Sad news -- Zach Gilbert

AlaskanFAN

Former Auburn University football player dead in suspected suicide

Auburn's Zach Gilbert (38) carries the ball after intercepting a pass by Tulane's Lester Ricard intended for Brian King in the second half of their game at Jordan-Hare Stadium on the campus of Auburn University Saturday, Oct. 21, 2006. (Press-Register, Bill Starling)

A former Auburn University defensive back was found dead in his Birmingham apartment on Wednesday in a suspected suicide.

Zach Gilbert, 33, was discovered at 1:40 p.m. inside his home in the 2700 block of 11Th Avenue South. Gilbert died from a gunshot wound, according to the Jefferson County Coroner's Office. Coroner's and police officials said the death remains under investigation but said the gunshot wound is believed to be self-inflicted. There was no indication of foul play.

Gilbert played for Auburn as a walk-on from 2003 through 2006 and played in every game his senior year. According to a 2015 article on Auburn University's official website, Gilbert graduated from Auburn in 2007 with a degree in public administration and then began pursuing a career in the NFL. When the NFL didn't work out, he returned to Auburn to get his MBA.

He graduated with his second degree from Auburn in 2011 and eventually went to work as a Vice President Financial Consultant for Regions Investment Solutions in Birmingham. His left that job last year.

Wow...what a shame....Sad for his family and friends......we never know what is really going on in a person's life....even some who seem to have a lot going for them. 

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Wow...what a shame....Sad for his family and friends......we never know what is really going on in a person's life....even some who seem to have a lot going for them. 

So true. Makes you wonder how many senseless tragedies could be prevented if we all showed a little more compassion with everyone.

Prayers for his friends and family.

• WarTiger changed the title to Sad news for former player Zac Gilbert

Prayers to His family-- AND AS A Pastor and Minister of almost 35 years---

If you are hurting, find someone to talk to.  Don't try to handle it by yourself.  There is always a way out, regardless of what it looks like.....  I will be glad to talk with anyone, totally confidential......  God bless Zac's family and give them comfort.

Prayers for his family.  Suicide is not the answer.  There are always people who care for and love you.  Seek help from them, a pastor or a professional if you even have thoughts of suicide. 

Dontarrious Thomas ...

RIP Zach. Heart broken to wake up and hear about another Aubrother gone too early. I remembered what a great person, teammate, and brother you were. I was very proud of how hard you worked and the dedication you put forth on and off the field. To come on as a walk on and work through adversity and achieve your dreams. You are truly someone that proved with a strong will and determination you can achieve anything. With that strong spirit and will power Zach you are a great inspiration. I’m going to miss your positive energy of being around you when i would come back to the planes and we get to catch up and laugh about the good ole days. They say even though someone could be smiling on the outside you never know what demons they may be battling within. You will truly be miss and my condolences and prayers goes to you, your family, your au teammates, and the rest of the Au family. Love you brother and War Eagle!!

https://www.facebook.com/dontarrious.thomas.3

This was one of my best friends. He is a guy I played football with. He is a person I would get alot of insight from when I posted and I'd stand on the word of what I said and i didn't care who someone would say was an insider because I knew I was getting things from the horses mouth. He was one of the pride and joy from Florence Alabama, NOBODY out worked this guy. Nobody here has to get what kind of person he was from any second hand talk.....I can tell you a hundred stories about the kindness of this man......I just thought I'd write this. I'm gone again. Man I'm so hurt

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This was one of my best friends. He is a guy I played football with. He is a person I would get alot of insight from when I posted and I'd stand on the word of what I said and i didn't care who someone would say was an insider because I knew I was getting things from the horses mouth. He was one of the pride and joy from Florence Alabama, NOBODY out worked this guy. Nobody here has to get what kind of person he was from any second hand talk.....I can tell you a hundred stories about the kindness of this man......I just thought I'd write this. I'm gone again. Man I'm so hurt

Cole, I'm so sorry man. So sorry. Hang in there man. 

Sad news and a sad story whenever anybody feels so hopeless that suicide becomes an option. 

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Very sorry, brother. FWIW, you're doing right by him to let people know these good things about him. 

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

Cole I am deeply sorry for your loss.

The world has lost a wonderful young man, and you have lost a treasured friend. Your words are an honor to him.  

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

So very sorry, Cole. 

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Sorry for your loss Cole. I always enjoyed watching Zac play. Sad to see a great guy have a life cut short.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Man... so sorry to hear this brother. It really drives home how these guys we talk about wearing the orange and blue aren't just football players, but people with real lives and friends/family who really care about them. It's so sad that some of the people with the biggest hearts are the ones that society tears down the most. I can't say that I know how you are feeling, but I can say that I care, and I hope that helps a little.

Cole, I am so sorry.  I can't begin to understand losing a friend, but I understand grief all too well lately.  May God wrap you in his arms and may He comfort Zac's family. It will take time, but we are here for you.  

On March 29, 2018 at 9:24 PM, cole256 said:

Cole, I am very sorry for your loss.  It is never easy to lose a friend or family member.  It is especially hard to lose one this way.  I know, I have lost family and friends by suicide.  It is hard for us to understand but all we can do after the fact is hope and Pray that he has found peace.  Hang in there brother.  

On 3/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, cole256 said:

Sorry to hear that cole. Hang in there.

• WarTiger changed the title to Sad news -- Zach Gilbert

Archived