37 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

We have been down that road enough!!!!

Yes, but maybe this time it will stick

giphy.gif

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would totally agree with you if he didn't have one of the least cordial splits I've ever seen from an OC with Kiffen and turn around and hire one of the most power run focused OCs I've ever researched. Also, even with Kiffen running his O, his D was still providing a good chunk of his scoring and the reason behind every win. 

We scored 44 on that defense. Kiffin scored 55 and was calling touchdowns before the ball was thrown. But that was just an example and not the whole story, just like the next guy was just an example and not the whole story. 

I'm telling you. saban is ALWAYS looking around the bend and Gus would do well to follow suit. 

3 hours ago, alexava said:

Serious question. Not arguing or trolling you. What offense has been consistently great or consistent at all? Besides turds in sec.

There aren't many in the college game that have been consistently great, I think it's because offenses can't stay stagnant in order to succeed at a high level.  Defenses pick up on offensive schemes too quickly for an offense to stay steady and consistent year over year.  Hell, there's been so much coaching turnover in this conference alone in the last 10 yrs that no team has been able to be consistently stellar.  The key is to have a man at the helm that is willing to evolve, adjust, and make changes to keep his offense fresh and one step ahead of the defenses.  

I have some connections close to Chip in the high school coaching ranks.  Word is he has said if he had it to do over he would never work under an offensive minded HC that is so paranoid about turning loose of the reigns.

1 minute ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I have some connections close to Chip in the high school coaching ranks.  Word is he has said if he had it to do over he would never work under an offensive minded HC that is so paranoid about turning loose of the reigns.

Who would when the HC doesn't let you call for a single crossing pattern or slant when the defense is giving it while your QB takes 11 sacks? I bet he learned that about himself about 2 weeks into the season lol

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

?  bama lives and dies by their defense. They've never had a stellar or truly consistent offense. Heck, a couple of years ago, their D scored like 1/3 (not checking the stats, so that could be high or low) of their points.

When a team maintains a scoring average of 36 pts/game for 10 consecutive years, it gets the job done.  They've never fielded a team in that time that averaged less than 32pts/game in a single season.  Offense/Defense/Special Teams, who cares how you put points on the score board as long as the team annually competes for championships?

Hell, I'd take team that shares the load and doesn't put all the pressure on the offense to score points any day over a team that's so one dimensional that when the QB/Oline/Rbs have an off day or an injury, the the whole game is shot to the curb.

20 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

Sad as it sounds, I believe you.

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We scored 44 on that defense. Kiffin scored 55 and was calling touchdowns before the ball was thrown. But that was just an example and not the whole story, just like the next guy was just an example and not the whole story. 

I'm telling you. saban is ALWAYS looking around the bend and Gus would do well to follow suit. 

That is why he will go down as one of the greatest of all times. In anything you always got be forward thinking and if you are a manager , you should want individuals around you who are excellent minds, the type who know more than you in their specific field. IMO, the thing that will hold Gus back is his inability to be forward . He will go down as very impactful to the game, he is a good coach, but that is all he will ever be if he doesn’t continue to evolve.

45 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I would totally agree with you if he didn't have one of the least cordial splits I've ever seen from an OC with Kiffen and turn around and hire one of the most power run focused OCs I've ever researched. Also, even with Kiffen running his O, his D was still providing a good chunk of his scoring and the reason behind every win. 

Hold up....you make this sound like a bad thing.?.?

There's nothing wrong with putting points on the board and it's damn sure not a knock on the HC when he has the vision and ability to field a team where all three phases of the game can score at a high level.  To be able to do it on a consistent basis year in and year out and keep your team in championship contention every damn year is the mark of an elite coach.

1 minute ago, keesler said:

Hold up....you make this sound like a bad thing.?.?

There's nothing wrong with putting points on the board and it's damn sure not a knock on the HC when he has the vision and ability to field a team where all three phases of the game can score at a high level.  To be able to do it on a consistent basis year in and year out and keep your team in championship contention every damn year is the mark of an elite coach.

