AD : Pearl will return

aubiefifty

Auburn Basketball

Auburn AD: Bruce Pearl will 'absolutely' return barring new info from FBI, NCAA investigations

Updated 2:48 PM; Posted 12:09 PM

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl talks with athletic director Allen Greene Sunday, March 11, 2018, as they watch the NCAA tournament selection show at the Auburn Athletic Complex in Auburn, Ala.(Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

For the second time in a week, Auburn athletic director Allen Greene issued strong public support for Bruce Pearl, saying the intention is he'll "absolutely" be the coach next season unless something else were to arise from the FBI and NCAA investigations into Auburn's basketball program.

During an interview on WJOX on Wednesday, Greene said it is in Auburn's "best interest to stay the course" regarding the leadership of the program.

"I have not had a chance until I got here to really interact with coach Pearl and his staff and really to get an understanding a lay of the land," Greene said on The Roundtable Wednesday. "I felt that after being on campus for a few weeks and being around that team that I had a good enough chance to understand coach, look at his program and then just realize, you know what, we do have a great person here for us and we want to see that success continue.

"We want to do it the right way and it's unfortunate that the state of college basketball is where it is. We didn't get that way overnight. We certainly won't fix things overnight. But knowing the process of the FBI and NCAA investigation is - who knows how long it's going to be? But it's going to be lengthy. So, I think it's in our best interest to stay the course."

ADVERTISING

Asked if it's his intent and desire for Pearl to remain the coach, barring something changing during the course of the investigation, Greene responded, "absolutely."

Greene's remarks on Wednesday are even stronger than those he made during an in-house podcast released Friday, which he referenced during his radio appearance, during which he said Pearl has been "excellent" in the school's process of complying with the FBI's investigation into the program.

Pearl has been steadfast in his stance that he wants to remain at Auburn and believes he will.

"One of the things that's really important to the Auburn family is that we do things the right way," Greene said. "Bruce feels like he's done nothing wrong. He and I have talked about that and I don't have a reason to do anything other than what we've been doing and supporting him and his student-athletes."

The NCAA is reviewing Auburn's basketball program and reportedly over 30 others as a result of last fall's FBI investigation, which resulted in 10 arrests, including then-Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

Auburn Basketball

• WarTiger changed the title to AD : Pearl will return

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

:bananadance:

i know right?  lol   me too

I hope CBP is at AU next season.  I also hope someone grills Pete Thamel about how he would be shocked if BP were here next year.....question his credibility and ask how someone could take him seriously ever again.  What a tool.....

23 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

I hope CBP is at AU next season.  I also hope someone grills Pete Thamel about how he would be shocked if BP were here next year.....question his credibility and ask how someone could take him seriously ever again.  What a tool.....

Nobody should ever take hm seriously. He laid an egg on the non-existent "sociology scandal" several years ago, laid another egg in the Cam Newton fiasco and now yet another. He's a tool that is unethical to the extreme. I understand exactly what he is, what I don't understand is how he's still employed as a sports writer.

38 minutes ago, penguin149 said:

Well, since most of us think Thamel is a stooge...

giphy (2).gif

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Nobody should ever take hm seriously. He laid an egg on the non-existent "sociology scandal" several years ago, laid another egg in the Cam Newton fiasco and now yet another. He's a tool that is unethical to the extreme. I understand exactly what he is, what I don't understand is how he's still employed as a sports writer.

lets go get monkey faced and mess him up! who is with me?  lol

On 3/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, Mikey said:

I don't get it either....unless the bammers give him a nice salary to spread lies about Auburn. For those of you who think that's far-fetched....it's not and has been done before via a certain public relations firm. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 5:39 PM, aubiefifty said:

During an interview on WJOX on Wednesday, Greene said it is in Auburn's "best interest to stay the course" regarding the leadership of the program.

Understatement of the year.  ;D

Archived