Rhett comments on his departure

WFE12

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

Lion, there are no more "outliers" now that we have a sizable history with CGM at the helm.  That LSU game was Gus to a tee and he even admitted to making the decision to pigeon hole the offense in the 2nd half of the LSU game.  

It is an outlier to the discussion about trusting his staff, because we all know what happened in that game and there is no evidence that his staff disagreed with the call to try to run the clock.

A team that's "not ready to play" points directly to the Head Coach

I agree completely. Not saying Gus isn't the culprit behind the lack of preparedness, just saying that the notion that it would have been different had he had more trust in his staff is 100% speculation to advance a narrative that is without merit.

It's evident he has difficulty getting his team prepared and ready to play in bowl games, but at some point after 5 yrs he should make the necessary adjustments to his preparation process in order to clean up that deficiency. 

Agree with this as well. He has a lot to fix if he ever wants to be a truly great coach.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Had our D stopped Guice

You keep saying that but LSU only had 125 or so total yards of offense- and didn't score an offensive touchdown- in the 2nd half. They had 2 good drives in the first half and that was it. And that had absolutely nothing to do with us not being able to score more than 3 points in the 2nd half of a game that we only led by 6 at the half.

Against Clemson we

had 116 yards of total offense and gave up 11 sacks.

Or start with a preconceived notion and fill in the blanks with the narrative to make your case. 

You would seem to suggest that others are more guilty of this than you are.

the "Gus is calling the plays when things aren't working and isn't when they are" thing is literally just internet babble that has been repeated so many times

By staunch Gus defenders misrepresenting the opposing argument. 

unless someone is on the headsets with the coaches during the game to verify the claim, the whole narrative about him taking over is just that... a story that gives people who are upset about the game a villain to blame.

Or it's a perfectly logical conclusion that one might arrive at after watching the games.

PS- @Tiger, boy did you ever call the turn in the conversation, lol. 

Why would it be a shock or a surprise that Malzahn took over at halftime of a game or gave his assistants direction on how to proceed with the handling of a game from a certain point on? He's the head coach. This happens with a lot of teams all the time. Tuberville was well known for shutting it down when he felt comfortable - see 2005 Iron Bowl 2nd quarter on for an example of this. Why anyone would be surprised that Malzahn did and still does this is strange to me. He's perfectly within his rights as head coach to do this.

We can argue whether its a good thing or not but I'd say it's pretty obvious in the games - LSU was a very clear example. For the record, I understand his reasoning for this, but that TD they scored on the 4th and goal play should have shook him out of it. It didn't and things went bad from there. He's going to continue to do this - he'll do it again this year and next year and any other year he's at Auburn. Sometimes it'll work and no one will complain, sometimes it won't and we could get into trouble.

4 minutes ago, lca408 said:

Why would it be a shock or a surprise that Malzahn took over at halftime of a game or gave his assistants direction on how to proceed with the handling of a game from a certain point on? He's the head coach. This happens with a lot of teams all the time. Tuberville was well known for shutting it down when he felt comfortable - see 2005 Iron Bowl 2nd quarter on for an example of this. Why anyone would be surprised that Malzahn did and still does this is strange to me. He's perfectly within his rights as head coach to do this.

We can argue whether its a good thing or not but I'd say it's pretty obvious in the games - LSU was a very clear example. For the record, I understand his reasoning for this, but that TD they scored on the 4th and goal play should have shook him out of it. It didn't and things went bad from there. He's going to continue to do this - he'll do it again this year and next year and any other year he's at Auburn. Sometimes it'll work and no one will complain, sometimes it won't and we could get into trouble.

To his credit, he did acknowledge that it was an instructive moment. And I believe him, and I feel like it showed later in the season. (I think our 2 subsequent losses resulted from very different problems, and I don't think anyone blames Gus for the play-calling in them; only for not having another running back ready to go in the SECCG. That could've been a Horton problem, not sure.)

