Davion Mitchell Transferring

tigerbrotha12

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Also since when did Baylor become Auburn transfer U?! First carlee wallace goes there and now D mitch?! WHAT THE HECK?????

We got Stidham for two players to be named later...so guess this fulfills the trade..?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AU64 said:

We got Stidham for two players to be named later...so guess this fulfills the trade..?

touche 64!!! lol.

44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Davion could do really well there. Much better chance to succeed than Georgia Tech.

I think it's a really good fit too.  

Is it fit or playing time for him?  Just curious cause I assume Baylor has other point guards that will require Davion to compete for minutes.  

Go sign 6'3" PG Ty Fagan, AAAA Georgia player of year and leader if Darrell Lockhart's 63-0 Upson Lee basketball ream and back-to-back State Champs. Beat UGA, Ole Miss, and others for this young man's talent. Former signee with Middle TN who gets out of scholly when the Middle TN coach moved to Ole Miss as HC. 

• 1 year later...

This transfer still baffles me... Davion had to sit out an entire year, and for what? So that he could be the man at Baylor in 2019/20?

Davion could have accomplished the same thing at Auburn without sitting out a year. He could have developed another year while coming off the bench, played in a Final Four, and been the man at Auburn in 2019/20. 

Mitchell & Heron had to really been kicking themselves after transferring last year.

Mitchell was more surprising to me than Heron. I think Heron was expecting a quick pit stop at AU on his way to the NBA. However those dreams of the NBA were not coming fast enough. So he tried a change of scenery to try and revive those dreams. From a bball perspective i don't think Heron gained or lost much by transferring. He didn't have to sit out a year and he got to be the #2 option at St Johns. He is still a fringe NBA prospect but he would likely still be a fringe NBA product had he stayed at AU. Maybe he could have improved his NBA stock a bit during the deep tourney run we had?? I dunno, maybe we don't go on that deep run with him on the team. We missed his ability to get to the rim big time but adding talented pieces to a team does not always make said team better. 

I didn't understand Mitchel transferring when it happened and i don't understand it now. If his ultimate goal is to get to the NBA then there is no way he helped himself by sitting out a year and not playing basketball. But let's see what the future holds. If he balls out a Baylor the next 2 seasons and gets a shot at the NBA it would be hard to argue that he made a bad decision. If he doesn't ball out then he wasted a really good setup he had here. 

Its all easy to go back later a see how things played out. When Mitchel transferred no one thought Harper would leave early for the NBA. Maybe Mitchel didn't think he had the scoring chops required from the PG position in Pearls offense? Maybe he didn't want to sit behind Harper for what looked like a for sure 2 more seasons at the time. Maybe some cute girl at Baylor friended him on social media and convinced him to transfer lol....

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

This transfer still baffles me.

It was pretty simple actually. He didn't expect Jared Harper to make the huge progression he made from Fresh to Soph year so DM thought he would win PG1 some time during his freshman year. When that didn't happen & thinking Harper would be at AU through his SR year DM later thought he may not be PG1 til his SR year. If he wins the starting job this year then I can't blame the kid as he will be starting at a school in one of the toughest conferences in basketball as a ES Soph.

1 hour ago, CameronCrazy said:

Mitchell & Heron had to really been kicking themselves after transferring last year.

Heron's not. He transferred for family reasons.

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

This transfer still baffles me... Davion had to sit out an entire year, and for what? So that he could be the man at Baylor in 2019/20?

Davion could have accomplished the same thing at Auburn without sitting out a year. He could have developed another year while coming off the bench, played in a Final Four, and been the man at Auburn in 2019/20. 

And what is even more baffling, is that when we first got Heron, everyone assumed and talked about him being the first to get a crack at the NBA. 

Well now, a couple years later, Okeke is drafted first round, Brown and Harper declare for draft in their JR years and are playing well in the summer leagues w their 2 NBA teams they hope to land on, and Heron is nowhere around the NBA and will enter his SR year at St Johns.

Who would have thunk it????

8 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Not like we should be, probably would've won the title with him

Davion could have played the 2 some couldn’t he?  I can’t recall his height but if I recall he was long.  He seemed to play above his age and didn’t mind playing scruffy.

• 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Having a great game against the zags in a blow out and some bling ring. 

Yeah, I'd say things worked out pretty good for him.

This looks like a good place to say congrats to Davion on the championship. He had a very legitimate reason for transferring when Harper won the starting PG job over him. This is a great example of when the transfer is used correctly and all sides are happy with the result. I would have loved seeing Davion lead AU for the past couple of season but can't blame the kid for seeking a better chance at immediate playing time. I enjoyed the one year we had with him and i am not surprised and the great player he turned out to be. 

Archived