You're missing the total point of the conversation. What I'm pointing out is Saban does Saban. He did his little experiment with Kiffen, did not let Kiffen do what he really wanted to do, they butted heads, he got rid of him, and went back to what he is most comfortable with, a coach who will focus on running the ball. What he's comfortable with works, I'm not saying it doesn't, but I don't buy him as a great innovator. I'm in the camp that, if he didn't have the serious recruiting edge that he has, he'd be back to his LSU record and not his unprecedented run, because he doesn't do anything spectacular in his game planning or in-game management. He just gets the best players available and gets them all working toward the same goal. If he continues to not pull in the #1 class, like this year, it will be interesting to see if the dynasty falters.

So Saban can win with what’s comfortable and also what’s not comfortable with him?! Dang. Anyways i think it always depends on the HC personality. All I will say is look at Saban’s disciples? How have they done in the coaching ranks? And not just him. I am sure there are a few others who let their coordinators grow and you see it in how it all plays out in their careers. I think that is vastly important and any HC should want that with their coordinators. I really do commend Rhett though for what it seems like taking a higher road.

36 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

This is a pretty substantial comment. Not sure if it's allowed in here, but it's an eye-popper to say the least.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Richt

You mean the former coach at UGa   :)    

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You're missing the total point of the conversation. What I'm pointing out is Saban does Saban. He did his little experiment with Kiffen, did not let Kiffen do what he really wanted to do, they butted heads, he got rid of him, and went back to what he is most comfortable with, a coach who will focus on running the ball. What he's comfortable with works, I'm not saying it doesn't, but I don't buy him as a great innovator. I'm in the camp that, if he didn't have the serious recruiting edge that he has, he'd be back to his LSU record and not his unprecedented run, because he doesn't do anything spectacular in his game planning or in-game management. He just gets the best players available and gets them all working toward the same goal. If he continues to not pull in the #1 class, like this year, it will be interesting to see if the dynasty falters.

Who ever said Saban was a great innovator?  He understands and admits he's not the smartest or most knowledgeable coach in the profession, his ego does not retard his ability to trust and listen to others.  He's totally willing to make calculated changes, there have been a few "in-game management" decisions that have been crucial in wining a couple of those national titles.  If something is so obvious as the nose on your face isn't working in a game he doesn't force it over and over and over and then blame "lack of execution" as the reason the same old s#it didn't work.

People can make generalizations about all the if's/and's/but's.....of where he'd be "if" he was still at LSU, "if" he didn't have the recruiting edge and "if" he didn't haul in top talent.  At the end of the day, he is where he is and he's constantly revising the history books.

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Who ever said Saban was a great innovator?

I did. Sooooooo much more to it than inventing a new offense or some such innovation. Google will quickly inform anyone who is genuinely interested in whether or not the guy is an innovator in terms of the overall job of being a head coach. Or we can just recall the Saban Rule- created in response to how he changed recruiting- and how he in turn responded to that by immediately beginning to use Skype. 

The dude keeps one foot in the future. It's why his teams are *always* ready to play, unlike ours or just about any other team in the country. It's not just talent, as you said.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I did. Sooooooo much more to it than inventing a new offense or some such innovation. Google will quickly inform anyone who is genuinely interested in whether or not the guy is an innovator in terms of the overall job of being a head coach. Or we can just recall the Saban Rule- created in response to how he changed recruiting- and how he in turn responded to that by immediately beginning to use Skype. 

The dude keeps one foot in the future. It's why his teams are *always* ready to play, unlike ours or just about any other team in the country. It's not just talent, as you said.

LOL!

He can prepare a coaching staff and his players like no other in the college game today.  Everybody knows their job and they are held accountable - the attention to detail is OCD.