13 minutes ago, lca408 said:

It isn’t a shock that he does this. What is shocking is people still refuse to believe that he continuous to do this.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To his credit, he did acknowledge that it was an instructive moment. And I believe him, and I feel like it showed later in the season. (I think our 2 subsequent losses resulted from very different problems, and I don't think anyone blames Gus for the play-calling in them; only for not having another running back ready to go in the SECCG. That could've been a Horton problem, not sure.)

As the HC and the primary money maker, he gets all the blame like he gets all the credit. It is ultimately up to him to get things in order. If Horton , Hand or anyone fails, that is ultimately his failure as he has to sign off to the game plan and the directions. I am not big on scapegoats without accountability . One thing I do like about the puppy coach across the state line. When his team was getting pimp slapped, at half he said it was his fault that the players were not prepared. Sure enough they responded in the second half.

46 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You keep saying that but LSU only had 125 or so total yards of offense- and didn't score an offensive touchdown- in the 2nd half. They had 2 good drives in the first half and that was it. And that had absolutely nothing to do with us not being able to score more than 3 points in the 2nd half of a game that we only led by 6 at the half.

had 116 yards of total offense and gave up 11 sacks.

You would seem to suggest that others are more guilty of this than you are.

By staunch Gus defenders misrepresenting the opposing argument. 

Or it's a perfectly logical conclusion that one might arrive at after watching the games.

PS- @Tiger, boy did you ever call the turn in the conversation, lol. 

Yes... I've heard your talking points and I know you feel that you need to repeat them over and over again until everyone agrees with you. I also agree with @aujeff11 that the kinder, gentler you was more fun. The point I've tried to make here but everyone keeps trying to argue around in order to make this an overall referendum on Gus, yet again, is that, while it all falls at Gus's feet in the end, the idea that he is disregarding the advice of his staff, muscling them out of the way to do it all himself, etc. is a fabrication that no one has any proof to backup. It ranks right up there with the assertions that he doesn't actually care about winning.

As for the LSU game, let's face it Loof, the fact that you actually said Gus told Chip "not to score" tells me you've lost all objectivity on that subject. Let me know you can admit that going into a run the clock offense and staying in it was a mistake AND we still could have won had we executed better on the field.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

We didn't quit trying to score, we switched to a clock running offense and failed to execute... for which I lay a lot of blame on substandard O-Line play. We did the same thing against several other teams and continued to score, but LSUs D manned up. Yes, we should have switched back to our full offense once they scored, but whether anyone on the staff even suggested that is anyone's guess. Had our D stopped Guice, or had our line made a couple of holes it would have been a whole different result.

Against Clemson we were breaking in a very rusty QB and a brand new OC with a line that was basically swiss cheese. Gus hates rolling the dice on turnovers, and asking a QB who isn't comfortable to throw into traffic is just that. Also, to say we are screen, bomb or bust is categorically wrong. With Sean under center he threw for nearly 3000 yards over 2 years and, as has be gone over ad nauseam, wasn't very accurate with the long ball, so most of that 3000 yards was actually mid-range passes. Now, whether Gus's fear of the middle of the field is with merit depends on what he sees in practice, but if Stidham wasn't accurate in practice on those kinds of routes, or receivers weren't getting a step, I wouldn't throw there either. 

Or start with a preconceived notion and fill in the blanks with the narrative to make your case. 

We all know that Gus didn't just hand the reigns to Chip and say "It's your offense". No one who knows anything about offensive minded head coaches expected that to happen, but the "Gus is calling the plays when things aren't working and isn't when they are" thing is literally just internet babble that has been repeated so many times that people take it as gospel. Is Gus to blame for bad performances?  Yes... it's his team, and if they aren't ready to play, it's on him, but unless someone is on the headsets with the coaches during the game to verify the claim, the whole narrative about him taking over is just that... a story that gives people who are upset about the game a villain to blame.

