Who jumped out to Mel Kiper from D-line

WFE12

Who 'jumped out' to Mel Kiper Jr. from 'phenomenal' Auburn defensive line?

Updated on Mar 28, 2018 at 04:07 PM CDT
By James Crepea
One Auburn defensive lineman made a big and consistent impression with ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr.

The network's lead NFL draft analyst said Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown, who had 56 tackles with nine for loss including 3.5 sacks with two forced fumbles as a sophomore last season, is "the guy to watch" on a "phenomenal" defensive front this fall.

"Derrick Brown is an unbelievable talent," Kiper said. "He's the one that jumped out. I mean I circled him in just about every game I saw. Derrick Brown, Derrick Brown, I'm looking at the circles, he is a guy that definitely jumped off the page. ... He's got rare, rare talent.

Brown will be eligible to enter the 2019 NFL Draft if he chooses and the same goes for Auburn defensive end Marlon Davidson. Fifth-year defensive tackle Dontavius Russell will be in the 2019 draft regardless.

Where Auburn's D-line aims to improve to be 'more dominant' in 2018

Early 2019 mock drafts range on projections for Auburn's defensive linemen with Walter Footballprojecting Davidson as the No. 14 pick. NFLDraftScout.com ranks Russell No. 9 among defensive tackles , with Davidson No. 7 among 2020 defensive ends and Brown No. 8 among 2020 defensive tackles .

"That is a phenomenal group," Kiper said. "That to me is like what we talked about with Ohio State, Clemson is going to have an incredible defensive line returning with all those kids. Clemson and Auburn are going to rival each other in terms of great, great defensive lines. ... I think that Auburn defensive front, as I said will be along with Clemson, producing an awful lot of NFL prospects."

I like what I’m hearing!

2 hours ago, AidiAU said:

Too early to claim him as my football crush? 

I already claimed mine. :jump:

@ValleyTiger Might be time to start the Man crush thread early!!!!! I'm trying to claim mine before it's too late. @bigbird already claimed my homie smoke!!!!! Guess it's fair since he's been on him before me so.........I will claim Joey G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

@ValleyTiger Might be time to start the Man crush thread early!!!!! I'm trying to claim mine before it's too late. @bigbird already claimed my homie smoke!!!!! Guess it's fair since he's been on him before me so.........I will claim Joey G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seconded. (Thirded?)

Having a tough time with mine. Shivers will be that guy eventually, but I can't pick him before he even gets to campus. That's just disrespectful to the upperclassmen. Hopefully I'm ready when Valley pulls the trigger. #pressure

The ability to have high end draft picks especially on the defensive side of the ball cant be stressed enough.  Bama’s ability to have 2-3 1st rounders every year is half the reason they recruit 5* talent up front.  I have a feeling UGA is gonna start getting that type of talent as well.  Gus is gonna have to keep Auburn in the game recruiting wise or we’ll get left behind by our two big rivals.

16 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The ability to have high end draft picks especially on the defensive side of the ball cant be stressed enough.  Bama’s ability to have 2-3 1st rounders every year is half the reason they recruit 5* talent up front.  I have a feeling UGA is gonna start getting that type of talent as well.  Gus is gonna have to keep Auburn in the game recruiting wise or we’ll get left behind by our two big rivals.

Really hoping Carl Lawson can build on what he did last year, and that Cincinnati can get to the playoffs. Very, VERY quietly one of the most impressive rookie performances in the league last season. If we start getting him announced in the starting lineup for prime time games, he's going to be the gift that keeps on giving. 

Somebody on this forum made a snide remark to me about a year ago when I said Brown may wind up being the best DL ever to play at Auburn. Wish I could remember who it was.

Archived