference. 

I'll not vehemently defend Gus and gloss over his deficiencies, I'll not perform mental gymnastics to make him appear to be a better head coach when I know the buck stops with him and the success or failure of his team falls on his shoulders, I'll not create a myriad of excuses every time the team falls short .  But at the same time, I've resolved myself to the fact that he's here to stay for a long while - I intend to make the best of it and party my ass off once the season kicks off.

@keesler! Get this board fired up on an offseason Wednesday morning! 

Regarding offensive success, I'll say that there's an "if it ain't broke don't fix it... like, don't even try to improve it" faction and leave it at that. I didn't take your post as such.

And yes, definitely, Gus needs to stay involved in every facet of the team. It's the level of involvement in question. It's not an all-or-nothing thing. Again, I know you get that, but some don't. That's where a lot of that conversation comes from, IMO. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

The good news was that we got to play 14 of them!

It doesn’t matter. Perfection or bust. ?

• WarTiger changed the title to Rhett comments on his departure
16 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Rhett seems to be mis-remembering things, lol.

Maybe Papa Gus softened the message to him.  That's the better message for both he and Gus anyway...it removes the "failure" aspect of the situation.

16 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Maybe Papa Gus softened the message to him.  That's the better message for both he and Gus anyway...it removes the "failure" aspect of the situation.

Agree, but that is not how it went down.

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agree, but that is not how it went down.

Let them know how it happened. That might help.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:23 AM, keesler said:

I'm not sure folks are saying the offense has been consistently great though.....No one with an ounce of football knowledge could make that statement and stand firmly behind it because it is completely wrong on so many fronts.  Consistency has been lacking at Auburn for damn near a decade.  Maybe the time has come when we will see some consistent 10 win seasons from this group of coaches?  The foundation is solid, the depth is there, the coaches are more experienced/seasoned and every one of them knows their job......just getting out of the "on the job training" phase is huge IMO.

I think people (myself included) have come to the realization that the past seasons are in the past and for sanity's sake it's best to move on.  I don't ever expect the day to come when Gus totally relinquishes his hold on the AU offense, why would he?  Offense is in his blood, it's what got him the HC job at a P5 program in a power conference. 

I'll not vehemently defend Gus and gloss over his deficiencies, I'll not perform mental gymnastics to make him appear to be a better head coach when I know the buck stops with him and the success or failure of his team falls on his shoulders, I'll not create a myriad of excuses every time the team falls short .  But at the same time, I've resolved myself to the fact that he's here to stay for a long while - I intend to make the best of it and party my ass off once the season kicks off.

Serious question. Not arguing or trolling you. What offense has been consistently great or consistent at all? Besides turds in sec.

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, keesler said:

The sooner our fans realize CGM is an offensive coach running his show with his men and that he is tied to a very lucrative multi-year contract at AU the better off they will be.  Give up to notion that he will ever take a hands-off approach while he is the HC.  Forget him ever trusting someone else to take full control of the offense, he will never give it up, he will always orchestrate and direct it according to his philosophy.  I'm fine with it! :Sing:

Name any OC or DC for that matter who becomes HC and just lets his coordinator run the show.   

It's a pipe dream to think that Gus, or Petrino or Smart or Nick......name whoever you like.....is gonna let an underling run the show without input from the boss.  . 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Name any OC or DC for that matter who becomes HC and just lets his coordinator run the show.   

It's a pipe dream to think that Gus, or Petrino or Smart or Nick......name whoever you like.....is gonna let an underling run the show without input from the boss.  . 

Sigh. Again with the all or nothing. I'll never understand it. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Gus doesn't mess with Steele. It happens. 

The problem with Gus is consistency and adversity on O.  He is stubborn to a fault. See the LSU and SECCG gamers for examples. Gus didn't change anything up to mess with uga in the SECCG. Kirby changed everything up. This right here should have everyone concerned.  If a plan dosen't work on O, Gus has shown he can't or won't adjust.  

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The problem with Gus is consistency and adversity on O.  He is stubborn to a fault. See the LSU and SECCG gamers for examples. Gus didn't change anything up to mess with uga in the SECCG. Kirby changed everything up. This right here should have everyone concerned.  If a plan dosen't work on O, Gus has shown he can't or won't adjust.  

C'mon....that proves nothing......Gus is an offensive coach.....coaches tend to stick with what they are brought up with and what gets them promoted through the ranks....surely you have noticed that....especially offensive coaches.

Not defending Gus....just noting what goes on out there in football land ....not just at AU.

51 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sigh. Again with the all or nothing. I'll never understand it. 

and sigh....a comment made without really understanding what the point was.....

Just now, AU64 said:

and sigh....a comment made without really understanding what the point was.....

Actually, you're right. I misunderstood. My apologies.