I respect your opinion on this but do not agree with it. But I will say this, even the players were upset at the playcalling in the LSU game -- they know what puts them in a position to win the games and I'd venture to say the assistant coaches also can tell what is working and what isn't. When the announcers are calling your offense out to have such obvious fixes "give your QB some options" and " you have to stop forcing your QB into 2nd and 9" there is a big problem IMO.

I guess the alternative thought is that instead of Gus being hardheaded, not listening to anyone and not trusting his coaches fully is that he's actually an idiot who also hired a bunch of other idiots who can't tell, as a collective, when the ship is sinking through the course of 60 minutes.And I have a hard time buying into that nobody, especially CCL, brought this up as it is his job title to make sure the offense operates smoothly. The assistants may be green, but they aren't blind. While Gus may not have the trust in his staff to know what strings to pull, I am confident these employed SEC coaches know that some string has to be pulled rather than just continuing to do the same thing with the same result whether it be sacks -- 11 of them, or non-stop 3 and outs. Even Ed Orgeron said "we just changed 1 thing schematically and shut them down". Are you saying the entire staff had literally no answer to their one adjustment? If if is a case of flat out incompetence then the future is looking like we will be eating a lot more 3-5 losses per season. I am an actual football idiot and could tell something different needed to be done.

As far as spinning a narrative, you're pretty much doing that too. We all are lol. We are just expressing our opinions of why we think our team falls short of our potential.

I'd like to see some stats on Sean White if you have any. I could only find his passing chart for his first 2 starts -- 55 passes attempted and only 8 of them were attempted in the 10-19 yard range and 40 of those 55 passes were thrown either behind the line of scrimmage or within 9 yards of the LOS. Small sample size, but would like to see his other games if you have it.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yes... I've heard your talking points and I know you feel that you need to repeat them over and over again until everyone agrees with you. I also agree with @aujeff11 that the kinder, gentler you was more fun. The point I've tried to make here but everyone keeps trying to argue around in order to make this an overall referendum on Gus, yet again, is that, while it all falls at Gus's feet in the end, the idea that he is disregarding the advice of his staff, muscling them out of the way to do it all himself, etc. is a fabrication that no one has any proof to backup. It ranks right up there with the assertions that he doesn't actually care about winning.

As for the LSU game, let's face it Loof, the fact that you actually said Gus told Chip "not to score" tells me you've lost all objectivity on that subject. Let me know you can admit that going into a run the clock offense and staying in it was a mistake AND we still could have won had we executed better on the field.

Bolded is basically everyone on every talking point on this board, including you and myself lol

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I respect your opinion on this but do not agree with it. But I will say this, even the players were upset at the playcalling in the LSU game -- they know what puts them in a position to win the games and I'd venture to say the assistant coaches also can tell what is working and what isn't. When the announcers are calling your offense out to have such obvious fixes "give your QB some options" and " you have to stop forcing your QB into 2nd and 9" there is a big problem IMO.

I was unhappy with the play calling in the LSU game. When you are up by 20, go into run the clock mode, and don't go back to the full playbook until the 4th quarter when the other team starts catching up, that's just bad. That does not, however, mean that Gus took over or that his coaching staff made suggestions and he said no. Whether the team was happy with the play calling or not, they should also have been unhappy with their play. There were several miscues on D that cost us, whether it was C. Davis jumping a route and missing to give up a big play or numerous players failing to take down Guice on first contact, it wasn't good. And on O, Stidham just flat out couldn't connect with anyone (the majority of his production came from 2 long passes... otherwise he was 9 for 26... yes, you read that right, 9), and our line couldn't make a hole to break off a big run all game. So, yes, the decision to primarily keep it on the ground when they started scoring was bad, but it wasn't the only thing wrong with that game.

15 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I guess the alternative thought is that instead of Gus being hardheaded, not listening to anyone and not trusting his coaches fully is that he's actually an idiot who also hired a bunch of other idiots who can't tell, as a collective, when the ship is sinking through the course of 60 minutes.

Or they really thought that the team would pull it out. Stidham was having an off day, as is evident by his stats, so they rolled the dice on the fact that we finally had our 1 & 2 back in the game and tried to make something happen. The only people who know the absolute right answer for what to do in a game are the people who are figuring it out after the game is over and they know what not to do.

