Davion Mitchell Transferring

tigerbrotha12

Guess he saw Harper and Doughty ahead of him? Man I thought this guy would really turn out to be a solid player for us. I didn’t think he would necessarily be hurting for minutes next year, but I guess he wants to be the big time guy. Who knows. Darn. 

• Like 2

I am sad to hear this. I understand him wanting to start somewhere.  In my opinion, he will not start at a P5 school or top mid major school.  He added depth at PG that we desperately needed and will miss next season.  It seems that when our depth issues begin to look better this stuff happens.  So now we will be +1 with scholarship players over this season. 

• Like 1

Not unexpected at all. Hate that we're losing a player, but honestly, he and Dunbar are the ones we could afford to lose. I do hate it, bc I know he was a hard worker, and I believe that in time he could be an excellent PG. 

6 minutes ago, around4ever said:

I am sad to hear this. I understand him wanting to start somewhere.  In my opinion, he will not start at a P5 school or top mid major school.  He added depth at PG that we desperately needed and will miss next season.  It seems that when our depth issues begin to look better this stuff happens.  So now we will be +1 with scholarship players over this season. 

He’s an outstanding ball handler, plays good defense, and can run the floor. This is a big loss and he will start for a good team for sure. Hate this a lot. 

• Like 8

Big big loss.  I actually thought Davion played better down the stretch then Harper did.  After Mac got hurt Harper seemed to fall in love with the pick and pop offense but was also bleeding the clock down and slowing the offense.  When Mitchell would relieve him we’d go back to hurry up spread th ball around but Mitchell couldn’t score like Harper and he would pass up easy shots at the rim as well on drives instead of finishing he would look to dump off to interior players

• Like 5

Maybe so.   I hope he does land with a good team and gets an opportunity.  I thought he was a good ball handler but not outstanding.  But, he will be missed.  

13 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

Not unexpected at all. Hate that we're losing a player, but honestly, he and Dunbar are the ones we could afford to lose. I do hate it, bc I know he was a hard worker, and I believe that in time he could be an excellent PG. 

He is our second best perimeter defender besides bryce. He can lock you down. He was going to get a lot better. Him and dunbar are not even in the same league. Davion was going to end up being a star for us. This is a big loss. When him and bryce were in the game together they would totally lock down the other teams guards a lot of times. He had a better freshmen season to me than harper.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 8

:{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ going to miss you davion!!! WAR EAGLE!!!! but my heart is bleeding right now! 

• Haha 1

Among other things we needed him when Harper had brain lock and committed some needless fouls and had to spend time on the bench.    We talk about BP doing some recruiting.....this where he needed to do it.    Usually better to keep the guys you have than have to find a comparable or better replacement.  

Hope he does well but sure hate to see him leaving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This sucks he was going to be a hell of a PG for us down the line. He was just getting his feet wet. With Harper we are going to need a third ball handler IMO because there are just some teams that can take him out of the game due to sheer size and really obstructing his passing angles and ability to get to the basket. Well, now we're down to Samir Doughty and Harper but we are in dire need of a third IMO. This sucks because Davion's ceiling was really high. I have not seen Samir play but I have read he's a combo guard who has a scoring mentality - not quite spot up shooter but scorer. This is a big blow to our immediate trajectory IMO because it really throws the balance of our team off. If we don't have anybody else who can make plays or make everyone else's job easier that is trouble for us. 

Maybe we pick up a grad transfer PG who wants to make a run into March but is ok with not starting? Eh, not likely to find one like that but I'm not sure where we turn from here. Is there a chance we get in late on a HS senior now that Bruce's job seems to be on solid ground? This is bigger than potentially losing Mustapha IMO because Danjel is on the way.

2 hours ago, AUbehemoth said:

Wow. Thought he was being groomed to take over.

The problem with eventually taking over Harper as heir apparent is that he couldn't take over pg until Harper left and unfortunately Mitchell would be a Senior. 

Just didn't want to wait that long. 

• Like 3

Is this part of a mentality that says if i don't see success now i will move on to find it somewhere else, instead of putting the time in to get better? Just wondering or maybe there's more to the story than we will ever know. :dunno:

• Like 1

Maybe he doesn't see himself as a 4 year player and being behind Harper would not give him an opportunity to start for a long time. 

Is there anything else to this that insiders would have any insight to? 

boomstick did warn us to expect someone transferring just plainly due to wanting more playing time.  I wish him nothing but the best.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

boomstick did warn us to expect someone transferring just plainly due to wanting more playing time.  I wish him nothing but the best.  

I can see wanting more playing time but also good to be playing for a team that is on the rise.  So he is going to sit a year somewhere for a year and will have to hope that he is the "man" when he regains eligibility. ..JMO but that's a pretty high risk plan ...unless he drops down a level,

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Yeah, crazily enough, he wasn’t one I thought would leave. None of the guys who I thought were most likely to leave were names I was told are considering leaving. 

Sounds like Doughty is going to be the backup PG and might’ve been part of the reason for his departure. Doughty has apparently blown some people’s minds with how good he’s been and how good they think he can be in our system. I hate losing Davion because of his defense, but I don’t think he was ever going to pass Harper as the starter. So, his first chance to start was likely going to be his senior year. 

Edited by boomstick
  • Sad 1

He was impressive as a freshman on the defensive side.  I don't think he would ever been a scoring point guard?  I just think he saw the door closing to playing time, which was peculiar with the way Pearl substitutes.  But i guess he wants to start.  But he needs to be somewhere where he can play more i suppose and that is more important than to be on a part of something big next year.