Brett Hawke steps down as S&D Coach

GwillMac6

• WarTiger changed the title to Brett Hawke steps down as S&D Coach

Just now, The Plainsman said:

Time for Green to Step Up!

BRING HOME D MARSH PLEASE!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the years you gave to Auburn swimming!  I wish you the best.

Where do we go from here? Any news on a new HC?  AD Greene needs to step up and do what he has to do to get Coach Marsh back on the plains.  If this happens, a chill will go up the spines of the SEC coaches and teams knowing full well what is to come and not being able to do anything to stop the huge orange and blue tidal wave that is about to swamp them!

On 4/15/2018 at 8:23 PM, doc4aday said:

Thanks for the years you gave to Auburn swimming!  I wish you the best.

Where do we go from here? Any news on a new HC?  AD Greene needs to step up and do what he has to do to get Coach Marsh back on the plains.  If this happens, a chill will go up the spines of the SEC coaches and teams knowing full well what is to come and not being able to do anything to stop the huge orange and blue tidal wave that is about to swamp them!

https://swimswam.com/speculation-front-runners-for-auburn-head-coaching-position/

Here is an article outlining possible candidates.

I hope Marsh will come home with a package that is enough to do the job. There are some interesting candidates for sure. Marsh is a no brainer though.

If we can't get Marsh back, I say go for Jess Book. He's only Division III, but since 2013 he's had 3 National Championships and hes the only Division III coach in history to be named NCAA Men’s Coach of the Year and the NCAA Women’s Coach of the Year in the same year. I bet we can outbid a Div III team.  Incidentally, the times they didn't win the championship, they came in second, except this year when they came in 3rd.

That is unless we can coax his predecessor, Jim Steen, out of retirement. He won 31 consecutive National Championships.

I hope this does not drag out for a long time and we bring Marsh home pronto!

20 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I hope this does not drag out for a long time and we bring Marsh home pronto!

amen. You said it brother!!! It makes the most sense and is logical!! We have been clamoring for him to come home since he left.

I thought we would have hired a coach by now. Not sure if this is good or bad. I think if Lopez was going to get the nod, it would have happened by now. This time wait could mean we are in negotiations with a head coach with a strong track record aka Marsh or the coach from NC State. Does anyone have any idea yet?

17 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I thought we would have hired a coach by now. Not sure if this is good or bad. I think if Lopez was going to get the nod, it would have happened by now. This time wait could mean we are in negotiations with a head coach with a strong track record aka Marsh or the coach from NC State. Does anyone have any idea yet?

I haven't heard too much. I know UCSD's end-of-season banquet was this weekend, so maybe we were waiting until now to approach Marsh. This hire is extremely important for the program, and I hope the AD is doing the due diligence to get it right.

2 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

I haven't heard too much. I know UCSD's end-of-season banquet was this weekend, so maybe we were waiting until now to approach Marsh. This hire is extremely important for the program, and I hope the AD is doing the due diligence to get it right.

If not Marsh, who do you think would be the best choice? I really like the coach a NC State.  I feel that Marsh will get the nod though. I think if he was not interested, he would have made it known by now; so this could bode well for Auburn.  I cannot wait till we start beating up on the other SEC teams in the pool like we did during Marsh's tenure.  Marsh leaving put a bad taste in my mouth for Jacobs knowing fully well that it was Jacobs who caused Marsh to leave.

9 minutes ago, monsterdb said:

NC State coach is an alumni of NC State and just signed a extension. No way he is coming to Auburn. He has that team in the top ten in Men and top 20 in women so I think he is set

I read though that if he came to Auburn he could earn likely $100,000.00 more than he is earning; but you are probably right about this. Who do you like as a candidate? I know Marsh is most folks first choice as is he mine.  We need someone who can recruit elite swimmers and coach them up into national championship caliber swimmers. My son was an elite backstroke swimmer through HS, but was burned out on swimming and turned down college offers. Swimming requires an enormous amount of time to be a highly competitive swimmer of which a lot of folks have no idea of the demands of elite level swimming.  I remember vividly taking him to 5 am swim practices most of his time from age 10 through 16 until he started driving.  He came home one day and sat down at the table and said his swimming days were over and he just wanted to have a life that he did not have as a swimmer.

Thanks to Brett Hawke for his efforts at AU. I know that he really worked hard to maximize the talents of the team members. They all competed hard for him and were well taught.

The problem was recruiting, not in-pool coaching. After the success of Marsh pulling in swimmers from abroad, Hawke just couldn't recruit that kind of talent.

I'm not loving anyone on this list as a real option for Auburn at this time. I don't really think the timing is right for Marsh. Most of the others are good coaches, but can they recruit at a level required to compete at the top nationally? Maybe Holloway, but I seriously doubt he'd leave right now.