17 minutes ago, Tiger said:

As far as spinning a narrative, you're pretty much doing that too. We all are lol. We are just expressing our opinions of why we think our team falls short of our potential.

Except my narrative is that there isn't a narrative. Just a bunch of coaches working together to try to win football games and not always succeeding.

19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I'd like to see some stats on Sean White if you have any. I could only find his passing chart for his first 2 starts -- 55 passes attempted and only 8 of them were attempted in the 10-19 yard range and 40 of those 55 passes were thrown either behind the line of scrimmage or within 9 yards of the LOS. Small sample size, but would like to see his other games if you have it.

I'll see if I can find some. His first 2 starts are definitely not the ones to look at. Heck, his first year is questionable with the number of drops we had. Right now, however, I really should be working and not chatting to you all. Bad me.

32 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm sorry you chose to make this emotional and personal. 

It's odd that Jeffrey would say that. I put him on my ignore list a month or more ago and haven't interacted with him since. 

I wasn't being literal about trying not to score. I'm surprised anyone would take it as such.

As for us still being able to win with that ultraconservative plan, yes, we could have if we had played perfect football. I've never suggested otherwise. I've only countered the notion that the primary blame lay at the players' feet. 

Nobody's arguing around your "talking points", which I guess you don't "feel that you need to repeat over and over again until everyone agrees with you". We're merely stating an alternative possibility and providing the reasons why. You don't have any more evidence to support your opinion than we do ours. Regardless, this is not a court of law. There is no burden of proof and there will be no sentencing.

This has been about a very specific criticism of him and has gotten nowhere close to "an overall referendum". 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

It's odd that Jeffrey would say that. I put him on my ignore list a month or more ago and haven't interacted with him since. 

There is zero need for a deeper discussion into this but I’m going to point out just because you ignored me that doesn’t mean I can’t see how you post with others now. Weird, I know. I’ve noticed that you used to be very agreeable to most posters, with the modifiers and caveats flowing out your ass, but now you paint with broad brushes and agenda driven subjectivity and that is a stark difference in tone from you. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

There is zero need for a deeper discussion into this but I’m going to point out just because you ignored me that doesn’t mean I can’t see how you post with others now. Weird, I know. I’ve noticed that you used to be very agreeable to most posters, with the modifiers and caveats flowing out your ass, but now you paint with broad brushes and agenda driven subjectivity and that is a stark difference in tone from you. 

I'll also add that you, sir, used to be super grumpy and now you're one of the cooler cookies on the board. Big kudos for that my friend.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll also add that you, sir, used to be super grumpy and now you're one of the cooler cookies on the board. Big kudos for that my friend.

Thanks. I hope many more feel that way outside the political board. As far as I’m concerned, this is my safe zone and it’s totally cool to disagree on various topics.  

@McLoofus, You and I use to be Auburn football enemies. Now I can proudly say we have upgraded to AUfootball frenemies. I love you man! Is that so wrong?!

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Thanks. I hope many more feel that way outside the political board. As far as I’m concerned, this is my safe zone and it’s totally cool to disagree on various topics.  

You have a safe zone? HEY EVERYBODY JEFF HAS A SAFE ZONE!!!!!

2 hours ago, DAG said:

@McLoofus, You and I use to be Auburn football enemies. Now I can proudly say we have upgraded to AUfootball frenemies. I love you man! Is that so wrong?!

giphy.gif

If being your frenemy is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

(Ugh, out of reactions but internet beers to you and @Tiger Refuge)

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

melissaclick.jpg

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

If people can have their own opinions and disagree it seems the opposite of a “safe zone “ lol

Check out this image

[Mods/Admins - I believe that use of the holder-provided "share" link constitutes fair use of the clearly-marked copyrighted material. If I'm mistaken, please fell free to pull it down]

https://goo.gl/images/g5bHp3

Archived