2019 4* SDE/DT Jaren Handy Commits to AU!!!

LKEEL75

I know this guy has already committed & decommitted from LSU, but a top 100 DE has us as #1 seems like reason enough to create a thread about him.

Top-100 DE puts Auburn at No. 1 after visit

Jaren Handy, a former LSU commit, doesn’t plan on rushing into his next commitment.

The 4-star defensive end from New Augusta, Miss., committed to LSU on March 3 and de-committed two weeks later. Handy felt he’d made an abrupt, on-the-spot decision and wanted to collect his thoughts before making a final choice. The nation’s 96th overall prospect now plans to wait it out through the entirety of the process, ensuring he makes a well-informed pick.

“National Signing Day,” Handy told SEC Country. “No need to rush.”

That won’t stop Handy from being open about where his recruitment stands.

Despite the LSU de-commitment, those Tigers remain among the top few schools. The same can be said for Ole Miss, the only one of the two in-state schools making a serious push right now.

Following his decision to back off the LSU pledge, Auburn was one of the first schools to connect with him about a possible visit. Handy took that trip over the weekend, his first time on the Plains.

“Auburn is No. 1 now that I visited there,” Handy said. “They passed expectations by a lot. Meeting the people and meeting some of the players, it just was more than I expected. Probably because of the coaches. That visit, just how they are. It was real cool.”

Handy spoke with Gus Malzahn, Marcus Woodson and Rodney Garner on his visit. Those are the coaches one would expect a top Mississippi defensive end to speak with during a visit. Garner is the position coach, Woodson is the area recruiter and Malzahn is generally involved with top targets. All three preached early playing time to Handy, given the potential NFL draft overhaul coming up at the position.

Handy was particularly impressed by Garner.

“Mostly, I liked Coach Garner. As a guy off the field, he’s cool and everything. But you can tell when you put them pads on, you’re going to meet a different guy,” Handy said. “I like that. No, I love that. He holds you accountable for your actions. He wants you to be the best player you’re supposed to be.”

Handy wasn’t the only top Mississippi defensive lineman on campus last weekend.

Mississippi State defensive end commit Charles Moore accompanied Handy on the trip. The two want to play together at the next level. Handy made that clear during his conversation with SEC Country. Moore and Handy spoke several times with each other during the visit regarding the potential of playing together on the Plains.

“We could see ourselves playing there,” Handy said.

Other schools who can get into the mix, according to Handy, are Alabama, Mississippi State, Florida and Louisville.

He plans to return to Auburn on June 6. A little tidbit of news, in itself: That will be Big Cat Weekend, so the first weekend of June will be a big one for the Tigers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

4-star DL hopes to get 'reassurance' from next Auburn visit

Four-star defensive end Jaren Handy visited Auburn in March and left “very impressed.”

Handy wants to confirm those feelings. He wants to be sure of his interest in Auburn, and he’ll get the chance when he returns June 2.

“I’ll be there and I want to see if I get the same feeling as the first time I visited,” Handy said. “It was a real good feeling and I want to get reassurance of it.”

Handy, who is from Perry Central in New Augusta, Miss., will be one of many elite recruits in Auburn on June 2, which is the day of the Tigers’ annual “Big Cat” event.

Handy won’t make the trip to Auburn alone. His friend and fellow four-star defensive line recruit, 

Charles Moore, also is expected to attend.

“I talked to Charles and he will be there, too,” Handy said. “We’re both excited to get back to Auburn.”

Handy has developed strong relationships with Auburn defensive line coach Rodney Garner and area recruiter/defensive backs coach Marcus Woodson. Handy hopes to strengthen those bonds during the visit.

“I talk to Coach Woodson a lot,’ Handy said. “I actually talked to him (Monday). Our relationship just keeps getting better and better.”

Handy, a former LSU commitment, doesn’t list any top schools. He does hope to narrow his focus in the coming months.

“I’m going to take my time, take some more visits,” Handy said. “I don’t have any top schools, but I’ll probably release them over the summer sometime.”

Rivals ranks Handy, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 273 pounds, the No. 4 player in Mississippi, the No. 14 strongside defensive end in the country and No. 128 in the Rivals250.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

How do Handy and Pickering compare? Who do we have higher on our board

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

How do Handy and Pickering compare?

That's a question for a coach.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Who do we have higher on our board

Unfortunately we don't have acess to the staff's board but regardless AU appears to have a much better shot w/ Handy right now.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2018 at 9:46 AM, LKEEL75 said:

They passed expectations by a lot. Meeting the people and meeting some of the players, it just was more than I expected. Probably because of the coaches. That visit, just how they are. It was real cool.

Why do recruits keep saying we're better than expectations? Who is painting us as a dump? I've seen this a lot in this recruiting cycle with players talking about Auburn exceeding expectations.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Who is painting us as a dump?

The Short-short man, Bowl Cut, The Fisherman, & maybe Yabba Dabba Dabo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Why do recruits keep saying we're better than expectations? Who is painting us as a dump? I've seen this a lot in this recruiting cycle with players talking about Auburn exceeding expectations.

This is nothing new.  Been going on for over 60 years.

I think they are blown away by Auburn being totally made up of Auburn University and everything so close together! I walked almost everywhere when I was there. A lot of schools are spread out and in the middle of a big city that they have visited. Also the most beautiful campus in the states!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

The Short-short man, Bowl Cut, The Fisherman, & maybe Yabba Dabba Dabo.

Well done.  Is it sad I can figure out every coach listed there? Haha. 

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Well done.  Is it sad I can figure out every coach listed there? Haha. 

I got satan, notso, and dabba.  Not sure who “the fisherman” is....

It would be handy to get a commitment from this guy! And if his buddy CM decided to join him on the plains that would be icing!

31 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I got satan, notso, and dabba.  Not sure who “the fisherman” is....

It would be handy to get a commitment from this guy! And if his buddy CM decided to join him on the plains that would be icing!

Jumbo Fisherman

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot he joined the big leagues this year.  

He was doing it at FSU.

18 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have a legit shot here. 

Good to hear, I like this kid a lot. Solid size and flexibility. Again, anyone that coach RG wants I'm down with getting!

Kid reminds me of a thin Derrick Brown.  Can see him easily adding 30 lbs and moving inside with that great punch and first step.  Would love to see him in O&B

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

You know things are getting serious when you spot RIR in the recruiting section!
War Eagle indeed Jaren

• Like 3

On 5/24/2018 at 4:05 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Have a legit shot here. 

I have learned to trust your take on things!

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

You know things are getting serious when you spot RIR in the recruiting section!
War Eagle indeed Jaren

no uniform in all of college football looks as good as Auburn!  Regardless of the sport, I get chills when I see Auburn uniforms!

• Like 2
  • Love 1