I won't lie, Kirby Smart learned valuable lessons on how to run a program - now Smart has direct access to some of the best talent in the country, he's also got a willing and capable booster network, and the UGA Administration loves what they are seeing so far, they will open the coffers to help in any way.   That's about to be a seriously dangerous opponent, not some flash in the pan team.

31 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You mean the former coach at UGa   :)    

Yes, the .739 winning % current coach at Miami.

On 3/28/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mikey said:

And the ten wins were on _______(fill in the blanks, anybody but Gus). :thumbsdown:

Our 10 wins last year.  Yes we won 10 and the offense put up numbers but dang look who we played

GA Southern- enough said
Mercer- Made it very interesting
Ole Miss- Horrible last year
Miss ST- Horrible
Arkansas- Really Horrible
Texas AM- Not very good
LA Monroe- enough said
Mizzou- Really bad
UGA- Kudos to Gus. I give him all the praise for this one
Bama- Same as above

Outside of the UGA and Bama games we did not have a victory over any impressive opponents to beat our chest about.  2 Head coaches were fired and one left for another school.  The problem with Gus' offense is that it works against mediocre teams and struggles mightily against good defenses.  There is not a team outside of UGA and Bama last year that we beat that even has a pulse.  If we can't run up the middle at will in this offense then it is over.  Uga finally figured this out and sent Roquan Smith on run blitz after run blitz in the second game.  He killed the run and pressured JS from getting anything done in the passing game.  Everything most posters on this board are screaming for are plays to be ran to combat an aggressive defense.  Make them play honest without being able to take any part of our offense away completely in a game.  Gus won't do it.  I think Buford High School here in GA could have set records against those defenses we played last year.

1 hour ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I do believe this to be true. 

16 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Our 10 wins last year.  Yes we won 10 and the offense put up numbers but dang look who we played

GA Southern- enough said
Mercer- Made it very interesting
Ole Miss- Horrible last year
Miss ST- Horrible
Arkansas- Really Horrible
Texas AM- Not very good
LA Monroe- enough said
Mizzou- Really bad
UGA- Kudos to Gus. I give him all the praise for this one
Bama- Same as above

Outside of the UGA and Bama games we did not have a victory over any impressive opponents to beat our chest about.  2 Head coaches were fired and one left for another school.  The problem with Gus' offense is that it works against mediocre teams and struggles mightily against good defenses.  There is not a team outside of UGA and Bama last year that we beat that even has a pulse.  If we can't run up the middle at will in this offense then it is over.  Uga finally figured this out and sent Roquan Smith on run blitz after run blitz in the second game.  He killed the run and pressured JS from getting anything done in the passing game.  Everything most posters on this board are screaming for are plays to be ran to combat an aggressive defense.  Make them play honest without being able to take any part of our offense away completely in a game.  Gus won't do it.  I think Buford High School here in GA could have set records against those defenses we played last year.

The stretch after the LSU loss was one of the most impressive feats I’ve seen in football until the SECCG. I mean damn. Absolute crushing steams including uat. Gus has it in him. 

Gets a new contract, before the SECCG, and goes old Gus. Afraid that is what we got now that Gus isnt feeling any heat. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I do believe this to be true. 

Chip moves on just in time for Kodi to take over as OC...

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Afraid that is what we got now that Gus isnt feeling any heat. 

I think that Green will apply some if he sees things becoming sluggish.

38 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The stretch after the LSU loss was one of the most impressive feats I’ve seen in football until the SECCG. I mean damn. Absolute crushing steams including uat. Gus has it in him. 

Gets a new contract, before the SECCG, and goes old Gus. Afraid that is what we got now that Gus isnt feeling any heat. 

Gus played his cards to perfection, bent AU over a barrel, inked a lucrative deal and AU kowtowed to Gus' demands due to the threat of his bolting for freaking Arkansas.  LMAO!

I would comment that on the offensive side, the losses in the SECCG and Bowl game had less to do with "the system" than it did with the overall performance of the offensive line. That was strange considering it was so late in the season.

Archived