Dang. 3 times I've done that in 2 days. Emmmmbarrassing. 

I really like Rhett. I think he is going to be one heck of a coach and that stretch where he was allowed his input, we looked pretty dang good. Getting away was the best thing for his career.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

What offense has been consistently great or consistent at all? Besides turds in sec.

?  bama lives and dies by their defense. They've never had a stellar or truly consistent offense. Heck, a couple of years ago, their D scored like 1/3 (not checking the stats, so that could be high or low) of their points.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I can think of additional painfully obvious games where he refused to adapt:

Clemson 2017: Ran a 50% Pettway 22 times. Kam Martin never saw the field

Mercer 2017: Injured Pettway 34 carries against MERCER, Kam Martin never sees the field

UGA 2016: An injured Sean White plays the entire game.

I realize injuries to key personnel are devastating, however the game plan's never shifted away from those injured players, and instead Gus kept doing the usual as if they're healthy.

2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Gus was known for innovating an offense.   The odd part was that he then became the problem like lots of coaches in that they become: "we do what we do because that is what we have always done" mentality.  I have heard for years that practices and especially fall camp is a problem area, yet he does the same thing every year and the team looks flat and he has no idea what he has to work with.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Gus was known for innovating an offense.   The odd part was that he then became the problem like lots of coaches in that they become: "we do what we do because that is what we have always done" mentality.  I have heard for years that practices and especially fall camp is a problem area, yet he does the same thing every year and the team looks flat and he has no idea what he has to work with.

I think it is a fair and constructive suggestion that he starting bringing in and/or visiting a more diverse group of his peers in order to learn and grow in the profession. I don't voice that as a criticism, as he's still not been at this all that long. But it does seem to be something that other, highly successful coaches do. 

Anyway, I agree with you. I want my coach to be curious, adaptable and forward-thinking. I've belabored my opinion by now, but I think Tubs was a visionary in trying to adopt the spread. He just fumbled the snap and didn't have any time left on the clock. (Wow, way to reference 2 really upsetting Auburn football things in one metaphor, McDoofus. Sorry, y'all.) 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Serious question. Not arguing or trolling you. What offense has been consistently great or consistent at all? Besides turds in sec.

Oklahoma's

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Richt

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think it is a fair and constructive suggestion that he starting bringing in and/or visiting a more diverse group of his peers in order to learn and grow in the profession. I don't voice that as a criticism, as he's still not been at this all that long. But it does seem to be something that other, highly successful coaches do.

The funny thing is that it is on the record that he has visited other coaches (other coaches who ended up fired/ostracized, but that's a completely different story). Makes you wonder what they talked about and if he attempted to implement any of that.

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I want my coach to be curious, adaptable and forward-thinking.

I agree. Sad thing is, those kinds of coaches seem to be few and far between. Harbaugh is definitely one, but he hasn't found the right formula. I think Lincoln Riley is probably the best of that category (and probably my favorite out there, barring the fact that I haven't followed him close enough to know his personality... because I kind of hate Oklahoma). I'm sure there are others out there, but the coaches who always seem to go the distance, and the older coaches always seem pretty stuck in their ways to me. Saban does Saban, Meyer does Meyer, Fisher does Fisher, Dabo does Dabo, etc. The one thing they all do VERY well is recruit to what they do.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The funny thing is that it is on the record that he has visited other coaches (other coaches who ended up fired/ostracized, but that's a completely different story).

Yeah, but it seems to have stayed in a particular circle. I want him to expand his mind. I want him to challenge his preconceived notions. I don't think he's going to get that with the Arts and Hughs of the world. He needs to get uncomfortable. 

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Saban does Saban

Vehemently disagree. Look at the Kiffin hire. Talk about getting uncomfortable. Also, saban is constantly bringing in different motivational experts, psychologists, etc.. People think he's just some old school dinosaur ramming bigger dudes through smaller dudes. He's extremely open-minded and forward-thinking. Remember, he's a Belichick disciple, and the Sleeveless Wonder is the most progressive, innovative coach in professional sports since Phil Jackson. And the best. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Vehemently disagree. Look at the Kiffin hire. Talk about getting uncomfortable. Also, saban is constantly bringing in different motivational experts, psychologists, etc.. People think he's just some old school dinosaur ramming bigger dudes through smaller dudes. He's extremely open-minded and forward-thinking. Remember, he's a Belichick disciple, and the Sleeveless Wonder is the most progressive, innovative coach in professional sports since Phil Jackson. And the best. 

I would totally agree with you if he didn't have one of the least cordial splits I've ever seen from an OC with Kiffen and turn around and hire one of the most power run focused OCs I've ever researched. Also, even with Kiffen running his O, his D was still providing a good chunk of his scoring and the reason behind every win. 

Archived