Top of my list as *realistic* possibilities would be Arthur Albiero. head coach at Louisville and Kelly Kremer, head coach at University of Minnesota.

If you think about it, this is the first significant hire of the new AD. He has to hire a coach to resurrect the MOST DOMINATING SEC & NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP MENS and WOMENS sport in AUBURN history. I hope he is doing his homework!

1 hour ago, AURex said:

Thanks to Brett Hawke for his efforts at AU. I know that he really worked hard to maximize the talents of the team members. They all competed hard for him and were well taught.

The problem was recruiting, not in-pool coaching. After the success of Marsh pulling in swimmers from abroad, Hawke just couldn't recruit that kind of talent.

I'm not loving anyone on this list as a real option for Auburn at this time. I don't really think the timing is right for Marsh. Most of the others are good coaches, but can they recruit at a level required to compete at the top nationally? Maybe Holloway, but I seriously doubt he'd leave right now.

Top of my list as *realistic* possibilities would be Arthur Albiero. head coach at Louisville and Kelly Kremer, head coach at University of Minnesota.

Arthur and family are set in Louisville, they own the age group team, swim lesson program, has one kid swims on the college team and has two more in high school. I think the possibility is zero.. 

3 minutes ago, monsterdb said:

Arthur and family are set in Louisville, they own the age group team, swim lesson program, has one kid swims on the college team and has two more in high school. I think the possibility is zero.. 

Well that sucks

This is the only sport we're a blue blood in...up there with Michigan , Texas, Ohio State, etc. It's because of this that makes this hire important.

If not Marsh, I would expect us to look at Durden at Cal. They announced they will be limiting roster spots on the swim team and he could make more money here which would also go a lot further than it does in Berkeley. His wife is an Auburn alum too I believe. Durden is a good coach known for his primary coaching in the fly club. He always came up with creative drills.

31 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

This is the only sport we're a blue blood in...up there with Michigan , Texas, Ohio State, etc. It's because of this that makes this hire important.

If not Marsh, I would expect us to look at Durden at Cal. They announced they will be limiting roster spots on the swim team and he could make more money here which would also go a lot further than it does in Berkeley. His wife is an Auburn alum too I believe. Durden is a good coach known for his primary coaching in the fly club. He always came up with creative drills.

Berkeley is about as expensive as it gets as far as cost of living. Likely would get a big pay raise and $300,000.00 plus per year at Auburn is close to $700,000.00 in that region of California. I lived there when I was in the USCG and believe me, it is as costly as it gets. Auburn is a great place for NCAA swimming and a great coach will tear it up in a relatively short period of time.  Coach Marsh is in a similar costly situation living in the San Diego area. Both coaches would have a much better cost of living situation at Auburn and I am sure the salary will be extremely competitive.

Either of those two would be a good get. I just don't see it happening. I lived in SF some years ago and spent a lot of time in Berkeley, and I have friends I still visit occasionally in SD, so I know the cost of living out there is high. But so is quality of life, the cultural milieu. The reality is -- money is not everything.

As for Durden, Auburn might have been a "blue blood" in swimming at one time, but is no longer. Cal has been a top program for a long time and continues to attract very good swimmers. That will not change. I could explain why I think Auburn has zero chance of luring Durden, no matter how much money we throw at him, but lets just say, if Auburn did get Durden, it would be a big disappointment. Because recruiting swimmers to Auburn is not anything like recruiting swimmers to Cal.

I have heard from someone directly that our AD has not even reached out to David. I am somewhat surprised. He would return to AU and had hoped that this would happen. His daughter will be a freshman here in the fall. Interesting. This seems like it is taking a long time, not sure why. We need someone in place soon. Recruiting is so important. 

7 hours ago, swimmama said:

I have heard from someone directly that our AD has not even reached out to David. I am somewhat surprised. He would return to AU and had hoped that this would happen. His daughter will be a freshman here in the fall. Interesting. This seems like it is taking a long time, not sure why. We need someone in place soon. Recruiting is so important. 

I hope it is Marsh. I guess we really do not know what the AD is doing.  I am sure Marsh has to be on his mind and hopefully has been brought to his attention as to what a super hire this would be. The AD could score some serious points on the "We love the AD meter" if he reaches out to Marsh and tries to make a deal that Marsh cannot refuse. If not Marsh, the coach at the other California school whose name eludes me at the moment, is given strong consideration if the choice is not Marsh. We do need to get this done very soon. 

One thing about taking this long could mean we have some serious candidates that the AD is reaching out to and will know soon his intentions. I would be curious as to who Jacobs if he was the AD would go after. We know it would not be Marsh! I am glad that we hired AD Greene and have high hopes and expectations from him to hire the best out there in any sport positions that may become available.

Does anyone know how to contact the office of AD Greene?  We need to contact his office and express our desire for him to reach out to Coach Marsh. It would not hurt I am sure to do this!

Archived