dye gest...secondary, other tidbits

aubiefifty

scout.com

Making A Case for Defense

Pat Dye

3-4 minutes

)

It’s no secret that I love watching good defense on a football field and after taking an early look at the 2018 Auburn Tigers it is encouraging what I saw on that side of the line in the team’s initial spring training scrimmage.

The defensive front, considering who is returning and with how much talent and experience is there, looked strong in Saturday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium. I would have been very surprised if that wasn’t the case.

I was also impressed with the linebacker group. The Tigers have to replace 2017 senior Tre Williams, but there is a lot of experience back at those spots, too, and it looks like the returnees are improving.

The big question about the 2018 defense is how it will rebuild the secondary. From what I saw in the scrimmage the Tigers are making progress in that area.

It is my experience as a coach that in most cases you have a really big problem to deal with if your offense is dominating the defense during the first spring scrimmage. Fortunately for the Tigers, that didn’t happen. If the defense struggled it would have been particularly alarming when you consider the offense is working with a rebuilt line, the top running back from last year is gone and the starting quarterback wasn’t participating in the scrimmage as he recovers from offseason surgery.

On the subject of defense, you can tell that the Auburn softball team has worked on improving that aspect of its play. The pitching and fielding was the key to a three-game home sweep of another nationally-ranked team, the Kentucky Wildcats. There are signs that the group is growing.

I?like what I am seeing from Coach Mickey Dean. If his team keeps making it difficult for other teams to score, the Tigers are going to have a good chance to improve on their 31-6 record in the coming weeks.

For me personally this is a sad time because of the loss of my friend, Milton McGregor, who passed away over the weekend. As someone who lives outside of Auburn now over in Macon County, I know about the many good things he did for people in that area such as purchase notebook computers for every child in the county’s school system.

He was very generous in supporting Auburn University, but what I will remember most about him is that he was a good man who was always willing to stand tall to help the causes he believed in. He truly loved his state and wanted good things for the people of Alabama. He will be missed.

Click Here to Sign Up for Premium Content

Subscribe to Inside the Auburn Tigers Magazine and Football Newsletter

Archived